Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

Booked for Stuttgart and Munich right after the draw. Had already booked Essen. Just flights and tickets (hopefully) to sort out now.

My original plan of getting the boat over looks less likely now due to Munich being so far from the Netherlands. Thinking now of doing Glasgow - London - Paris/Brussels then on to Munich on the train or flying to Austria or Switzerland and going from there. 

Glasgow to Stuttgart flights and then a two hour or so train journey to Munich for the opening game booked. It was £130 cheaper than flying directly to Munich and as the flight is 6am, we'll be in Munich by mid afternoon. Hotel also booked. Cannot wait.

Flights booked to London to get the (long) train across.

Staying in Augsburg, Haan and Stuttgart.

(Long) train back across.

Flight back from London.

Excluding the trains (which aren't bookable yet) had some discount codes meaning all of the above came to £296 each.

Buzzing.

I was able to book my trains from London - Brussels and London - paris. But couldnt book trains within europe

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Flights booked to London to get the (long) train across.

Staying in Augsburg, Haan and Stuttgart.

(Long) train back across.

Flight back from London.

Excluding the trains (which aren't bookable yet) had some discount codes meaning all of the above came to £296 each.

Buzzing.

7 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

I was able to book my trains from London - Brussels and London - paris. But couldnt book trains within europe

Maybe better to wait for the discounted Interrail pass that's been promised for the Euros, at least for the within Europe bit, although it might be available from Scotland for those less quick off the mark.

What are peoples plans for the Scotland games? I know I have no chance of getting tickets so will probably travel to Munich and Cologne from Frankfurt where we’re based on day of game and watch it in Fanzone then travel back after game/next morning. 

1 hour ago, Tartan Dave said:

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe better to wait for the discounted Interrail pass that's been promised for the Euros, at least for the within Europe bit, although it might be available from Scotland for those less quick off the mark.

Eurostar tickets can be booked 330 days in advance, however into/from the Netherlands and Germany only 120 days in advance.

From the brief look i have had there doesn't look like being much difference in price between London - Paris/Brussels and London - Netherlands / Germany so might be cheaper to wait.

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

What are peoples plans for the Scotland games? I know I have no chance of getting tickets so will probably travel to Munich and Cologne from Frankfurt where we’re based on day of game and watch it in Fanzone then travel back after game/next morning. 

Fanzones in the host cities is my plan

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Will try and get to Munich and watch the game in a fan zone but getting back to Frankfurt might be an issue.

Will definitely go to Cologne for the Swiss game because it's so close to Switzerland there is bound to be a great atmosphere.

I'm on holiday in Greece at the moment and went a bit mental on the ouzo waiting for the fixtures to come out, hopefully I changed the flights and booked hotels ok but I'm not too sure. I could be stuck in some village north of Munich for the first game, and needing to hire a horse.

I found a load of places on the usual booking sites were a fair bit cheaper when going direct. Managed to get a Motel One in Munich for the Thursday and Friday a lot cheaper than I was being quoted just after the draw.  Land in Berlin Thursday afternoon so just going to jump on the train straight to Munich instead of waiting until the Friday and losing part of the day of the game.

Stuttgart the night of the Hungary game seems fairly reasonable too for hotels outside the city centre. Seems easy enough to get to the centre on the S-Bahn from a load of them too.

3 hours ago, BirdieMinusOne said:

Dusseldorf base camp actually looking like a decent result for me

Based there too, but Munich looks a bugger to get to for first game. Direct trains at decent times on day of game to get there (5hrs roughly) but getting back to Dusseldorf requires essentially an overnight job. 

29 minutes ago, BirdieMinusOne said:

Not sure how Dusseldorf is a better base than Stuttgart?

I had planned on staying north of Dortmund but that idea has been sacked.

Being in Munich for the opening game is a no-brainer (despite the cost), so staying there a couple of days and still considering where to go afterwards. Might go to somewhere like Mannheim to keep costs down after spunking the cash in Bavaria.

Had a look at the Deutsche Bahn ticket offer for the Euros and journeys have to be completed by 10am the day after the match, not much use if you're stopping over after a 9pm kick off. They haven't said how much they're discounting Interrail passes by yet, but I think I'll be going for that. Had a quick look at internal flights and they're horrendously expensive, from Berlin anyway.