What was Michael Matheson actually doing ?

superbigal

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Burned onto my retinas.

To be fair to Morocco Matheson, the IT person who advised him probably came in and said "you see m8 you need to unplug the RS3847 lead and reroute the multichip interface through your GPX3498 card, remember and use the a Cat6 that transmits 10 Gbps (NOT 20Gbps FFS) and daisy chain that through the LAN to the PABX via your UPS".

That instruction could definitely snap his brain  before reaching even close to his ankles.

6 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

I like to think of it as being equivalent to 0.000367% of Scotland's share of what the Tories corruptly spent on dodgy PPE through their COVID VIP lanes.

I don't really want any of Scotland's share of what the Tories corruptly spent on dodgy PPE through their COVID VIP lanes being spent on Michael fucking Matheson's phone bill.

10 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I don't really want any of Scotland's share of what the Tories corruptly spent on dodgy PPE through their COVID VIP lanes being spent on Michael fucking Matheson's phone bill.

No, me neither, but I have a sense of perspective.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Michael Matheson: £11k iPad minister warned year ahead of costs risk - BBC News

Interesting...

A Scottish government minister who ran up an £11,000 data roaming bill on his iPad in Morocco had been warned almost a year earlier to update his device. It is understood Mr Matheson was told via email to swap out the sim card in the device in February 2022.

Mr Matheson was emailed by officials in February 2022, and it is thought highly likely he would have also been spoken to by IT staff when he had the sim card in his mobile phone changed later that year.

Intriguing...

The parliament has also said Mr Matheson did not notify its IT office that he was travelling to Africa - despite the fact members are told each recess that they should inform officials if they are taking devices abroad.

Curious...

In fairness, who can honestly claim that they haven't dinghied any work emails at all from the gimps at the IT department. Ditto gubbins mandatory development training (Shan online course) reminders - auto file in the bin should be default policy. 

Only right that he pays every single penny though. 

9 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'm a SNP voter and this thread is a bit of poking fun at a gormless politician.

The correct outcome he is paying the bill

Still surprised at how seriously some  defended him blindly on this thread. 

I don’t see anyone on this thread defending him, let alone defending him blindly. 

58 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'm a SNP voter and this thread is a bit of poking fun at a gormless politician.

Not sure about defending him but there was a decent bit of deflection. That's to be expected tbh with the reprobates inhabiting Westminter at the moment.

7 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Of course it's a drop in the ocean compared to the tories, but it's this sort of avoidable, clownshoes behaviour that has damaged the SNP so much over the last few years.

I couldn't agree more. 

I can't help but think that much more care would've been taken had it been his personal piece of apparatus.

it speaks of a lazy entitlement.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Health Secretary Michael Matheson agrees to pay back £11k iPad bill - BBC News

He's now decided to pay himself.

Who could possibly have foreseen this would be the eventual outcome eh?

Not he, his staff or party chiefs even yesterday seemingly.

Totally self-inflicted OG.

I look forward to your next appraisal of misadventure.

There's been quite a lot of it lately and would you say you are predisposed, for whatever reason, to remark upon this relative trivia rather than on the very much more substantive and scandalous behaviour that presents us with threats that are existential?

56 minutes ago, sophia said:

I couldn't agree more. 

I can't help but think that much more care would've been taken had it been his personal piece of apparatus.

it speaks of a lazy entitlement.

I look forward to your next appraisal of misadventure.

There's been quite a lot of it lately and would you say you are predisposed, for whatever reason, to remark upon this relative trivia rather than on the very much more substantive and scandalous behaviour that presents us with threats that are existential?

An £11000 data bill for a week's holiday that he tried to sting the tax payer for is not trivial for a Government Minister. Whether it was negligence or incompetence doesn't really matter, he tried to offload it onto us. Gauging our ministers by the standards of Lady Mone or Liz Truss does them a disservice. 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An £11000 data bill for a week's holiday that he tried to sting the tax payer for is not trivial for a Government Minister. Whether it was negligence or incompetence doesn't really matter, he tried to offload it onto us. Gauging our ministers by the standards of Lady Mone or Liz Truss does them a disservice. 

It is trivial when juxtaposed with the substantive stuff and I'd hope most would get this.

I offered neither negligence nor incompetence so perhaps you should reappraise.

That said, MM was inexplicably animated on the merits of the hokey cokey, so perhaps we should cut him some slack.

On 09/11/2023 at 18:10, HibeeJibee said:

Rest easy - First Minister says it's a "legitimate cost", no story here folks :whistle:

Minister's £11,000 iPad bill is legitimate expense - Humza Yousaf - BBC News

Half a year's salary for hundreds of thousands of people in Scotland... third of a year's for a nurse or teacher... racked up on a tablet in the course of a long weekend supposedly while keeping up with business amid a family getaway. Apparently is more than the entire parliament claimed for tech bills in whole of last year. Yet there barely seems a sense of contrition on this; let alone any conceding of personal responsibility, even if we do accept it was just the minister's blind ignorance and gross stupidity.

Don't worry though he's offered £3k from his office expenses tab... which the parliament also funds anyway :rolleyes:.

These people must think we all button up at the back :lol:.

It's more than my yearly pension...

ETA: Actually it's £224.72 less than my yearly pension.

Edited by Jacksgranda

58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's more than my yearly pension...

ETA: Actually it's £224.72 less than my yearly pension.

That's the thing that gets me apart from the entitlement that he showed in in thinking we should pay for his behaviour. Why is it even possible for a mobile phone company to allow anyone to rack up an £11000 bill in a week. Where are the affordability checks? If you go for credit anywhere else they will check you can afford to pay back the credit. Mobile phone companies seem to be able to bypass these checks and just let you incur massive debt. I know there are nominal limits on roaming bills, but they are so easy to opt out of they are almost meaningless in practice.

8 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

That's the thing that gets me apart from the entitlement that he showed in in thinking we should pay for his behaviour. Why is it even possible for a mobile phone company to allow anyone to rack up an £11000 bill in a week. Where are the affordability checks? If you go for credit anywhere else they will check you can afford to pay back the credit. Mobile phone companies seem to be able to bypass these checks and just let you incur massive debt. I know there are nominal limits on roaming bills, but they are so easy to opt out of they are almost meaningless in practice.

My Brother in law racked up a roaming charge of £3 or 4k on a business trip to the middle east.

He had just changed providers and fucked up when he read the contract.

His business so he had to pay it, obviously, but the mobile companies don't seem to give a shit.

On 10/11/2023 at 19:00, superbigal said:

I don't vote SNP but im pro-Indy and I very much enjoyed poking fun at him.