Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

Whilst the week before it was absolutely class, Stuttgart must be one of the worst places I’ve ever been to. I found the people so unwelcoming compared to Munich and Köln, and the city layout was incredibly odd. Water pishing from the Hauptbahnhof roof on the U and S-Bahn pushing everyone into one single segment of the platform surely couldn’t have been safe. The mile long walk from the train station to the, em, train station was slightly odd as well. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Whilst the week before it was absolutely class, Stuttgart must be one of the worst places I’ve ever been to. I found the people so unwelcoming compared to Munich and Köln, and the city layout was incredibly odd. Water pishing from the Hauptbahnhof roof on the U and S-Bahn pushing everyone into one single segment of the platform surely couldn’t have been safe. The mile long walk from the train station to the, em, train station was slightly odd as well. 

Stuttgart was notable for me for the almost complete lack of Euros related signage.

Munich, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Dortmund all had plenty signage both inside and outside key stations / on train info boards to get people to the fan zones and/or stadium. When I first got to Stuttgart the info board said to use Stadtmitte rather than Hbf for the fan zone, then had absolutely zero signage in or around Stadtmitte once I got there.

They also seemed to be actively directing people away from the U11 at Börsenplatz / NeckarPark (stadion) before / after the game. The U9 from Schlachthof then had no route info on display, and took a different route from the U9 on the way back from the game which wasn't helpful.

Seemed totally at odds to the helpfulness in the other host cities I visited.

I found Stuttgart friendly enough but couldn't get my head around the transport network, you'd get U-bahns seemingly going in opposite directions from the same platform. The hauptbahnhof will probably be fine when they finish the massive building works.

I liked Stuttgart. Found it much easier to find places to chill, which was very welcome for me after how packed Cologne was. I think that the tournament detracted from my experience in Cologne whereas it enhanced it in Munich. 

In all honesty, I'm just delighted that I don't need to spend any more time with Scotland fans until September. 

I arrived in Stuttgart yesterday for the Belgium Ukraine game tomorrow and have found the place to be pleasant enough. The city centre is a bit drab compared to most big cities in Germany, but the pubs and restaurants are good. I was here before in 2015 and I remember the train station being a disaster back then as well.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I liked Stuttgart. Found it much easier to find places to chill, which was very welcome for me after how packed Cologne was. I think that the tournament detracted from my experience in Cologne whereas it enhanced it in Munich. 

In all honesty, I'm just delighted that I don't need to spend any more time with Scotland fans until September. 

I think everyone by Stuttgart was just broken tbh 😂

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think everyone by Stuttgart was just broken tbh 😂

It felt very subdued all day, from folk on the train to getting to the ground. No wonder, it was a heavy week or two for some folk and probably a lot of nerves too. I had a bundle of nerves the closer it got

I didn’t mind Stuttgart at all, other than the Hauptbanhof as mentioned (the big walk along that tunnel seemed to take forever).

It maybe helped that I only arrived the morning of the game and then left the following morning, but we had a great time at Marktplatz I think it was called, where they had a big marquee fan zone set up and the 5 a side pitch.

I’d say Munich was my favourite so far though and we spent yesterday in Nuremberg which is absolutely lovely.

On to Frankfurt today for the Slovakia v Romania game.

Stuttgart had the best tram/tube system in the city by a mile. Fast and reliable with good capacity. City was meh, although it was cool seeing inner city vineyards. I spent the first couple of days in Dortmund and for me Stuttgart just shaded it 

50 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Stuttgart had the best tram/tube system in the city by a mile. Fast and reliable with good capacity. City was meh, although it was cool seeing inner city vineyards. I spent the first couple of days in Dortmund and for me Stuttgart just shaded it 

Was a breeze getting to and from the ground there compared to Munich, Dortmund and Cologne. Well signposted route with roads closed from Stadtgarten to the hbf to get to the stadium.

53 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Was a breeze getting to and from the ground there compared to Munich, Dortmund and Cologne. Well signposted route with roads closed from Stadtgarten to the hbf to get to the stadium.

I was also extra lucky that my hotel was in the north of the city, we had a line that took us to a 20 min walk from the ground - Mercedes strasse I think it was. No crowds at all. Was like heaven on earth especially after almost passing out on the cologne tram 

On 20/06/2024 at 22:49, cdhafc1874 said:

So far -

Got my ticket checked between Salzburg & Munich

Didn't get my ticket checked on the ICE between Brussels & Aachen (would've saved €50 if I'd bumped it)

Didn't get my ticket checked from Aachen to Köln going to the game last night or indeed on the train back.

Got my ticket checked between Aachen & Köln today but wasn't checked on the train back.

I've got multiple train journeys on Saturday as well as Sunday to/from Stuttgart so will see the final tally.

My way home after Sunday night doesn't involve any more trains until I'm back in the UK.

We flew into Baden Baden Airport. It was a bus and three trains from there to the hotel in Stuttgart and the same back, plus a couple of trains on the Saturday night into the city centre. Still waiting for someone to check my ticket on a train (had to show it to get on the bus in both directions though). I did have one so no benefit to me but never even saw a ticket inspector in my three days.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I found Stuttgart friendly enough but couldn't get my head around the transport network, you'd get U-bahns seemingly going in opposite directions from the same platform. The hauptbahnhof will probably be fine when they finish the massive building works.

23 hours ago, accies1874 said:

21 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

It felt very subdued all day, from folk on the train to getting to the ground. No wonder, it was a heavy week or two for some folk and probably a lot of nerves too. I had a bundle of nerves the closer it got

I enjoyed Stuttgart but I've no comparison point as I wasn't in Munich or Cologne. The atmosphere on the Saturday night in the City Centre was great. I didn't go into the City on the matchday as our hotel was near the ground. But even in Bad Cannstatt the atmosphere was ok, if a little tense and subdued, on matchday.

On 24/06/2024 at 13:15, Todd_is_God said:

What a start to travelling home btw. Train delayed by 125 minutes due to a person being hit by the train in front. Arrived at the platform at Frankfurt Airport 49 minutes before my flight and somehow managed to drop my bag, get through security and passport control with 20 minutes to spare.

Sweat pishing off me and still can't quite understand how I've avoided the nightmare scenario of missing that flight.

I was on that same train, ran most of the way when we got off, politely asked to skip a few Scottish people at security checks and a German lad let us through priority and got to the gate with about 20 mins to spare as well and then 'delayed 40 mins' fucksakes. They seemed to be really fucking around with boarding and multiple Scottish lads who despite not being in business or whatever boarding group was called next, kept on trying to board anyway... Wee German woman seemed to be getting irate. 

I'd have been one of the other lads sweat pishing off me if it was the 2pm to London. 

6 hours ago, thistledo said:

I was on that same train, ran most of the way when we got off, politely asked to skip a few Scottish people at security checks and a German lad let us through priority and got to the gate with about 20 mins to spare as well and then 'delayed 40 mins' fucksakes. They seemed to be really fucking around with boarding and multiple Scottish lads who despite not being in business or whatever boarding group was called next, kept on trying to board anyway... Wee German woman seemed to be getting irate. 

I'd have been one of the other lads sweat pishing off me if it was the 2pm to London. 

Honestly it was insane. I think I skipped the queue at security by going through the first class lane, then under the barriers at passport control, only to think I'd fucked it by running too far away from the wife and she'd gotten lost (she wasn't - she was waiting at the gate) 😂

An utterly chaotic experience I hope not to repeat.