Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

23 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

For those who are booked to go to Berlin, D3 would be the team to be as they are the only one to have two group games there.

I'd prefer D2, Hamburg and Leipzig are easy day trips, Dusseldorf is a bit of a trek.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's a decent chance that one win would get us through.

It's good and probably healthy to be optimistic. Well done you.

18 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

We're better than everyone in pot 4 right now bar Italy. We're better than most teams in pot 2. In almost all draw permutations this Scotland team should be making R16. 

I don't agree with that. I'm not going to put a case forward as I don't want to argue over it. I think we're coin flips against Switzerland and Serbia. Romania and Albania are the only pot-2 teams I'd be okay to accept we're better than and that's without knowing a thing about them, the rest mostly around coin flip territory.

So other things being equal (average draw, average refereeing, opponents performing averagely etc) I'd say we're going to have a fight to make it through and qualifying from the group would be a good achievement on it's own. That's my expectation ahead of the draw. Is that too pessimistic?

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I don't agree with that. I'm not going to put a case forward as I don't want to argue over it. I think we're coin flips against Switzerland and Serbia. Romania and Albania are the only pot-2 teams I'd be okay to accept we're better than and that's without knowing a thing about them, the rest mostly around coin flip territory.

So other things being equal (average draw, average refereeing, opponents performing averagely etc) I'd say we're going to have a fight to make it through and qualifying from the group would be a good achievement on it's own. That's my expectation ahead of the draw. Is that too pessimistic?

I think that's fair.  I'd say that the 24 sides can probably be split something like this:

- Tier 1/1.5: France; England; Portugal

- Tier 2/2.5: Spain; Italy; Germany; Belgium; Netherlands; Croatia; Hungary; Switzerland; Denmark

- Tier 3/3.5: Austria; Czechia; Scotland; Serbia; Albania; Turkey; Slovenia; Slovakia; Romania (Wales/Ukraine/Finland/Poland et)

- Tier 4/4.5: Georgia/Iceland/Luxembourg etc

A few teams will underperform (Austria almost had a near-perfect qualification record for 2016 then went out scoring once), whilst others will do something special.  Some of that is down to luck, but I'd want to avoid Hungary and Austria for those reasons.

Difficult to know how good Serbia, Turkey, Czechia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Denmark and Romania are right now.  They all made heavy weather of qualifying, with some even struggling with really quite average groups. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Not pessimistic at all. it’s feet on the ground common sense, maybe the result of watching the last Euros when we delivered one of our worst ever tournament showings despite the benefit of two home matches. You might even say it’s a coin toss against every one of the 9 known teams in pots 2 & 4.. How good do people think we actually are? There are folk on here and elsewhere suggesting Italy is a good fit for us as a pot 4 oppo. That’s mental. Italy had the pre-tournament faves in their group as well as a toughie in Ukraine. Six of their club sides are in positions 1 or 2 in their respective groups re CL,NL etc ( yes some players are foreigners, but still) Historically, they are a very durable tournament side. It suits their mentality, it seems. They might not even have been the best team at the last Euros but they still won the thing.
Some of this bring-on-Italy Wha’s Like Us shite reminds me of 1978.

With our very best XI on the pitch and a wee bit of luck of the draw we can progress. But if 3 or 4 of those squad jobbers get a game in a group containing say France, Denmark and Italy,  we’ve had it.

Notpessimistic at all, 2426255

Anyone but England please, there is too much additional baggage attached to this game that would overshadow everything else. The media and social media build up would be excruciating. The recent game at Hampden has slightly put me off this fixture and it also tends to bring out some of the worst elements in our support. 

If we have to play them at all in the tournament, then let it be in the final! 🤔

On second thoughts, Perhaps even funnier would be to play them in the 3rd place playoff! It would mean we had overachieved, while they (in their own minds) will have underachieved! 😂

Wales host Finland, and will host the final once they scrape through that. UEFA probably give them a best of three stone, paper, scissors to stay in if they happen to lose.

You can tell if they get to the finals they'll somehow land a group with Albion Rovers, Montrose's women's side, and The Galapagos Islands.

30 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Of course Wales get the home draw for the final.  

Georgia/Luxembourg, and Ukraine/Bosnia also get the home draw for the final.

Georgia v Greece could be some game.

Jammy for Wales, they have a great chance to make it now. 

I'm hoping Luxembourg can turn Georgia over, but seems unlikely.

I think if you a add the better play-off teams to pot-4 based on the draw then it begins to look a bit more challenging. Serbia, Switzerland, Italy, Ukraine, Poland/Wales, Greece. I'd still probably prefer to be drawn against a play-off team, but none of those teams would be straightforward wins.

Every game against the pot 2 or 4 teams (bar Italy or if any of the weaker playoff sides get through) is essentially a toss up. We’d be slight favourites against a couple and slight underdogs against some others.

It isn’t a given, but in a tournament where 4 points will almost certainly see us get through the group it would be a disappointment to bow out in the first round in almost all draw scenarios. We aren’t likely to get a better chance to do so than next summer.