Is your manager the highest paid “football” person at your club?

31 minutes ago, AndyX said:

So everybody cares obsessively about who their club's manager should be...

But nobody cares what money is made available to hire them. Like there isn't an obvious link.

There's a difference between caring what he earns and knowing what he earns.

I would guess that Barry Robson might not be the top football earner at Aberdeen just because he is new to the management game. I would guess maybe Duk earns more than him.

I think if/when McInnes was at Aberdeen he would probably have been on the highest wage as I’m sure he signed at extension around about the time Rangers were sniffing around.

Does anyone think that it matters at all? Not obviously just linked to Aberdeen it might be the same set up at Hearts and/or many other clubs.

ETA - I suppose the thing that I’m not adding is that I do find that to be a bit of a weird dynamic. I’ve never been in a working situation where my boss has earned less money than me. Football of course not like any other business but I do think it could have some sort of impact on relationships between managers and players.

Edited by Sortmeout

28 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Don’t be silly Rangers players and staff wages are paid by the holding company and have nothing to do with the club. It’s all free if you are Rangers.

Lovely piece of sevco/ing.

Probably more interesting than the pay dynamic is the fact that a) a player is in many cases as much of an investment/asset as they are an employee and hold far more commercial value than a manager does, who is much more like a traditional employee (in most cases).

That leads to the fact that an underperforming asset is the responsibility of the one employed to manage them. Traditionally that means, for example, a salesperson being sacked for not pushing a product, whilst here we’re potentially seeing a manager be sacked for a player being a lazy c**t. 

As much stick as managers get, I do wonder why anyone does the job sometimes. It must take some amount of courage and/or arrogance/brass neck to do it. 

13 hours ago, AndyX said:

So everybody cares obsessively about who their club's manager should be...

But nobody cares what money is made available to hire them. Like there isn't an obvious link.

You just need to venture into the Championship or League One forum when a manager leaves a club to see some of the mental shouts fans of said club have.  Clubs who get 1500 every home game yet want some ex-Scottish Premiership manager who was clearly on 4/5 large a week at their last club.

'Aww but he's out of work so we should at least pick up the phone to him'.  Yes, and get swiftly told to get to absolute fuck.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

As much stick as managers get, I do wonder why anyone does the job sometimes. It must take some amount of courage and/or arrogance/brass neck to do it. 

I agree. You could probably pick the ones who have courage and who just has a brass neck quite easily too. Jack Ross said before that he doesn't have much interest in getting back into it, he's got a cushy number with Newcastle youths gets to do all the coaching - which I'm led to believe is what he's good at - but without all the hassle and pressure.

I guess a lot of them just get a bit of a bug for it. Must be some buzz when you're doing well, and once you give something like that up, you'll never get a feeling like that again.