Ross County's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Ross County's next permanent manager?  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats literally the only thing your post could be seen as doing.

You tried to downplay it as just some racist texts then tried to further downplay it by comparing it directly to drug dealers killing people.

We've been through stuff in the past thats suggested to me youre an absolutely dreadful person who'll defend literally anything based entirely on football tribalism, and this is another example im afraid.

He’s hardly hailing Mackay as a saint. I think you are twisting words there. Not in any way condoning the texts that were sent by Mackay, but they were sent in a private group and not intended to cause any harm, it was more an extremely poor attempt at humour. Dealing drugs harms whole communities and ruins lives. 

I’m a fan of Martindale and think it’s amazing how he has turned his life around and works with the community. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Could argue DM committed a more severe crime.

Yes, & he went to jail for it, he pled guilty & did his time. A whole massive part of our legal system is premised on the principal of rehabilitation, if you don't think Martindale can or even should be given the chance to rehabilitate then that's...well, bonkers but it's a view I guess. Without it the system simply doesn't work, what's someone just out of prison meant to do on release? Just go & do more crime to get by? Seems counterproductive. Are there a list of jobs that ex-cons shouldn't be allowed to do? 

The key thing is Martindale has very publicly owned up to his past shitty decisions & as far as I can see doesn't really minimise it. Whereas Malky Mackay has never been remotely that transparent. It matters. It's the difference between learning from a fuckup & improving yourself or just feeling embarrassed you got caught.

I've done & said dumb shit I'm not remotely proud of when I was younger, but you look back on it & you see where you've fucked up & you own up to it & try to be better. Publicly, & that's all I can judge Mackay on as I lack the ability of reading minds, he has not done that. It's not about jumping on someone when they f**k up, it's about how they react to the f**k up. (Obviously it'd be better if they didn't sell coke & launder cash for a gang or send bigoted texts or whatever else in the first place, but moot point)

7 hours ago, Staggie1984 said:

Not in any way condoning the texts that were sent by Mackay, but they were sent in a private group and not intended to cause any harm, it was more an extremely poor attempt at humour.  

County fans really not coming out of this well.

Im afraid to tell you that if youre a racist, antisemitic, sexist, homophobe in private, then youre a racist, antisemitic, sexist, homophobe.

Picking your audience doesnt change that.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

County fans really not coming out of this well.

Im afraid to tell you that if youre a racist, antisemitic, sexist, homophobe in private, then youre a racist, antisemitic, sexist, homophobe.

Picking your audience doesnt change that.

The first sentence above is the clue. No one is condoning it. But we are allowed to discuss it.

When you are capable of having a real conversation about racist issues come back and we can discuss it properly, because right now you just seem to be pointed people as racist by association under the guise of Ross County “tribalism” whatever the f**k that is.

6 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

The first sentence above is the clue. No one is condoning it. But we are allowed to discuss it.

When you are capable of having a real conversation about racist issues come back and we can discuss it properly, because right now you just seem to be pointed people as racist by association under the guise of Ross County “tribalism” whatever the f**k that is.

Youre saying below isnt downplaying what he said and saying its acceptable?

Also, stop continously trying to say it was just racism, it wasnt. He also sent homophobic, sexist, and antisemitic messages.

8 hours ago, Staggie1984 said:

it was more an extremely poor attempt at humour

8 hours ago, Staggie1984 said:

not intended to cause any harm, it was more an extremely poor attempt at humour.

Obviously this is not my opinion. 

But I do think that comparing the outrage over Mackays texts versus Martindales convicted crimes are valid discussion points. That’s not downplaying or scapegoating anyone, it’s just seems to me to be a complete disconnect with what is acceptable in the eyes of a football fan. 

7 hours ago, forkboy said:

Yes, & he went to jail for it, he pled guilty & did his time. A whole massive part of our legal system is premised on the principal of rehabilitation, if you don't think Martindale can or even should be given the chance to rehabilitate then that's...well, bonkers but it's a view I guess. Without it the system simply doesn't work, what's someone just out of prison meant to do on release? Just go & do more crime to get by? Seems counterproductive. Are there a list of jobs that ex-cons shouldn't be allowed to do? 

The key thing is Martindale has very publicly owned up to his past shitty decisions & as far as I can see doesn't really minimise it. Whereas Malky Mackay has never been remotely that transparent. It matters. It's the difference between learning from a fuckup & improving yourself or just feeling embarrassed you got caught.

I've done & said dumb shit I'm not remotely proud of when I was younger, but you look back on it & you see where you've fucked up & you own up to it & try to be better. Publicly, & that's all I can judge Mackay on as I lack the ability of reading minds, he has not done that. It's not about jumping on someone when they f**k up, it's about how they react to the f**k up. (Obviously it'd be better if they didn't sell coke & launder cash for a gang or send bigoted texts or whatever else in the first place, but moot point)

This for me is exactly it - I really wanted to stay a season ticket holder and could have been convinced.  People do make mistakes and can turn themselves around.  I hear the talk about private texts etc. but the opinions expressed made me incredibly uncomfortable and were made by a man in his 40s.  Still take ownership address it from both the manager and the club and I have been prepared to move beyond it.  I felt the failure to do that was the core issue for me.  Martindale clearly has as has say the cricketer Ollie Robinson with similar kinds of texts though for me slightly different given they were made when he was a teenager.  I've made mistakes in my life and had to own them, rather than brush past and ignore them.  Am willing to put up with a lot - I watched all the home games under McStay and Coyle for god sake - but somethings stretch that loyalty - still off to buy my half season ticket - I don't think Roy comes out of this clean but I am willing to come back  because I really like being part of that community.

3 minutes ago, roth08 said:

This for me is exactly it - I really wanted to stay a season ticket holder and could have been convinced.  People do make mistakes and can turn themselves around.  I hear the talk about private texts etc. but the opinions expressed made me incredibly uncomfortable and were made by a man in his 40s.  Still take ownership address it from both the manager and the club and I have been prepared to move beyond it.  I felt the failure to do that was the core issue for me.  Martindale clearly has as has say the cricketer Ollie Robinson with similar kinds of texts though for me slightly different given they were made when he was a teenager.  I've made mistakes in my life and had to own them, rather than brush past and ignore them.  Am willing to put up with a lot - I watched all the home games under McStay and Coyle for god sake - but somethings stretch that loyalty - still off to buy my half season ticket - I don't think Roy comes out of this clean but I am willing to come back  because I really like being part of that community.

Well quite. I'll admit to not knowing a whole lot about this situation but is the problem most have with MacKay not that he just kind of 'took a Course', then went on with his career? No public apologies, no contrition.

Anyway...all this bollox aside. Anyone actually any ideas/rumours about next man in?

8 hours ago, forkboy said:

A whole massive part of our legal system is premised on the principal of rehabilitation..

Well... it's meant to be. :rolleyes:

You are totally right, though, and I was about to make a post pointing out similar. How Martindale and MacKay have gone about things "after the act" is notable. Martindale has owned up, done his time and by all accounts is the sort of person in private that you see in public (ie: a down to Earth guy, willing to accept his mistakes). MacKay on the other hand has spent his entire time mitigating and deflecting, he just doesn't come across as an honest actor. It's just personal but I am sure that if MacKay was asked how he'd avoid doing the same as before he'd answer "just don't let people find out" rather than "I just wouldn't don't do it again".

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Inverness Courier has just been reading this thread. The chancing b*****ds.

The Inverness Courier is an absolute joke of a paper. Nothing more than clickbait drivel and churnalism. 

1 hour ago, roth08 said:

This, and the defining point was during the Dundee Utd game where there was the allegation of a racial shout/abuse coming from County away support and Tam Courts made that public stand.  All eyes where on Malky as a result of his past and instead of saying the obvious "we'll help with investigation and this type of behaviour doesn't belong here" he doubled down and took pot shots at Courts.  It was a bad look and woefully handled by all at the club and was confirmation for me at least that nothing changed.

13 minutes ago, RiG said:

The Inverness Courier is an absolute joke of a paper. Nothing more than clickbait drivel and churnalism. 

It's pretty much now just a newsletter for Fergus Ewing to air his grievances about his employers.

Their recent "ICT drawn at home to Rangers in Scottish Cup" clickbait headline did rile up a load of Rangers da's though.

2 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

But I do think that comparing the outrage over Mackays texts versus Martindales convicted crimes are valid discussion points.

Of course it is without context, but the clear difference is that Martindale has been very open and honest about his guilt, never tried to pass responsibility, tried to use his past to educate and help others. Mackay never actually apologised, has never shown any sort of remorse, and after an allegation of racist abuse at Tannadice he came straight out with "it never happened", when he'd have absolutely no idea if that was the case. It wasn't just jokes you'd find on Reddit either, it was abuse about people he worked with - and responsible for - that he specifically named. Just some harmless private texts though.

If, after taking that into account, you still can't see why one is applauded while the other shunned, you're beyond help.

Did find it a bit weird that there were a few new RC supporting accounts joining after Malky was appointed who seemed desperate to make that connection. Hopefully a sensible (but shite) appointment on the way so that the normal fans can get back to enjoying going to the football.