Dundee United v Arbroath

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I take it you didn’t hang around to see Celtic’s 9th goal back in August last year?

As someone who did I can say with a degree of certainty that it's an appreciation of gallows humour rather than optimism that keeps you in the stadium at that point...

11 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I know they're generally pretty strange but why the fuk are there BNBs posting on here? 🤔

Just obsessed, I remember last season there was a utd match thread they were posting in constantly throughout. They were playing a game at the same time, went and had a look and their match thread was a ghost town.

4 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I know they're generally pretty strange but why the fuk are there BNBs posting on here? 🤔

I can only answer for myself.  

Presumably because United are in the Championship the  BBC only have a very brief report about the match.   I came in here to in here to try to get an indication how ex Dundee player Holt played.  I was disappointed when we didn’t offer him a new contract as I thought he was decent enough.  

I hope the above answers your question and meets with your approval.  It also begs the question - why are you apparently so bothered why anyone views this thread?

8 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I can only answer for myself.  

Presumably because United are in the Championship the  BBC only have a very brief report about the match.   I came in here to in here to try to get an indication how ex Dundee player Holt played.  I was disappointed when we didn’t offer him a new contract as I thought he was decent enough.  

I hope the above answers your question and meets with your approval.  It also begs the question - why are you apparently so bothered why anyone views this thread?

Whatever 

Edited by Big Shedboy
Can't be arsed

23 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I take it you didn’t hang around to see Celtic’s 9th goal back in August last year?

I did this but I was going to leave anyway purely to get back to the car before the traffic was busy - the goal made me leave because I couldn’t be arsed hanging about waiting on game to kick off again etc 

I really felt for us - we were very poor at the start of the game, never settled and then the game was away from us before we knew it. Our young right back was getting a bit of a doing and it felt like 2-0 in the blink of an eye.

3rd before half time completely killed it as a contest and it was a horrible mistake from Gaston by the look of it who is normally so good and actually had a good game despite it being 6. 

Our young right back got subbed for someone who hadn’t played in 7 months. Don’t think it was even particularly his fault. 

Scott McMann and Liam Grimshaw effectively play on the wing and double up on our full backs. If our wingers go back to mark them then United have the ball and just walk up the park easily with it. We had no answer to it. 

Docherty dropping in to play with Gallagher, Holt and the goalie if we  press too high. Middleton and Fotheringham continuously come inside to allow the big switch to the full backs. There was a period of play where United played 3 passes, we all shuffled over, then switched it, we shuffled over they do the same thing and switch it again. 

We did a power of running but were still never near it. I can have no complaints with the work rate and effort tonight we just didn’t start well and game was basically beyond us after 20 minutes.

United had their tails up and enjoyed themselves. 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I did this but I was going to leave anyway purely to get back to the car before the traffic was busy - the goal made me leave because I couldn’t be arsed hanging about waiting on game to kick off again etc 

I really felt for us - we were very poor at the start of the game, never settled and then the game was away from us before we knew it. Our young right back was getting a bit of a doing and it felt like 2-0 in the blink of an eye.

3rd before half time completely killed it as a contest and it was a horrible mistake from Gaston by the look of it who is normally so good and actually had a good game despite it being 6. 

Our young right back got subbed for someone who hadn’t played in 7 months. Don’t think it was even particularly his fault. 

Scott McMann and Liam Grimshaw effectively play on the wing and double up on our full backs. If our wingers go back to mark them then United have the ball and just walk up the park easily with it. We had no answer to it. 

Docherty dropping in to play with Gallagher, Holt and the goalie if we  press too high. Middleton and Fotheringham continuously come inside to allow the big switch to the full backs. There was a period of play where United played 3 passes, we all shuffled over, then switched it, we shuffled over they do the same thing and switch it again. 

We did a power of running but were still never near it. I can have no complaints with the work rate and effort tonight we just didn’t start well and game was basically beyond us after 20 minutes.

United had their tails up and enjoyed themselves. 

The doubling up on the wings is a great observation. Our early goals and chances came from that 

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We do not.  My take is that we're playing 2 players in wide positions who are basically strikers.  So Turan is a striker nominally playing wide, and Hylton can play wide, but he's also an all out attacker.  Normally we'd play one of them and have Dow on the other side to balance it out, but since he's not playing for whatever reason, I don't think we have much natural width, and our full backs were just being overwhelmed and didn't have any cover.  Dundee United were clearly targeting them, and were absolutely skinning them.

We've taken Steele (right back) off after 28 minutes, and I can see why.

Steele was getting a right roasting. I was surprised it took so long.

Well that was fun. Think that's the best we've played this season. We've had a lot of big, comfortable wins but even in those games there have been periods when the opposition have steadied the ship, or looked dangerous, or at least held the ball for a period. This was just utterly dominant for the whole game and looking to score every time we had the ball, which was a lot.

Good performances from everyone  but I was particularly pleased with Watt and Middleton.  I think its fair to say that both were pretty underwhelming for the first couple of months of the season and were probably quite fortunate to keep their places every week. It's no great insight to say that Goodwin was trying to play them into form but I wasn't at all convinced that it would work. It has though. Both have been excellent since the Queens Park game and Middleton in particular looks like a man reborn. Absolutely unplayable today.

57 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I didn’t because I was on holiday in Tenerife. However I went to an Irish bar to watch the game with my Celtic daft mate, and yes I stayed right to the end with tons of Celtic fans around me. Really don’t know what you’re trying to say.

15 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

I think everyone agrees United should and will win the league but Lichtie fans waxing like they’re prime Man City is deflection central.

Embarrassing score line over the two games you’ve played.

I’m not deflecting - I’m calling it as I see it - why would I or anyone else have any reason to deflect?

If you think Arbroath fans are hesitant on slagging off our own team or saying how shite we were / are or have been then read our thread between the months of August 2022 and May 2023.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Well that was fun. Think that's the best we've played this season. We've had a lot of big, comfortable wins but even in those games there have been periods when the opposition have steadied the ship, or looked dangerous, or at least held the ball for a period. This was just utterly dominant for the whole game and looking to score every time we had the ball, which was a lot.

Good performances from everyone  but I was particularly pleased with Watt and Middleton.  I think it’s fair to say that both were pretty underwhelming for the first couple of months of the season and were probably quite fortunate to keep their places every week. It's no great insight to say that Goodwin was trying to play them into form but I wasn't at all convinced that it would work. It has though. Both have been excellent since the Queens Park game and Middleton in particular looks like a man reborn. Absolutely unplayable today.

For the fifth there is genuinely nothing our right back could have done to stop Middleton get down the wing and the ball into the box was a joke. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

29 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

The doubling up on the wings is a great observation. Our early goals and chances came from that 

Because we played two strikers out wide who provided no cover to the full backs. Very naive by our management. The difference between a defeat and a thrashing.