Dundee United v Arbroath

1 minute ago, TheRoundO said:

Because we played two strikers out wide who provided no cover to the full backs. Very naive by our management. The difference between a defeat and a thrashing. 

We were in hospitality tonight and sitting right behind the Arbroath dugout. The abuse coming from the Campbells towards your team was unreal. Hard to fully make out what was being said but your right back at one point wasn't holding back and letting them know they were being overrun 

On 23/10/2023 at 15:11, clashcityrocker said:

United are in great form and will win the league - few people doubt that.

Arbroath are a much improved team since the start of the season and are also on a fine run of results.

Expect both teams to score and a big crowd - I'd settle for a point, but I'm greedy and want all 3 points.

Score prediction 2-2 ( but like I say, I want all 3 points) !

This proves that you know nothing about football. Laughable really. 

Dundeee Utds performance was good enough tonight to beat many SPL sides. Some of the football they played was sublime. At times even as an opposition supporter it was a joy to watch. Left at 5-0 but have been told the 6th is a screamer as well. Lovely to see Colin get some minutes tonight as well. 

8 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Because we played two strikers out wide who provided no cover to the full backs. Very naive by our management. The difference between a defeat and a thrashing. 

Easy to say that now but it’s what has worked recently for us. I actually admired Dick for making the sun so early. 

22 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Well that was fun. Think that's the best we've played this season. We've had a lot of big, comfortable wins but even in those games there have been periods when the opposition have steadied the ship, or looked dangerous, or at least held the ball for a period. This was just utterly dominant for the whole game and looking to score every time we had the ball, which was a lot.

Good performances from everyone  but I was particularly pleased with Watt and Middleton.  I think its fair to say that both were pretty underwhelming for the first couple of months of the season and were probably quite fortunate to keep their places every week. It's no great insight to say that Goodwin was trying to play them into form but I wasn't at all convinced that it would work. It has though. Both have been excellent since the Queens Park game and Middleton in particular looks like a man reborn. Absolutely unplayable today.

Middleton looks like a man that is currently really enjoying his football. Long may it continue.

A brilliant team performance from United, best I’ve seen at Tannadice in a long time.

A lot of good individual performances but Middleton and Docherty were tremendous.  The assist for Moult’s second goal was class from Glenn.  Also loved Tony Watt’s bit of skill for his goal.

Firstly, huge respect for whoever came up with Billy Ocean ‘Red Light Spells Danger’ on the pre-match stadium music playlist.  Thought that was really clever, and also a brilliant tune.

Thankfully, did not prove the case tonight though.  

As you’d perhaps infer from the score, I thought it clicked for us all over the park and Glenn Middleton, in particular, looked unplayable (albeit Arbroath seemed to give him a lot of starting space, which really didn’t work from their point of view)

Lots to admire from United’s point of view - Docherty’s control of the game, some of Kai’s first touches, everybody just being bang at it.

Very enjoyable night as a United fan and nice to mark the occasion with such a fine performance.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Absolutely not.  Against us certainly, this is easily the best championship side I've seen.  

Means the other one who beat Rangers and Hibs to the title - can’t really argue that they’re better and must’ve been some side.

Since we’ve been in the division I think it’s potentially the best team there’s been, if they have no injuries I can’t see anyone stopping them - league could be won by March.

I think the best signings for United have been Grimshaw, Gallagher (way too good for this league), Holt and Docherty.

The back 4 and Docherty give a solid base so the likes of Watt, Middleton and Sibbald can play with freedom and express themselves, they 3 players at one point in their careers looked like they were destined for big things and it never really worked out for them but they’re definitely enjoying playing in this team and it’s getting the best out of them. They’re too good for this level. 

Fotheringham has bags of potential and pace to burn. 

Moult is some player and a great finisher - the injuries have obviously put him back to this level but you can see why he was one of the best non OF strikers in the Prem when he played for Motherwell. 

I think Uniteds season could depend on him staying fit - if he stays fit they cruise it. If not it could have an effect on all the rest of them. 

8 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Easy to say that now but it’s what has worked recently for us. I actually admired Dick for making the sun so early. 

Easy to say because he also did it in the first match against United and got the same result. 

Edited by TheRoundO

After watching the goals back I actually think the difference between a defeat and a thrashing is Gaston doing better with the 2nd or 3rd and ToB not diving in on one of the 2nd, 4th or 6th. We got the run around last night but we made some poor mistakes defensively, especially that 3rd goal that is so unlike Gaston - but again it was absolutely soaking last night so let him and the team off. Nightmare trying to defend against that United team when the park is so fast and zippy and they’re moving it at speed and getting dangerous balls in to the box from both sides. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Means the other one who beat Rangers and Hibs to the title - can’t really argue that they’re better and must’ve been some side.

Since we’ve been in the division I think it’s potentially the best team there’s been, if they have no injuries I can’t see anyone stopping them - league could be won by March.

I think the best signings for United have been Grimshaw, Gallagher (way too good for this league), Holt and Docherty.

The back 4 and Docherty give a solid base so the likes of Watt, Middleton and Sibbald can play with freedom and express themselves, they 3 players at one point in their careers looked like they were destined for big things and it never really worked out for them but they’re definitely enjoying playing in this team and it’s getting the best out of them. They’re too good for this level. 

Fotheringham has bags of potential and pace to burn. 

Moult is some player and a great finisher - the injuries have obviously put him back to this level but you can see why he was one of the best non OF strikers in the Prem when he played for Motherwell. 

I think Uniteds season could depend on him staying fit - if he stays fit they cruise it. If not it could have an effect on all the rest of them. 

A number of P&B Arabs, myself included, have argued that we need another genuine number 9 as an option in case Moult is out long term.  Whilst that would be good to have I’m beginning to think it’s not as critical for two reasons.

Firstly we have a number of other players able to score.  We have another four players who have all scored at least three so far, and in total 22 goals from 10 games from players other than Moult.

Of equal importance, we’ve only conceded four goals in ten games.  If we can continue to keep our defence as tight then we don’t need to score huge numbers in a game to get all three points.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

First game we played 4-4-2. McIntosh and Bird were upfront as a 2. 

Last night Bird played upfront himself. 

Last night we played with Bird, Hylton and Thuran- 3 strikers. First match we started with Bird, Hylton and McIntosh - 3 strikers. Never mind the formation. Lack of defensive cover. 

8 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

1 very slight criticism of Goodwin last night is that I'd rather have seen what Denham and Moore could do instead of the usual subs of Graham and Tilson 

Aye, I would be inclined to agree with that, giving both game time would have been useful. Still, as you say, a very slight criticism in the greater scheme of things

18 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

1 very slight criticism of Goodwin last night is that I'd rather have seen what Denham and Moore could do instead of the usual subs of Graham and Tilson 

Not for me. That's just playing guys for the sake of it. Denham is behind Graham for a reason and isn't our player. He'll surely be gone in January. Graham is first back up to Gallacher and Holt and needs to play to ensure he's ready to step in when required. Likewise Tilson, who we'll need when Docherty and Sibbald aren't available.  We're absolutely steamrollering teams just now because the team are totally focused on winning games and keeping clean sheets. There are already lots of young guys getting regular game time. If Moore deserves a place then he'll get it in due course.