Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 26/05/2024 at 20:55, Sagan said:

There many going to be in Munich from Wednesday the 12th? 

Majority of folk I have seen on the TA facebook page appear to be arriving in Munich the night before/on the day of the game.

Four of us arriving in Munich on the 12th.

For anyone intending on buying the Deutschland ticket who haven't got it yet this thread gives details on how if you buy from the local Hamburg transport provider app then you can get it from part way through the month and save yourself money on it.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

For anyone intending on buying the Deutschland ticket who haven't got it yet this thread gives details on how if you buy from the local Hamburg transport provider app then you can get it from part way through the month and save yourself money on it.

Apologies, assume this has already been discussed, but to get the EUR 49 ticket for June only:

1 - We need to sign up before the 10th of June at DeutscheBahn 

2 - you then cancel the subscription before the 10th of June?

That will give us the June pass but not take the July subscription? I've read the DB site and think thats how it works but not 100% sure.

(quoted information is a nice tip,  but I'm okay just going through DB for full monthly amount)

Edited by The Holiday Song

8 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Apologies, assume this has already been discussed, but to get the EUR 49 ticket for June only:

1 - We need to sign up before the 10th of June at DeutscheBahn 

2 - you then cancel the subscription before the 10th of June?

That will give us the June pass but not take the July subscription? I've read the DB site and think thats how it works but not 100% sure.

(quoted information is a nice tip,  but I'm okay just going through DB for full monthly amount)

Yes that's right.

If you find the DB site to be a pain I've read that both the Bremen and Munich local transport apps are easy to use and easy to cancel before the next month.

Man from Seat 61's website gives easy instructions for the Bremen app.

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm#Deutschlandticket

I also don’t drink beer/lager because I’m a big fairy. Surely the fan zones will offer an alternative? Whether that’s wine or spirits

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

I also don’t drink beer/lager because I’m a big fairy. Surely the fan zones will offer an alternative? Whether that’s wine or spirits

Two of our crowd don't drink beer. It's never crossed my mind there won't be alternatives,  surely must be ?

The fanzones in the past have sold all sorts of other drinks as well as beer, I don't think anyone will have to worry.

UEFA's fanzone page is vague for some citiies then specifically mentions other drinks for some cities such as Hamburg as linked below and I can't see much difference in what's for sale in each fanzone with them all being official UEFA fanzones -

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/hamburg/festival/

The range of drinks also includes something for everyone. From soft drinks to beer, wine and cocktails, you can quench your thirst and (hopefully) raise a toast to your team’s victory!

I’m hoping someone can dumb this down for me. I’m flying Manchester to Frankfurt on the 19th, staying in Bonn and my train travel is included in the flight as is the return leg on the 24th. 

19th I’ll be going from Bonn to Cologne and at some point I plan on going to Liege for a day, do I need to reserve seats for all of this or can I buy a ticket at the station on the day? 

Just now, Aidan said:

I’m hoping someone can dumb this down for me. I’m flying Manchester to Frankfurt on the 19th, staying in Bonn and my train travel is included in the flight as is the return leg on the 24th. 

19th I’ll be going from Bonn to Cologne and at some point I plan on going to Liege for a day, do I need to reserve seats for all of this or can I buy a ticket at the station on the day? 

Bonn to Cologne will be regional trains, you don't reserve a seat and can buy on the day if you want.

Bonn to Liege it depends on your route, if you're doing regional trains via Aachen then again it's fine to buy on the day but check Belgian train lines for the Aachen to Liege part of the journey. If you're doing Eurostar from Cologne you'd probably need to be booking in advance to get any sort of decent price>

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Bonn to Cologne will be regional trains, you don't reserve a seat and can buy on the day if you want.

Bonn to Liege it depends on your route, if you're doing regional trains via Aachen then again it's fine to buy on the day but check Belgian train lines for the Aachen to Liege part of the journey. If you're doing Eurostar from Cologne you'd probably need to be booking in advance to get any sort of decent price>

I’m purely google mapping it and this is what it’s throwing up. Had seen something mentioned about a lot more trains needing booked in advance which isn’t an issue if need be but if I can get away with buying on the day it makes my life easier. 

IMG_0401.png

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I’m purely google mapping it and this is what it’s throwing up. Had seen something mentioned about a lot more trains needing booked in advance which isn’t an issue if need be but if I can get away with buying on the day it makes my life easier. 

IMG_0401.png

If you're using any of the trains shown there which is the fastest route then you'd be best to book the ICE train from Cologne to Liege at the very least in advance although you might be at the point now where it doesn't go up much in price between now and then. If going the Aachen route I mentioned then it takes a bit longer but you can book on the day and it's the same price so it really depends whether time/flexibility or cost is more important. Aachen route goes Bonn to Cologne on a regional train, change to another regional train to Aachen then jump on a Belgian train there (the Belgian trains from Aachen to Liege are 11.10 euro regardless of when you book, if you get an ICE train from Aachen to Liege it will cost more than that so don't get on the wrong one).

Your other option is Flixbus run direct from Bonn to Liege each morning and it's about 8 quid, takes around an hour longer than the fastest train route but then at least you don't have to change.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If you're using any of the trains shown there which is the fastest route then you'd be best to book the ICE train from Cologne to Liege at the very least in advance although you might be at the point now where it doesn't go up much in price between now and then. If going the Aachen route I mentioned then it takes a bit longer but you can book on the day and it's the same price so it really depends whether time/flexibility or cost is more important. Aachen route goes Bonn to Cologne on a regional train, change to another regional train to Aachen then jump on a Belgian train there (the Belgian trains from Aachen to Liege are 11.10 euro regardless of when you book, if you get an ICE train from Aachen to Liege it will cost more than that so don't get on the wrong one).

Your other option is Flixbus run direct from Bonn to Liege each morning and it's about 8 quid, takes around an hour longer than the fastest train route but then at least you don't have to change.

Cost isn’t too much of an issue within reason, aiming very much for flexibility. Thanks very much for your help, I’ll take a look at it a bit more nearer the time, bus might actually be a better option if it’s a straight a-b 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Cost isn’t too much of an issue within reason, aiming very much for flexibility. Thanks very much for your help, I’ll take a look at it a bit more nearer the time, bus might actually be a better option if it’s a straight a-b 

Any particular reason you are visiting Liege? i have a night there on the way over for the Hungary match but don't really know much about the city and we were just going to wing it for the day/night 

4 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Any particular reason you are visiting Liege? i have a night there on the way over for the Hungary match but don't really know much about the city and we were just going to wing it for the day/night 

A friend who spent a bit of time in Belgium recommended it. I’m travelling across to Germany on my own and flying out on the 19th so I have a few days with nothing planned after we play Switzerland. Plan is to just tour about a bit. 

I have been reading online that the "UEFA Fan Pass" should be appearing in the UEFA Euro 2024 app now. I have looked on my app (Android) and it is not there. I updated to the most recent version so it isn't that. Is everyone else able to access theirs?

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I have been reading online that the "UEFA Fan Pass" should be appearing in the UEFA Euro 2024 app now. I have looked on my app (Android) and it is not there. I updated to the most recent version so it isn't that. Is everyone else able to access theirs?

UEFA say 4th June on their website, saw some people say they'd go theirs but guessing it's yet another UEFA glitch as nothing showing for me.

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

To make use of your travel benefits, you will need your Fan Pass. The Fan Pass is brand new for EURO 2024 and provides access to exclusive perks which will enhance your experience on-site. Your Fan Pass is free and will be available for all ticket holders on the UEFA EURO 2024 app from 4 June.