Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

c***s, there should be a law that stops them cancelling then reselling at higher price. Maybe there is?

I had a quick look and seems they can do what they want! Despite the fact I had booked a non refundable room, and couldn’t cancel myself.  It obviously isn’t a good look for them, but assuming they won’t be caring! When you think you will be safer booking through a bigger company as well… 

The cost to book now isn’t even hugely bigger or anything either! 

Just need to complain, tweet and leave them a shitty review. 

58 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I had a quick look and seems they can do what they want! Despite the fact I had booked a non refundable room, and couldn’t cancel myself.  It obviously isn’t a good look for them, but assuming they won’t be caring! When you think you will be safer booking through a bigger company as well… 

Surprised to read it was a non refundable booking. I've heard of the free cancellation bookings getting cancelled and inflated, but not this.

Also surprised with it being a well known chain hotel. Did you book through a travel agent or a site like Expedia, or go to Ibis/All Accor directly?

17 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Surprised to read it was a non refundable booking. I've heard of the free cancellation bookings getting cancelled and inflated, but not this.

Also surprised with it being a well known chain hotel. Did you book through a travel agent or a site like Expedia, or go to Ibis/All Accor directly?

I cant talk for @No_Problemo however I booked directly through Ibis. I did go for the free cancellation option though and hadn’t paid anything yet however still frustrating. Got an Air B&B booked however the hotel was a back up incase they cancelled. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I cant talk for @No_Problemo however I booked directly through Ibis. I did go for the free cancellation option though and hadn’t paid anything yet however still frustrating. Got an Air B&B booked however the hotel was a back up incase they cancelled. 

That to me is sensible planning, you'd think a major hotel chain would be a more solid booking than an Air BnB. Nothing to back this up, but I'd imagine the 3rd party bookings would be more likely to be punted than the direct ones. Shows what I know!

45 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

It was non refundable, but I hadn’t actually paid anything yet so assume it was just secured against the card. 

Yeah - it was booked direct too and that was my exact thinking, that it would be safer with a big chain direct than third party etc. Just shows you!

Think I’ve found a better priced one a bit outside the centre anyway. 

I went through booking.com, refundable, I don't think it makes much difference if you go direct or not. Gambled on Berlin hoping both I get lucky re fixtures, and also that because Berlin is so big and have big events on all the time, they won't stiff me on the deal. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

ayrunitedfwjust told me that his booking had been cancelled, without an email to actually tell him. I’ve just went into mine and it is the exact same - not a word but cancelled on the online booking confirmation. 

I would be firing an email to the hotel manager and telling them if no satisfaction you are firing an email to the local newspaper there as well as their head office.  You can even threaten to turn up with placards once there to give them bad publicity.  You might find yiu sre not the only ones this happened to so might even be a news story here.

Weird they have cancelled it now. Not as if they would not have been aware the Euros were on next year.  

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

BTW, I've got a booked flight from Manchester to Berlin on June 15th with Ryanair that I can't use and would be willing to let someone have for the name change cost, I think £40. Might be worth bookmarking if prices go mental. I'll be using the return half so would have to see if it's doable to split the ticket with Ryanair. 

More like £120 to change name 

1 hour ago, immcinto said:

More like £120 to change name 

Aye, just checked. Think they must have upped it to stop agencies block booking and selling them on. I've deleted my post as it's way more than I paid for the ticket.

Booked accom in Berlin quite a while ago with AirBNB, cancellable up to June and flights from Glasgow > Amsterdam > Berlin. For anyone looking at AirBNB have a look at reviews for cancellations by the host as I think they automatically show up there, when I booked I spotted a lot like that and stayed clear of them. 

I'll probably swap location if there's no games in Berlin, Hamburg or Leipzig tbh. 

Is anyone taking there young kids across? I'll have an almost 4yr old and 1yr old by the time I go, I know that might sound ridiculous but when I first booked this I thought it would be fine, but it's a fun stage of parenthood and I'd rather we all went for at least part of it. Now looking at options as a family, but it's quite hard to find. 

Booked up at the weekend.

We are flying to Amsterdam from Edinburgh 14th-20th and train to Duisburg. 

Hotel booked and 'hopefully' secured.

Decent links from Duisburg to 4 host cities 15-45 minutes away by train.

In the UEFA ballot for all the matches in this area over those 5/6 days.

I had 7 apartments (7 different host cities) booked through booking.com and was going to await the draw before I made the next move, but peer pressure, and concerns about accommodation being cancelled has changed the plans.

Pretty content with everything so far, awaiting the draw....

2 hours ago, ScottMc77 said:

Booked up at the weekend.

We are flying to Amsterdam from Edinburgh 14th-20th and train to Duisburg. 

Hotel booked and 'hopefully' secured.

Decent links from Duisburg to 4 host cities 15-45 minutes away by train.

In the UEFA ballot for all the matches in this area over those 5/6 days.

I had 7 apartments (7 different host cities) booked through booking.com and was going to await the draw before I made the next move, but peer pressure, and concerns about accommodation being cancelled has changed the plans.

Pretty content with everything so far, awaiting the draw....

Are trains bookable just now from Amsterdam into Germany or is it like UK trains where you can only book so far in advance?

There was some talk of subsidies for trains to and from Germany and across Europe during the tournament, so I'd hesitate about booking early unless you find a really good price. They've already promised free internal trains and urban travel for ticket holders from 6am on match day to 6pm the following day.

I'll not get tickets through the Tartan army. But I've applied for four games in the ballot for the first week of the Euros (only time I could get off work) 

Not booked flights yet. But have booked accommodation (not paid and free cancellation) for three of the venues. Stuttgart, Munich and Dusseldorf. I've also applied for a game in Frankfurt, but I've family nearby so will stay with them. As for flights. I'll book for the cheapest in surrounding airports outside of Germany (Paris, Basel, Amsterdam etc, to avoid high costs) and get bus train into Germany. 

If I'm successful I'll book flights as soon as I get tickets. 

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

This website has lots of useful info on European trains. I think it says trains to/from Germany are open for booking 6 months in advance. European timetables change in December and June, so when booking before the changes for a trip afterwards, sometimes not all the options or fares come up. There is loads more info if you paddle around on the site.

Man in Seat 61

You  an check times and buy tickets on int.bahn.de

A wee trick to save a bit of money. You can get a train from Amsterdam, Eindhoven (Airport was bus into city, then train to Venlo. And switch to a cross border train (RE13) to Dusseldorf. I did this a few years ago when I went on a trip to Nordrhein-Westfalen area for a football trip. 

I'm at a conference in Frankfurt the week before the euros so I'm just going to stay in Germany after. Booked free cancellation hotel rooms for 4 in Cologne 15th-22nd and have applied for games with a few pals at the stadiums that are within an hour or so from there. On the one hand I think a week in Cologne will be good, but on the other hand it might be a better laugh being at whatever location Scotland are actually playing rather than just being in one place? I just don't know tbh. 

19 hours ago, Theo said:

Are trains bookable just now from Amsterdam into Germany or is it like UK trains where you can only book so far in advance?

I've not been able to book trains as yet, but apparently there's a train every hour from Schipol to Duisburg/Dusseldorf area.

14 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I'm at a conference in Frankfurt the week before the euros so I'm just going to stay in Germany after. Booked free cancellation hotel rooms for 4 in Cologne 15th-22nd and have applied for games with a few pals at the stadiums that are within an hour or so from there. On the one hand I think a week in Cologne will be good, but on the other hand it might be a better laugh being at whatever location Scotland are actually playing rather than just being in one place? I just don't know tbh. 

I'd keep that in reserve and look at accommodation again when the groups and games are announced.

1 hour ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I'd keep that in reserve and look at accommodation again when the groups and games are announced.

I wonder if there will be a few stories doing the rounds about people who've had their Euro 2024 trips ruined because of accommodation issues or people just roughing in one form or another. I'd definitely be hedging my bets and expecting accommodation side cancellations.

I have little real interest in being there in person for the tournament, although one game would be decent. Part of the reason for that is having to deal with all the logistical crap.

Edited by 2426255