Who remembers having Subbuteo?

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I had FIFA 98.

Like any cool cat of course. 

My favourite memory was taking the Netherlands Antilles to World Cup glory on World class mode.

Quite why no game has since put in every single international team I don't know. Limitless fun qualifying. 

20 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

My favourite memory was taking the Netherlands Antilles to World Cup glory on World class mode.

Quite why no game has since put in every single international team I don't know. Limitless fun qualifying

I'm sure the World Cup 2006 game did as well.

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Quite why no game has since put in every single international team I don't know. Limitless fun qualifying. 

Vanuatu for me. We were the World Cup's Greece 2004 - rearguard actions and 1-0 wins all over the shop. Brazil must have been livid. I remember the way Motson (I think) pronounced Vanuatu sounded so downbeat, like he was thinking, "Jesus, why am I watching this shite".

Realistic football computer games likely killed Subbuteo - indeed, computer games in general will have caused the decline in popularity of all board games. Very impressed with anyone who has the patience & talent to do a good job of miniature painting, as it's not something I could ever do.

23 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

Great game. Used to love playing Subbuteo under those fantastic floodlights. And if you put the stand from your Scalextric at the half way touchline you had an instant Shire's park.

And if you got your Scalextric track going round the outside of the pitch and a few jakeballs hanging around, you had Central Park, Cowdenbeath.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Yup, me too.

bl1.jpg.add20eb359ec9d2353f44939bdd4404d.jpg

Painted my teams as Poland and Holland. Dumbarton strips were just too complicated for my lack of artistic talent.

I went for Dundee and Hibs - should've gone for Liverpool and Leeds. I remember my old man got pretty pissed off that I'd f****d up the painting.  

Far too young for Subbuteo but the way people older had spoke about it I had way higher expectations from what it actually was. 

Closest we had was the figures you'd get alongside some advent calendar tasting chocolate. Used to be perfect stocking fillers or if it was a mates birthday. 

50 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Far too young for Subbuteo but the way people older had spoke about it I had way higher expectations from what it actually was. 

Closest we had was the figures you'd get alongside some advent calendar tasting chocolate. Used to be perfect stocking fillers or if it was a mates birthday. 

^Football crazy, chocolate mad, grab a power pod and play football with the lads thread for this pish imo 

There was a tv programme in the 80s based around subbuteo called Playing for Real, I think,  can't remember what it was about other than the main team was Real Falkirk. 80s tv was shite, basically a forerunner for BBC Scotland channel 

Those subbuteo figures on the other hand are great 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

The tee shirt I wear for Scotland matches.  Takes me back to when I was a wee nipper. 

Loved the game, had the floodlights, camera stand and the player for taking corners. 

Young Lochee Fleet won the world cup once. 

Unfortunately matches were frequently abandoned until glue or blu-tack could be found to mend a broken leg or replace a missing head.

And before some smart@rse points it out.  Yes I know it needs a good ironing, I took it out the clean laundry basket for this pic! 

20231024_231351.jpg

5 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

There was a tv programme in the 80s based around subbuteo called Playing for Real, I think,  can't remember what it was about other than the main team was Real Falkirk. 80s tv was shite, basically a forerunner for BBC Scotland channel 

Those subbuteo figures on the other hand are great 

I remember that - don't think it ever got repeated or released on any video formats.

I like how the IMDb have very obvious used a picture from a different show  :lol:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397004/

Looks like it's on YouTube, if anyone's interested: https://friendsofoldsubbuteo.uk/extra-time/playing-for-real/

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I remember that - don't think it ever got repeated or released on any video formats.

I like how the IMDb have very obvious used a picture from a different show  :lol:

Looks like it's on YouTube, if anyone's interested: https://friendsofoldsubbuteo.uk/extra-time/playing-for-real/

Was a big fan of that show too. Am I right in saying there was controversy about using Mr Sheen to make the players slide quicker/easier? Absolutely loved Subbuteo.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

I remember mentioning that programme before, on a Falkirk thread, but nobody seemed aware of it.   A click on the link suggests it was just as bad a show as I recalled.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Super Striker for Christmas 1976.

Subbuteo Floodlight Edition for Christmas 1977.

Yeah I remember Super Striker - magic!

I think the difference was that diving goalies were in the “super” edition which passed Alan Rough by obviously! 😂 

IMG_4469.jpeg.3d04ca59216bc947f304ba487f144cf9.jpegIMG_4468.jpeg.f29837085dea3857c88ec16072bcbedd.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yeah I remember Super Striker - magic!

I think the difference was that diving goalies were in the “super” edition which passed Alan Rough by obviously! 😂 

IMG_4469.jpeg.3d04ca59216bc947f304ba487f144cf9.jpegIMG_4468.jpeg.f29837085dea3857c88ec16072bcbedd.jpeg

Yip, that was the difference.

Mine had a moulded surrounding wall as well, whereas I think earlier ones had a wall you clipped on.

Subbuteo's appeal had a lot to do with accessories.  I had throw in takers, corner takers, tv cameras, photographers, a surrounding fence with advertising boards and eventually an astropitch.  I also had "World Cup goals" which were rubbish - one red net; one blue.

My collection of teams had no logic attached: Peru, Leeds, Brazil, Man City, Celtic, Wales, Juventus, Dundee United, Patrick Thistle, Dundee, Inter Milan, England, Hibs...

For some reason I never had Queens or Scotland.  

The game earned me my Hobbies Badge at Cubs.

Edited by Monkey Tennis