Dundee FC vs The Pride of Renfrewshire, AKA St. Mirren - Armistice Day, 2023

Dundee played well today and showed good game management when we were trying to chase the game. They'll be absolutely fine this season, Tony Docherty seems a decent manager.

Saints on the other hand were way off it today and looked sluggish. Hopefully the virus that's worked its way through the squad is to blame for that, as it's worrying otherwise. The international break is coming at a good time for us - gives us time to get players back and maybe tweak the system slightly.

7 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Got a lot of respect for your team and manager and their start to the season. Hard to dislike it. 

Absolutely love our Manager, no excuses just took it on the chin that we weren’t good enough today and we need to get back on the training ground and put in the work.

Seems strange to say, but I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. Dundee were excellent and better in every area of the pitch. It's a sore one as we got a doing, but I think all the credit has to go to Dundee. I've seen us get pumped plenty of times, where you could see how bad we were but yesterday we were rolled over by a better side on the day.

Hats off to Docherty for managing to make a team with Zak Rudden up front clinical.

In all seriousness I think Robinson reacted in the right way to this. Never too high and never too low. You can try and use the illness excuse all you want but in simple terms it was just one of those games for St Mirren. I see a lot of similar qualities between the two teams and they’re based on hard work first and foremost. Dundee bounced back from an absolute doing from Rangers and St Mirren will absolutely do the same thing. Both clubs will be fighting for the same position at the end of the season in my opinion. 

As for us we were excellent from start to finish. I haven’t really been able to fault us so far (probably the first St Mirren game to be fair) and we just continue to get better and better. Docherty has done a great job in signing some real quality players for this level combined with the talent we had before. One of those games where you couldn’t pick a stand out as they were all excellent. 

6 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Seems strange to say, but I didn't think we were that bad yesterday. Dundee were excellent and better in every area of the pitch. It's a sore one as we got a doing, but I think all the credit has to go to Dundee. I've seen us get pumped plenty of times, where you could see how bad we were but yesterday we were rolled over by a better side on the day.

Hats off to Docherty for managing to make a team with Zak Rudden up front clinical.

Well said h_b. FWIW I didn't think St Mirren were quite as bad as some are making out, certainly in the first half anyway. What I do like about them is the way that they're not slow at getting crosses into the box. Fortunately for us our back 3 dealt with them reasonably comfortably but there were some pretty decent balls delivered into the danger area. It's a tactic I like and one I'd like to see us deploy more frequently

I said before the game that Dundee were a competent team.

The confidence that they've gained through recent strong performances was very much in evidence yesterday.

Simply put, we got our arses handed to us on a plate.

Too many under par performances from us.

Let's hope it's a one off and that people don't forget how well the team has performed up until yesterday.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:04, Ric said:

So just ditch it and replace it with people in the Sportscene studio reviewing the video pointing out the error 5 hours later? That's what happened before. I see no reason for the referee not to be shown that replay at the very time when they can influence the play if that replay is available. At least you know that the referee has had the ability to look at it again and it rules out the "honest mistake" excuse that used to be trotted out when the ref refused to give a blatant penalty against the OF.

Is it VARs fault that the law states any contact with the hand from the goal scorer rules out the goal? It is FIFA that decides that shit, yet VAR is blamed because it has video showing the hand being hit.

No, I find the whole "ditch it, we were better off before" attitude akin to people smashing spinning Jennys. The technology isn't going away, and in fact it's only going to get better. It is infinitely better at being able to identify offside or fouls than referees as has been shown.

No, the weak link in the chain is not the tech, it's the officials, their ability to understand and interpret the rules and those who are making the rules and not understanding how VAR will reflect those changes.

Yup, second-last line… the weak link is officialdom. Clearly. Funny, never knew ‘weak link’ was spelled ‘Multiple penalties to the Rangers’.

Ditch VAR in Scotland and we ditch a second layer of cuntery. Get it to fcuk… in this tinpot banana republic ‘honest mistake ridden’ top flight league.