Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

So far -

Got my ticket checked between Salzburg & Munich

Didn't get my ticket checked on the ICE between Brussels & Aachen (would've saved €50 if I'd bumped it)

Didn't get my ticket checked from Aachen to Köln going to the game last night or indeed on the train back.

Got my ticket checked between Aachen & Köln today but wasn't checked on the train back.

I've got multiple train journeys on Saturday as well as Sunday to/from Stuttgart so will see the final tally.

My way home after Sunday night doesn't involve any more trains until I'm back in the UK.

Boarded our ICE to Berlin yesterday and discovered the German comedian Henning Wehn and his mate had commandeered our reserved compartment. Ejected with immediate effect, and a comment of "Do you think you're funny pal?"

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Boarded our ICE to Berlin yesterday and discovered the German comedian Henning Wehn and his mate had commandeered our reserved compartment. Ejected with immediate effect, and a comment of "Do you think you're funny pal?"

Did you have to pay extra for these compartments? 

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

If you had a paid for seat reservation, then that is shocking. Should have told them to gtf. 

3 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Did a seat reservation for the ICE tomorrow - can anyone make heads or tails of which carriage it is? 

95978386-068E-4035-B051-70A938153235.jpeg

Having had a go using Google Translate, it chucks it back into English as...

2 seats, apartment 256, seats 41 & 42, 2 windows, table, large space

Which I'm guessing means Compartment 256, seats 41 & 42, at a table next to the window.

Still doesn't tell you which carriage compartment 256 will be in mind you.

1 minute ago, cdhafc1874 said:

Having had a go using Google Translate, it chucks it back into English as...

2 seats, apartment 256, seats 41 & 42, 2 windows, table, large space

Which I'm guessing means Compartment 256, seats 41 & 42, at a table next to the window.

Still doesn't tell you which carriage compartment 256 will be in mind you.

Cheers - compartment 256 it is. Wherever that may be! 

7 hours ago, German Jag said:

If you had a paid for seat reservation, then that is shocking. Should have told them to gtf. 

They were, on no uncertain terms.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Did you have to pay extra for these compartments? 

Just a standard seat reservation, like the old days ...

train-scene-ahdn.png

Well, we've been based in Munich all week, beautiful city. We're flying home from Schiphol so on a marathon train journey across Germany/Holland.

Our train reservation was for 10:45 but due to the delays we've jamp on the 08:45 ICE train, to Dusseldorf to get a connection to Arnhem.

We've sat in the restaurant carriage as I'd heard that those seats can't be reserved. This 08:45 train will get us into Dusseldorf 45mins before our scheduled connection.

It's just me and the wife, we're through Nuremberg and no ticket checks so far but my plan is to just argue my case as our original booking would mean that we'd miss our flight due to their delays 🤞

Slight delay to our flight out of Edinburgh to Düsseldorf but everyone still in good spirits and buzzing.

Can’t wait for the next week 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Slight delay to our flight out of Edinburgh to Düsseldorf but everyone still in good spirits and buzzing.

Can’t wait for the next week 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Mate, you'll love it. Fantastic cities & people. We've been out drinking with Germans, Austrian, Ukraine, Dane, Czech so many folk and they are all desperate to join in with Scottish craic.

We were mostly based in Munich, amazing weather, and just walking around with a Scotland top on the police were approaching us and saying how much they love Scotland and want us to do well.

Scotland top = celebrity status 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😂🍻

Chaos on our ICE train this morning from Dusseldorf to Stuttgart.

Seats appearing to be double booked and one even triple booked in my carriage. Folk having to stand in the aisle

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Chaos on our ICE train this morning from Dusseldorf to Stuttgart.

Seats appearing to be double booked and one even triple booked in my carriage. Folk having to stand in the aisle

Yup, the trains are chaos. 

The floods a few weeks ago have caused mayhem in the South especially. 

It's worth noting that if you're train is delayed or cancelled (which basically they all are) then there's substantial refunds to be had, through the DB website.

Sitting in Manchester airport and they've just cancelled the Munich flight. Greetin! 

Anyway my Hungary ticket is now for sale if anyone is over there needing one?

37 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Sitting in Manchester airport and they've just cancelled the Munich flight. Greetin! 

Anyway my Hungary ticket is now for sale if anyone is over there needing one?

Ouch, nightmare.

I avoid Manchester airport if at all possible. It's gotta be one of the worst run/managed airports in the world.

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I avoid Manchester airport if at all possible. It's gotta be one of the worst run/managed airports in the world.

Aye that'll make him feel better like

What a start to travelling home btw. Train delayed by 125 minutes due to a person being hit by the train in front. Arrived at the platform at Frankfurt Airport 49 minutes before my flight and somehow managed to drop my bag, get through security and passport control with 20 minutes to spare.

Sweat pishing off me and still can't quite understand how I've avoided the nightmare scenario of missing that flight.

DB emailed me this morning to say my train to Zurich had been cancelled, no more information was given.

Went to the station anyway as the hotel was next door, and further investigation plus chatting to other TA let us know that the train was running, we just needed to switch to a regional service a few stops before Zurich. So we got there with just a small delay. 

Rasps to the DB PR team there.