What was Michael Matheson actually doing ?

superbigal

17 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Could the bill be requested under Freedom of Information?  That is an insane charge.  How long was he in Morocoo for?

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Mobile_roaming?content_aid=1214306361761

I agree it is insane but from your link that would be a little less than 2GB of data which would be easy to use up over a couple days.  

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

This is much better as helps me understand the figure we are talking about. I always struggle for example with the length or height of something unless it is reported how many football pitches or stacked elephants it is the equivalent to. Did a few of my own to really nail down the sheer scale of this amount:

- half the cost of a new Hyundai Bayon;

- equivalent of 22 return flights from Glasgow to Rome (Ciampino not Fiumicino!) - haven't included getting to and from airport in costs;

- 7860 tins of beans (Tesco. Heinz not Branston). 

I like to think of it as being equivalent to 0.000367% of Scotland's share of what the Tories corruptly spent on dodgy PPE through their COVID VIP lanes.

Michael Matheson: £11k iPad minister warned year ahead of costs risk - BBC News

Interesting...

A Scottish government minister who ran up an £11,000 data roaming bill on his iPad in Morocco had been warned almost a year earlier to update his device. It is understood Mr Matheson was told via email to swap out the sim card in the device in February 2022.

Mr Matheson was emailed by officials in February 2022, and it is thought highly likely he would have also been spoken to by IT staff when he had the sim card in his mobile phone changed later that year.

Intriguing...

The parliament has also said Mr Matheson did not notify its IT office that he was travelling to Africa - despite the fact members are told each recess that they should inform officials if they are taking devices abroad.

Curious...

An investigation was held by senior IT staff, which studied the billing history and found that a very large volume of data had been used. However it is understood they stopped short of checking the browsing history on the device. Mr Matheson assured officials that he had been using the iPad for parliament and constituency business, and on that basis it was decided the cost would be covered by the parliament.

The story of Michael Matheson's roaming bill has caught the imagination, with everyone trying to work out exactly how such a huge bill could have been accrued. However unless the health secretary decides to volunteer the information - he has offered only that it was used legitimately for official business - we may never know.

It's understood a huge volume of data was used, but officials didn't go to the extent of examining the browsing history on the device.

Checking the receipts is one thing, but to actually carry out some kind of forensic audit of the iPad would have suggested that the parliament wasn't happy with Mr Matheson's explanation. They do have to take it on trust that members are being straight with them.

5x34fb.jpg

While trying to access the website of local takeaway “Pork Hub” to order dinner, I accidentally typed the wrong address. This happened every day of the holiday, and on each occasion it required watching several videos to find a way out. 

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

I like to think of it as being equivalent to 0.000367% of Scotland's share of what the Tories corruptly spent on dodgy PPE through their COVID VIP lanes.

indeed. The outrage arising from this is laughable particularly given many of those seem quite content with the billions that the Tories waste, mis-direct and skim off. I guess roaming data charges is a bit more relatable than registering a company with Companies House in order to supply dodgy PPE at inflated prices.

In saying all that, Matheson should have been made to pay back the costs. A proportion of his salary per month over 1-2 years would have been reasonable. I can also see how his justifications would also get people's back's up. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Quick question.

Can you unsee it now?

Burned onto my retinas.

To be fair to Morocco Matheson, the IT person who advised him probably came in and said "you see m8 you need to unplug the RS3847 lead and reroute the multichip interface through your GPX3498 card, remember and use the a Cat6 that transmits 10 Gbps (NOT 20Gbps FFS) and daisy chain that through the LAN to the PABX via your UPS".

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Quick question.

Can you unsee it now?

Burned onto my retinas.

To be fair to Morocco Matheson, the IT person who advised him probably came in and said "you see m8 you need to unplug the RS3847 lead and reroute the multichip interface through your GPX3498 card, remember and use the a Cat6 that transmits 10 Gbps (NOT 20Gbps FFS) and daisy chain that through the LAN to the PABX via your UPS".