Hibs v Aberdeen

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s an absolute embarrassment in interviews.

He thinks we’re as thick as he is. 

As someone raised on the edge of the central belt, I always fear that an unconscious bias that makes me think he's dim because of his teuchter accent. But perhaps he is just dense and I'm not a self-hating bigot after all 🤷😂

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We have home games by the bucketload over December.

Yeah, I mean that the fixtures are overly skewed one way or the other - Its probably rose tinted specs, but I do yearn for the "good old days" of 3pm Saturday fixtures, and you almost knew that if you were away this week you would be back home next.

I genuinely cant understand why the computer cant sort this kind of shit out.

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Yeah, I mean that the fixtures are overly skewed one way or the other - Its probably rose tinted specs, but I do yearn for the "good old days" of 3pm Saturday fixtures, and you almost knew that if you were away this week you would be back home next.

I genuinely cant understand why the computer cant sort this kind of shit out.

Wouldn’t that be great. 

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I’m just not blinkered.

The results & statistics speak for themselves 

The results in the league are shite. I’m not saying that we are going to win the home games coming up, but I’m saying that we have seen enough good performances this season to give Barry Robson the opportunity to get these results.

7 hours ago, Left Back said:

Why?

Attempts at goal/attempts on target can be just as meaningless.  50 shots from the halfway line that were on target means nothing but would look great in the stats (except the xG one obviously)

Who determines what xG is?  It’s subjective, like most things in football.

Of course it’s subjective, hence why it should be used as one factor of an overall analysis and not be overly relied on.

But you’ve kind of made the point there for me, 50 shots from the halfway line would be reflected in a low xG which clearly makes it more informative than shots on goal. 

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If it is not a "meaningful stat", then why do so many elite level managers and players pay attention to it and reference it? It is not the be all and end all, of course, but it seems to be the most useful tool we have for understanding the quality of chances a team is creating and receiving. 

It's only useful over a long time horizon, at least 10 games. Stuff that happens in an individual game has too big an influence to make it particularly useful in that game by itself.

e.g. Norway had much better xG than Scotland in the Euro qualifying group, but nobody (in their right mind) would claim that Norway "deserved" to qualify.

13 hours ago, velo army said:

The use of xG as a meaningful stat 

I like my data, but where it can be somewhat flawed is the context of the game.

I didn't get along yesterday, but judging by the highlights Hibs were the side who got on the front foot early and made it count.

Now, on previous post-Euro Sundays (and given our record when losing the first goal) that is pretty much game over there and then.

The team did least turn up and make a go of it this time, but who's to say that if we'd equalised, that Hibs wouldn't then have re-taken the initiative and upped their xG a tad.

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I like my data, but where it can be somewhat flawed is the context of the game.

Cant disagree with this - in the early league matches this season, Johnson would argue that we "had 70% possession" or some other stat.

What he failed to acknowledge was that most of that was passing the ball across the back line from Miller to Fish to Hanlon to Stevenson and back via Marshall because we had no clue what to do with it.

Stats can be useful, but they dont tell the whole story (in any match, not just yesterday).

Aberdeen were very unlucky not to score yesterday - that happens from time to time and was also happening before people were trotting out xG stats.

Its widely accepted that xG is far more useful when used over a period of multiple games, if not the whole season, than in individual games.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Cant disagree with this - in the early league matches this season, Johnson would argue that we "had 70% possession" or some other stat.

Stephen Glass was the same. Talked up our possession stats, which were mainly a result of endless square and backwards balls with zero incisiveness past halfway.