The Americanisation of UK culture

It’s all related to the reduction of support for the BBC. At one time the cultured Yank watched Masterpiece Theatre and the like on PBS (Publoc Broadcasting System) and made subtle adjustments to behavior and accent based upon it. As time went on the big American networks instead started stealing British shows, filing off the serial numbers, and “recreating” them (Steptoe and Son/Sanford and Son being the commonly accepted first instance) for broadcast. Now a decent proportion of UK tv IS U.S. tv.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Quite a few of the kids at my school ask to go to "the bathroom". I of course ask if they need to take a bath or if they didn't manage to wash this morning but for every one that sheepishly changes is to "the toilet", I get two or three who don't understand the point I'm making.

Taking us back to the 18th century, that's proper pedantry. I had no clue that was an apparant Americanism til today. 

1 hour ago, Death warmed up said:

My kids and all their pals say New Year's

What should they be saying? 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Quite a few of the kids at my school ask to go to "the bathroom". I of course ask if they need to take a bath or if they didn't manage to wash this morning but for every one that sheepishly changes is to "the toilet", I get two or three who don't understand the point I'm making.

In the St Enoch Centre they are restrooms 

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I don't know if you've realised, but there's a sweeping Americanisation of this country been going on. Stupid Yank phrases, customs and pastimes have been infiltrating our society, and its about time someone put an end to it before its too late. No more should we tolerate "proms", "baby showers" or "gender reveals", American's hosting "football" and "baseball" games in London, and people using Z's instead of S's and other nonsense from the Yank dictionary.

How long until people in this once proud country are celebrating "thanksgiving" and calling nurseries "kindergarten"? How can we stop cultural Yankism?

I'm getting a Thanksgiving dinner in a couple of hours

Right enough the missus is a septic, should I refuse on moral grounds or get tore into the scran?

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As much as they have their faults, at least the BBC are one of the few remaining outlets on TV that haven't adopted the word 'movie'.

image.png.487236dcdd697e96884eaba3b9bfc323.png

They've spelt it wrong...

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't think that a country that has such a fucked up and indecent political system, elects Donald Trump and thinks the "freedom" to own and carry firearms is more important than children's lives is the best country to copy IMO.

I quite fancy an AK47.

15 minutes ago, Peil said:

I'm getting a Thanksgiving dinner in a couple of hours

Right enough the missus is a septic, should I refuse on moral grounds or get tore into the scran?

Call it practise Christmas Dinner, demand some sprouts and get torn in.

The Raith facebook page asks a series of fan submitted questions of a player the day before a game.

It's not bad but today a question put to Liam Dick mentioned locker room instead of dressing room.

Seething.