**The Official P&B Christmas 2023 Thread**

Wee-Bey

7 hours ago, Molotov said:

Things must be tough at the palace this year when the poor kids can’t afford to have shoelaces. Think they can’t afford a carpet fitter either. 
IMG_5540.thumb.webp.504d5d6421583491a42dde623a820dec.webp

William will be needing a carpet fitter for his napper this time next year

On 11/12/2023 at 08:06, scottsdad said:

When William buys Kate a strap-on for Christmas, does that count as a gift for her or a gift for him?

On 11/12/2023 at 08:40, kennie makevin said:

According to The Daily Mail it counts as a gift for us.

Apparently he's known in the family as "Kate-A-Mite."

6 minutes ago, The DA said:

image.png.689ff329f62ea298440ffa7bf8e10d36.png

I have mixed emotions around this. On one hand that's a grim reference and is a bit more on the nose than a lot of the more subtle homophobia that's underlain the comments around Will's alleged predilections.

On the other hand there's the thrill at learning a new word. 

54 minutes ago, velo army said:

I have mixed emotions around this. On one hand that's a grim reference and is a bit more on the nose than a lot of the more subtle homophobia that's underlain the comments around Will's alleged predilections.

On the other hand there's the thrill at learning a new word. 

I only know the word from the opening of Anthony Burgess's book 'Earthly Powers' that I read in the 80s.

'It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me.'

I've never seen it anywhere else.

1 hour ago, The DA said:

I only know the word from the opening of Anthony Burgess's book 'Earthly Powers' that I read in the 80s.

'It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me.'

I've never seen it anywhere else.

I first came across the word many, many years ago when reading The Iliad.

In Greek mythology, Ganymede ( Ancient Greek: Γανυμήδης Ganymēdēs) is a divine hero whose homeland was Troy. Homer describes Ganymede as the most beautiful of mortals and tells the story of how he was abducted by the gods to serve as Zeus's cup-bearer in Olympus.

[Ganymedes] was the loveliest born of the race of mortals, and therefore
the gods caught him away to themselves, to be Zeus' wine-pourer,
for the sake of his beauty, so he might be among the immortals.

— Homer, Iliad, Book XX, lines 233–235.[3]

The myth was a model for the Greek social custom of paiderastía, the romantic relationship between an adult male and an adolescent male. The Latin form of the name was Catamitus (and also "Ganymedes"), from which the English word catamite is derived.[4] Socrates says that Zeus was in love with Ganymede, called "desire" in Plato's Phaedrus.[5] According to Plato's Laws, the Cretans were regularly accused of inventing the myth because they wanted to justify their unnatural pleasures.[6]

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

19 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I first came across the word many, many years ago when reading The Iliad.

In Greek mythology, Ganymede ( Ancient Greek: Γανυμήδης Ganymēdēs) is a divine hero whose homeland was Troy. Homer describes Ganymede as the most beautiful of mortals and tells the story of how he was abducted by the gods to serve as Zeus's cup-bearer in Olympus.

[Ganymedes] was the loveliest born of the race of mortals, and therefore
the gods caught him away to themselves, to be Zeus' wine-pourer,
for the sake of his beauty, so he might be among the immortals.

— Homer, Iliad, Book XX, lines 233–235.[3]

The myth was a model for the Greek social custom of paiderastía, the romantic relationship between an adult male and an adolescent male. The Latin form of the name was Catamitus (and also "Ganymedes"), from which the English word catamite is derived.[4] Socrates says that Zeus was in love with Ganymede, called "desire" in Plato's Phaedrus.[5] According to Plato's Laws, the Cretans were regularly accused of inventing the myth because they wanted to justify their unnatural pleasures.[6]

I didn't  know Homer was in stuff before The Simpsons.

43 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Just heard  Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses on the radio for the first time this year. Fantastic song. The ONLY good Christmas song.

On the one hand, you are correct that it's an excellent song. On the other, you are completely wrong that its the only good one. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

On the one hand, you are correct that it's an excellent song. On the other, you are completely wrong that its the only good one. 

No.

The only other one that's passable is Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, only because it sounds like he/she says "some fucking pie" in it.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

No.

The only other one that's passable is Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, only because it sounds like he/she says "some fucking pie" in it.

And The Darkness's Christmas Time, if only for the double-entendres ('Bell's end' and 'Ring in peace'').