Who remembers having Subbuteo?

Some rich footballers made do with this set up.

IMG_4510.jpeg.dc48bdbcc89171f6e6f7b7b1aafb4222.jpeg

Frank McLintock

IMG_4508.jpeg.4dbbcd2e87d572b9f5afdc647ab6cf8a.jpeg

Martin Buchan & Mick Channon

while other Subbuteo geeks spent loads on accessories:

IMG_4509.jpeg.dcbfaa379c92407bd8aa2306965b3d47.jpeg

To build super stadiums:

IMG_4511.jpeg.758bdd05fe84a0739ca004e09d9553ae.jpeg

“It's World Cup fever as the teams line up - every bit as much as it will be for tonight's England-West Germany clash. And if the 6,750 individual spectators plus 200 police, ambulance, camera crew, photographers, ball boys and VIPs of Carl Pownall's amazing miniature stadium are slightly overshadowed by the statistics of Turin's Stadio Nuovo Communale, it still leads in other ways. For Italy were newly-crowned World Cup champions when 35-year-old Mr Pownall, of Newsome, started to build his masterpiece - over eight years and two world cup competitions ago. And, although it still is not complete, the 5ft by 4ft chipboard stadium is probably worth £4,000, he says. Each Subbuteo figure has been hand painted with two coats of paint by Mr Pownall, who is a piece warehouseman at Crowthers Cloth, Milnsbridge. The next stage is to build VIP boxes under the stadium's roof and floodlights. "I have always been interested in football - I'm just a big kid really." said Mr Pownall, who plays all the major soccer competitions on his hand built ground. “ June 1990.

I had to value a bunch of Subbuteo sets and teams for work a few years back - I remember this site being invaluable for working out which team was which, as a lot of them just had the catalogue number on, or no markings at all.

I'd forgotten how, when I was buying the odd team in the late Eighties, you'd get to find out that a Scottish club wore the same colours as a French side, a German team's away kit, and the champions of Peru, at a time when this info was not readily at hand. Not sure if anyone now could quite grasp how exciting and exotic that was to a young football geek at the time  :P

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I had to value a bunch of Subbuteo sets and teams for work a few years back - I remember this site being invaluable for working out which team was which, as a lot of them just had the catalogue number on, or no markings at all.

I'd forgotten how, when I was buying the odd team in the late Eighties, you'd get to find out that a Scottish club wore the same colours as a French side, a German team's away kit, and the champions of Peru, at a time when this info was not readily at hand. Not sure if anyone now could quite grasp how exciting and exotic that was to a young football geek at the time  :P

Never mind the late 80s - in the 70s I found out about teams like Juventus, Santos and Grimsby Town wearing the famous black and white stripes that originated in Paisley in 1884 !

I had my own set of "modern" (c1990) teams, and was also given my uncle's teams which he had held onto from about 1970. His had the players with the wee bar under them, while mine had the circular base. 1990 Scotland regularly dished out absolute pumpings to 1970 Brazil.

I also remember having a book called "You Can Be Spurs", which was about two brothers who played Subbuteo, and both always wanted to be Spurs. The older brother becomes a bit of a dick, but eventually turns back into a good guy, buying his wee brother a Barcelona set, with the weekly game resuming.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Jesus, what a site - fantastic stuff.

Queens listed as wearing white socks even though we didn't.  A ball boy set I'd forgotten all about possessing. 

Henceforth, I intend to spend much of my life pissing about on that website. 

On the back of watching "Playing for Real" I got a subbutteo set for Christmas that year. The two starter teams it came with looked like Forfar and Brechin to me 

I bought a set of Hibees, painted two ginger (Gordon Strachan and Gordon Hunter). One of the Hibees is now missing his head so that could be anyone 

Played it once and it's sat on the wardrobe for the last 30 years. The footballs must have been next to the heater at one point as they're now rugby balls.

My mate had the works- scoreboard, lights, stand. Maybe when we're geriatrics we'll get a league together 

Spoiler

In "Playing for Real" our heroine is put off in one match by an old git taking his false teeth out. So she takes off her Falkirk top and plays in a low cut top which puts her opponent off. Couldn't do a scene like that now but it had an impression on the teenage TTB 

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That was the kit worn by Dundee in the first real match I ever attended as well - a 2-2 draw at Palmerston.  A bit later, Dundee also wore it at Palmerston while losing a League Cup tie 6-0.

League Cup tie was 26 Oct 1977 and Gordon Strachan’s last away game for Dundee.

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

Some rich footballers made do with this set up.

IMG_4510.jpeg.dc48bdbcc89171f6e6f7b7b1aafb4222.jpeg

Frank McLintock

while other Subbuteo geeks spent loads on accessories:

IMG_4509.jpeg.dcbfaa379c92407bd8aa2306965b3d47.jpeg

To build super stadiums:

IMG_4511.jpeg.758bdd05fe84a0739ca004e09d9553ae.jpeg

“It's World Cup fever as the teams line up - every bit as much as it will be for tonight's England-West Germany clash. And if the 6,750 individual spectators plus 200 police, ambulance, camera crew, photographers, ball boys and VIPs of Carl Pownall's amazing miniature stadium are slightly overshadowed by the statistics of Turin's Stadio Nuovo Communale, it still leads in other ways. For Italy were newly-crowned World Cup champions when 35-year-old Mr Pownall, of Newsome, started to build his masterpiece - over eight years and two world cup competitions ago. And, although it still is not complete, the 5ft by 4ft chipboard stadium is probably worth £4,000, he says. Each Subbuteo figure has been hand painted with two coats of paint by Mr Pownall, who is a piece warehouseman at Crowthers Cloth, Milnsbridge. The next stage is to build VIP boxes under the stadium's roof and floodlights. "I have always been interested in football - I'm just a big kid really." said Mr Pownall, who plays all the major soccer competitions on his hand built ground. “ June 1990.

Being picky but it looks off with the 'long' stands being behind the goals rather than the 'short' ones - I've never seen a stadium like that. maybe it's a bit of a Father Ted scenario but the pitch looks too square.

18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Being picky but it looks off with the 'long' stands being behind the goals rather than the 'short' ones - I've never seen a stadium like that. maybe it's a bit of a Father Ted scenario but the pitch looks too square.

Yeah totally agree. He does look like his hard drive needs checking for that type of behaviour! 😂 

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've just noticed that one of the kids playing the game on the 'Striker' box is wearing a tie.

Absolutely magnificent.

13 hours ago, Molotov said:

A habit he carried into later life. 

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

That website is a real treasure trove, and it seems that the wire goals set that I customised were pretty much the original design.  Like a lot of things I had back in the day - hair, 32-inch waist, rampant libido - I wish I still had them.

Thank you @BFTD

On 26/10/2023 at 07:53, BFTD said:

Please don't tell me how much Subbuteo stuff is worth today. I had a decent collection, nothing fancy like stands or floodlights, but quite a few teams and accessories. Sold it all 15 years ago. Was happy with what I got back then but you just know if you'd held onto it for a while longer it would be worth more.

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Subbuteo was brilliant !

It seemed to me that it was more about the 'stuff' than the game itself.  I found it, as a game, pretty average but that was because I was shite at it I suppose.  It also seemed like a lot of effort to set everything up if you didn't have the space to keep it up (OK - Kenneth, you're up!).

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Please don't tell me how much Subbuteo stuff is worth today. I had a decent collection, nothing fancy like stands or floodlights, but quite a few teams and accessories. Sold it all 15 years ago. Was happy with what I got back then but you just know if you'd held onto it for a while longer it would be worth more.

You're fine mate, it's all worthless  🤥

Similarly, I sold most of my music/game collections years ago, but I was happy with what I got too so I'm not going to moan about it now. I was getting £30 for albums I'd bought for 99p in the Nineties, so it'd be a bit of a cheek anyway!

Sadly, I think the subbuteo would've ended up at a charity shop at some point  😑