Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Any tips on the best places on the trains for reserving a seat? 

It comes down to what you need and if you like to walk around the train often. 

Maybe aisle maybe on a table? If it's an after midnight one and you want to sleep then maybe window. 

A carriage closer to the restaurant cart if you plan to want to use it. 

Also is important if it's anyone's first time is just to look in advance on the platform where your carriage will line up once the train gets there. It will be on the electronic destination signs, and/or on a board somewhere on platform. Yes it's common sense for most people but if you've never taken a train like that before it saves you having to rush to the carriage (or miss it, just get on), especially when the train is only at platform for 40 seconds in some cases. 

23 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Never bothered booking specific seats, when went over to Frankfurt nobody seemed to be giving a f**k. I presume there will be unbooked carriages or just a general free for all?

There's no specific unreserved carriage, on busier trains you just need to find a seat which does not have it displayed above it as being reserved or risk being asked to move. With the expectation being some of the trains to and from host cities will be mobbed you could in theory end up standing all the way if all seats end up reserved. On some trains you may also see 'GGF reserviert' above some seats which means they are reserved for people who have missed connections due to delays so you're fine to sit there but might get moved if someone who has missed their connection and had reserved a seat on a previous train turns up. 

My experience is some Germans are quite happy to sit in a reserved seat and then seem annoyed if punted out the seat they haven't paid to reserve so I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Does anyone have a link to booking these trains? I've tried on ICE and EuroStar but showing nothing available from 19th - 24th June, unless these become available in the coming days.

DB sell from 180 days in advance so only up to the 15th June just now. Eurostar have their own sale dates so not sure about when they go on sale.

On 18/12/2023 at 12:32, Pie Of The Month said:

It doesn't recommend where to sit but I'd recommend vagonweb.cz for finding your exact train, the layout of your carriage and pictures of it to judge for yourself.

This looks like it could be very useful, cheers.

One small problem with the train I’ve booked from Frankfurt to Munich, is that I think the ticket says the seat reservations are in carriage 24 - but the train diagram on that Czech website shows the carriage numbers as going 26, 25, 23, 22. Which seems a bit weird. Ever seen that before on there or any idea what’s going on?

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don't have match tickets so was on the bahn.de website bang on 11pm (12am CET) to book tickets from Munich to Cologne on Sunday 16th. Cheapest at a reasonable time was €48  but lunchtime and afternoon fares were double that.

Advice is, book as early as you can.

Yes definitely.  Know your way around the website, and have a first and second option .  For the popular days, the trains even sell out after a few minutes (or the price increases).   The prices are higher than expected as some people had already bought them as part of group bookings (which have been open for longer) or a few other booking tricks.  

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This looks like it could be very useful, cheers.

One small problem with the train I’ve booked from Frankfurt to Munich, is that I think the ticket says the seat reservations are in carriage 24 - but the train diagram on that Czech website shows the carriage numbers as going 26, 25, 23, 22. Which seems a bit weird. Ever seen that before on there or any idea what’s going on?

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=DB&kategorie=ICE&cislo=529&nazev=&rok=2024

The 2024 timetable is just out and the site is just a labour of love for some train geeks so they might not have caught if the carriage numbers have changed on some trains. Even if the times don't match up this train in the link is near enough certain to be the same as the one you're on so the layout of 24 on this will more than likely be the same as the one you're on.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely with prices being €60 and well upwards of that, it is as well just reserving a seat on the ICE services you want to take and getting an inter rail pass…

That's what I'm doing, reserving seats on DB as they become available and waiting till Jan 17 to get the 25% deduction on a interrail pass. Thinking of getting the global version so I can take side trips like Poznan from Berlin, doesn't cost that much more than the Germany only version. The matchday €29.90 tickets that are coming out on Jan 17th as well are too time constricted.

Edited by welshbairn

Lufthansa cancelled our flights earlier today, Liverpool to Frankfurt from 13th to 27th June. Had gambled & booked cheap flights before qualification. Offered us Manchester to Frankfurt, same dates, similar times. Let us change it to earlier departure time on 13th & returning on the 24th, saved us 3 nights in a hotel with free cancellation so worked out well 👍

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's what I'm doing, reserving seats on DB as they become available and waiting till Jan 17 to get the 25% deduction on a interrail pass. Thinking of getting the global version so I can take side trips like Poznan from Berlin, doesn't cost that much more than the Germany only version. The matchday €29.90 tickets that are coming out on Jan 17th as well are too time constricted.

Yeah - I think that seems the best route to go down now. 

Got the initial day seats reserved, and just doing the Munich to Cologne one now too for the 17th. 

Just booked a train for Munich>Koln on Monday 17th for £28. We've got accomodation and flights out sorted so now just need to sort travel home which shouldn't be too hard from Koln. Gives us the chance to stay on for game 3 too if we want...