Motherwell vs. Dundee Saturday December 2nd

58 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Never a red for Paton. Seemed like p***k Walsh was trying his hardest to screw us on VAR with lengthy checks for no reason after our first two goals.

Spot on. I thought the ref had a good game. He dealt with this incident, gave a yellow so I assumed when VAR intervened then it must have been a shocking challenge that he's clearly missed. But this is it.....? VAR is supposed to prevent major injustices. This is the kinda tackle that would split opinion - some will say red, others yellow, and if that's the case then VAR should have stuck with the on-field decision. Utter shite. 

Absolutely fucking dreadful yet again. How Dundee conspired to give us a point I don't know. The amount of times we failed to complete simple 5 yard passes was criminal, and an absolute shambles at both ends of the pitch. Some atrocious defending, and Obika's miss coupled with the one Wilkinson skied into the Cooper showed just how badly we're lacking quality (Biereth aside) up front.

Dundee look a decent enough side and played some nice stuff in the acres of space we gave them, but the pundit on BBC radio claiming it was a classic game of football was stretching things slightly. This Motherwell side is utter fucking bobbins.

Pure egg on the face to the away end. Twist and shout to hearing a pin drop in seconds. Time wasting against ten men who were largely gash and throw it away. Criminal really.

I’ll take it. However it just delays the inevitable. It’s gone for Kettlewell.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tony Docherty is playing 4D chess IMO. He did it with St Johnstone and now Motherwell, helping keep shite managers in the job for longer.

I agree with you Ludo. Keep it simple and see games out. 
As for the red, I mean you sometimes get away with them, but it was a very rash challenge imo. 

Was hoping that Wilkinson's yellow was going to be upgraded to a red to get him to f**k, then the fucker scores.

Really wanted SK to sort it out and stay, but he's had long enough time to gtf.

Dundee made a right James Hunt of that, home and hosed against a shocking, demoralised and clueless bunch of alleged professional football players who deserved f**k all from a game of football.

Tin hat on here , but Carson has to be the most over rated goalie at dens for years , twice today easily beaten at his near post , add the huge mistake against rangers allowing them to easily open the scoring , the amount of times he fails to pick up pass backs giving to him from knee high or above , he is a step up from Ledgzins, but I wish we’d kept that keeper from Norwich we had on loan 

5 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Tin hat on here , but Carson has to be the most over rated goalie at dens for years , twice today easily beaten at his near post , add the huge mistake against rangers allowing them to easily open the scoring , the amount of times he fails to pick up pass backs giving to him from knee high or above , he is a step up from Ledgzins, but I wish we’d kept that keeper from Norwich we had on loan 

Didn’t think he covered himself in glory today, almost let the long range shot in from the centre half too. 

12 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

I'd swap you Kelly for him.

Just now, ropy said:

Motherwell had 6 fouls resulting in 3 yellow and 1 red cards.  Remember when you used to pull the guy over and point to 4 places round the pitch then book him, you only get one chance nowadays.

For completeness Dundee had 9 fouls and 1 yellow with another for time wasting.

That red is a joke just saw it on sportscene. The ref dealt perfectly with a mistimed swipe at the ball, VAR has no need to intervene- it obviously looks worse when slowed down but f**k sake. Get it so far to f**k. 

How Dundee didn't win that I'll never know. They absolutely strolled the first half, miles better than us and should probably have gone for the jugular more than they did. 2nd half was even and Dundee didn't create very much but they should still have seen us off with ease. We're still at the point where we have one functional striker in Biereth and a collection of players who are either decent in the build up but can't finish to save themselves (almost everyone) or vice versa (Wilkinson).

I hate talking about VAR TBH - and I'm not even going to concentrate on Paton's red as it is arguable at least (even though it is *nowhere* near as bad as Taylor's challenge on Spittal at Parkhead last week that wasn't even deemed worthy of a review by the ref). Our first two goals were both standard stuff that wouldn't even have been worth a 2nd glance in the past - but both had to be reviewed by VAR, which is a total fucking joy sapper when you're at the game - i wasn't even sure if the 2nd one had been given as the referee didn't indicate it clearly. Without exaggeration, it is completely killing the small amount of enjoyment for me week after week.

We were a fucking mile off it at the back again - I'm not sure how we can go from looking pretty secure to what we are seeing every week (parkhead is looking like a fluke). If we don't sort it out, we'll be very near the bottom of the league in May.

I haven’t seen any highlights but at the game I wondered how Dundee had six players in the six yard box without being offside at their first goal and I did wonder if the reason Mugabi was 5 feet above everyone else at his goal was if he was ‘climbing’ on a defender.

Edited by ropy

I wasn't at the game today but from what I've read and been told the result has very much papered over the cracks.

County away on Tuesday is absolutely must win but I have zero faith in our ability to do so. Failure means it's 12 without a win and I can't see how Kettlewell can possibly stay in the job longer than that.

Anyone wondering about the impact of VAR on a game only needs to have been at this one today. You are never sure if your team has scored or conceded a goal. A fear or a hope that it will be chalked off minutes later always lingers now. When you have taken the best thing about the game, namely celebrating a goal, and effectively ruined it as more often than not there is a review you need to blindly sit though for three or four minutes after it, then the game is in trouble. The pure instant joy of a goal seems lost now.

Edited by Quatermass

40 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

That red is a joke just saw it on sportscene. The ref dealt perfectly with a mistimed swipe at the ball, VAR has no need to intervene- it obviously looks worse when slowed down but f**k sake. Get it so far to f**k. 

Have to agree. Nonsense red card.