St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager 23/24

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could have been better, could have been worse. If it works, it will be seen as a bit of a master stroke from Saints. If it doesn't we are no worse off and he goes back to the media stuff.

I was a but pessimistic when I first heard it was to be him, but actually makes a fair bit sense. Club isn't going to splurge on players in Jan, so any manager needs to be able to work with what we have and at best bring in some frees in January. While he hasn't managed for a while, he has been in and around the teams for the last few years, so not coming in cold. Maybe a break away from the actual management and maybe more crucially, it not being a team that he is as emotionally invested in as Hearts, will be good for him. 

I think some of the younger players will get a lot of guidance from him and some of the more experienced ones will be crucial to his influence. 

Think that's a decent appointment.

I get that Levein was a disaster as Scotland manager but he's a very good club coach. He's also a pleasant and friendly guy, having met him once or twice. He's a skilled wind up merchant which must be why so many mouth breathers hate him.

Andy Kirk's done a good job at Brechin City and it will be interesting to see them working in a more formal manner at St. Johnstone- Levein being an unpaid director of football at Glebe Park but the actual boss here is a changed dynamic. Kirk turned Brechin around from an unwatchable shambles to being a really good attacking side, with some good players. Levein was absolutely behind Max Kucheriavyi coming to Brechin and he's a gem of a wee player.

Will be dour and functional football for a while at McDiarmid but I am sure these two will steer the Saints clear of bother for the rest of this campaign. Sensible appointment IMO.

18 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

There goes wee Max’s career. Levein teams’ average height for central players is about 6’3”. 

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Leveins played a big part in his career and seems to love him.

17 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Levein described Max recently as one of the biggest prospects in Scottish football. He absolutely loves him and believe he was involved in getting him a move to Saints originally. 

He was definitely involved in his loan move to Brechin.

I thought Max was brilliant at Falkirk last season, really stood out though you'd expect that at that level. 

It's all well and good Levein talking him up in the past but he wasn't the manager needing results back then. 

30 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I thought Max was brilliant at Falkirk last season, really stood out though you'd expect that at that level. 

It's all well and good Levein talking him up in the past but he wasn't the manager needing results back then. 

Max had played away to St. Mirren recently and did alright and he's been consistently a 6-10 performer this season never brilliant but not shite either. He battles away and wins possession quite often in midfield for a wee guy. Can't quite workout where he should be playing longer term though... Wide? Central? 🤷‍♂️

His issue has been going forward. Not creating much and seems to want that extra second on the ball all the time which results in him losing it now and again. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Funny how polarising Avril is amongst diddy club fans.

Either a good solid appointment, or this is going to be hilarious.. though I feel a lot of the latter is from the St Johnstone hating brigade on here.

It’s a great move for Levein though. He’s never won a major honour, and in fairness to him he’s never been at a club who are likely to do so these days.  What an opportunity to put that right in the swansong of his career.

41 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Funny how polarising Avril is amongst diddy club fans.

Either a good solid appointment, or this is going to be hilarious.. though I feel a lot of the latter is from the St Johnstone hating brigade on here.

It’s a great move for Levein though. He’s never won a major honour, and in fairness to him he’s never been at a club who are likely to do so these days.  What an opportunity to put that right in the swansong of his career.

This would be poetry. We have cup pedigree too, unlike most of the diddy clubs. Make it happen, Levein.

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Levein used to love a fucking punt into the opposition corner to give them a throw in from kick off.

Wonder if he'll make that tactic fashionable again.

13 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We do that already.

I see this happening umpteen times a week.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I see this happening umpteen times a week.

Yes seems to have been the tactics from kick off for about 35 years TBH. first time I remember it being used was Alex Totten era, Ball played to Paul Cherry long punt towards the opponents  corner towards Roddy Grant and hopefully a sclaff of defenders head for either a throw in or corner.

repeat every game for next 35 years.