What was Michael Matheson actually doing ?

superbigal

It's never the initial screw up that gets these folk, it's the lies afterwards.

Also

"As a parent, I wanted to protect them from being part of the political and media scrutiny associated with this, something I believe any parent would want to do.

"I am a father first and foremost - that was a mistake and I am sorry.

"I can see now that it just isn't possible to explain the data usage without explaining their role.

He added: "The simple truth is they watched football matches."

Well, you could quite easily have said it was you watching the matches, and avoid throwing yer weans under the bus.

Clearly the hotspot story has been fabricated to head off any questions about how his kids have access to his parliamentary device.

Next question is why has he given them hotspot access to data that the taxpayer is paying for?

He's lying about the whole thing and whichever way you look at it even if you believe it was his kids and not him he's still at fault for giving them any kind of access to taxpayer funded devices/data.

Embarrassing. Imagine how his son is feeling right now, his dad happy to throw him under the bus to save his own job. 

Youssef looking really weak here too, just sack him and be done with it. Reminds me of Sturgeon and that doctor that was by her side at the covid briefings (calderwood ?).

Absolute Jackanory. Never heard so much fabricated pish than what was spouted in his statement. Wonder how long they took to fabricate that up. Surely a man of great integrity when he thrown his family under the bus to try and save his own skin. He would have had more respect if he had put his hands up to the fact he was watching football from day 1.

Will be interesting to see where Useless positions himself now since he has backed him to the hilt.  Clearly shows that they think the public are stupid and will believe any rubbish they come away with.  If he does not resign or get sacked then they have no integrity left (not that they care).

Wonder if they will make him Minister for Technology?

41 minutes ago, superbigal said:

why would the son not simply watch the football using WIFI.

Indeed.

34 minutes ago, Peil said:

could quite easily have said it was you watching the matches, and avoid throwing yer weans under the bus.

Indeed.

34 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

So if he is telling the truth
and he only used £26 worth of data that week
why was he happy for the parliament to pay an £11k bill that he did not use.

Indeed.

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

even if you believe it was his kids and not him he's still at fault for giving them any kind of access

Indeed.

Plus he knows family use his government device... he knows 6GB used on family holiday but adamant wasn't him... but never occurs to him it was his family... so bills it?

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

I like the idea that someone in the Matheson household had the know-how to use the iPad as a hotspot
but at the same time didn't think of connecting it to Wi-Fi.

Tbf all humanity watch OF derby - maybe Marrakesh Butlins router overloaded?

If isn't porkies to avoid openly saying his kids physically use it... I'm surprised government ministers devices can 'hotspot'.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf all humanity watch OF derby - maybe Marrakesh Butlins router overloaded?

If isn't porkies to avoid openly saying his kids physically use it... I'm surprised government ministers devices can 'hotspot'.

Pretty sure he said in his answer to DRoss that he contacted SP IT about the fact his phone wasn't complying when he tried to set that up as a hotspot, and they told him to use the ipad instead. I'd imagine that will be fairly easy to verify.

What a slimy excuse of a man. That statement with all the pauses for “emotional” impact are a load of bollocks. 

That iPad is business/parliamentary equipment.

It should never be used for anything other than that purpose.

Did this MSP initially try and claim this as a valid expense?

That is fraud. 

Get this p***k investigated by the police and sacked from his position immediately. 

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Pretty sure he said in his answer to DRoss that he contacted SP IT about the fact his phone wasn't complying when he tried to set that up as a hotspot, and they told him to use the ipad instead. I'd imagine that will be fairly easy to verify.

Fair - he also mentioned trying another SIM in it.

Given obvious sensitivity of members - and more so government ministers - when it comes to data, access or security I'm surprised it's allowed, never mind DIY remotely. I assumed their tech would be more tightly sewn-up.

26 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think contacting Scottish Power to complain about his phone was his mistake.

or was it 

image.png.e94939640b9d3e476663cd910e845f58.png

Edited by superbigal