Favourite football podcast

The Equalizer

Currently consuming Super scoreboard, Big scottish football podcast, My new football club, The rest is football, kinda fell out of love with the cycling GK but I liked it for a while. 

Happy to add a poll if we get suggestions. What do the P and B massive consume on a daily basis? How do you get your fix?

Listening to quite a few podcasts at the moment. Falkirk Daft is good for keeping me abreast of most things Falkirk FC. I reckon most on here will like their teams podcasts more than others..

Used to like Open Goal, but think I'm too old for their 'banter' now. Si Ferry Meets led me to that. Those interviews were often really good.
Getting Sacked in the Morning has its moments. 
Undr the Cosh is really good. They concentrate on lower English League guests and you get a few Scottish lads turning up on it.
Four, Fore two (with John McGinlay) is good at times. They do a wee game of golf and then an interview afterwards. I liked the one with big Mixu, on Burntisland golf course.
Just getting into The Rest is Football. Will see how it goes....

Although not solely football related, High Performance podcast has had footballers/ managers on it. The Eddie Howe one was really good, You get an understanding on what drives the man, and can see why Celtic was not the correct fit for him.

Just the kind of feedback I was after. Sacked in the morning is a good shout. I think Levein comes across quite well. I would encourage anyone who likes lower league football to give My New Football Club a whirl. David Earles journey into Exeter City is quite endearing. I even find myself occasionally checking exeweb!

The Terrace is my favorite. Even pay for the Pateron. The lower league round up with Telfer and Shaugn always has me laughing. One thing I would say when the tv show is on it can dip a bit.

ABZ Podcast to me is the better of the Aberdeen ones.

behind the cosh, sacked in the morning as others have said.

park the bus is a run down of highland league and lower league and below

beyond canal park not every week but some good interviews mostly ex highland league players but few gems can be found

Scots abroad interviews with players who now play abroad 

16 minutes ago, Moorie said:

The Terrace is my favorite. Even pay for the Pateron. The lower league round up with Telfer and Shaugn always has me laughing. One thing I would say when the tv show is on it can dip a bit.

Sadly they don't seem as regular now for whatever reason. I don't really want to have to put up with Shaughan lording it over the Pars given how well they are doing but on the Thursday pod I'd still rather listen to him and Telfer chat shit about the lower leagues than midweek Premiership stuff, "who is the best player at each Premiership club", "who are the best goalkeepers in the Premiership" etc that seems to be more and more common recently.

In terms of ones I listen to, it's the usual suspects really. Guardian Football Weekly, Totally Football Show, Golazzo (not that they seem to make any new ones now), Quickly Kevin, Football Clichés, occasionally I'll dip into Not the Top 20, Football Ramble, some Pars specific ones and MotD Top 10 (not listened to The Rest is Football yet but seems very similar).

There's a Celtic podcast called 'The Huddle Breakdown' that's probably my favourite. I'm not a Celtic fan. I found it when I was following Celtic for a season (The Covid meltdown season) as they had a high percentage of National team players in their team which is where my interest lies. It's analytical, I know that's not everybody's cup of tea. I find it insightful and thoughtful and never disappoints which I prefer to boys just shooting the shit about their team for an hour or worse a pretend analytical podcast of which there are many.

The fact it's my favourite even now when I have no interest in Celtic beyond how McGregor, Taylor, Ralston and Turnbull are doing tells its own story.

I think a lot of podcasts fall into the trap of releasing too frequently and I'm sure there are reasons for that, probably money being a big one. Less is more - I prefer podcasts where episodes are more sparing (once a fortnight or monthly) so you don't get overloaded. Quality over quantity imo.   

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Sadly they don't seem as regular now for whatever reason. I don't really want to have to put up with Shaughan lording it over the Pars given how well they are doing but on the Thursday pod I'd still rather listen to him and Telfer chat shit about the lower leagues than midweek Premiership stuff, "who is the best player at each Premiership club", "who are the best goalkeepers in the Premiership" etc that seems to be more and more common recently.

In terms of ones I listen to, it's the usual suspects really. Guardian Football Weekly, Totally Football Show, Golazzo (not that they seem to make any new ones now), Quickly Kevin, Football Clichés, occasionally I'll dip into Not the Top 20, Football Ramble, some Pars specific ones and MotD Top 10 (not listened to The Rest is Football yet but seems very similar).

Now the tv show is finished for now the Thursday show should be back.

i do listen to the premiership run down but to be honest I rarely reach the end of it. The best and worst XI ones get missed by me too. Pretty easy to see who these players are without a show on it. Again hopefully now the tv show now done for the moment the content gets a bit better.

a few good ones on the pateron of Fowler speaking to podcasters from other ones on their team and what’s going on with them.

i did enjoy the one where they reviewed tv shows, music, films etc but they binned that one 

45 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Now the tv show is finished for now the Thursday show should be back.

i do listen to the premiership run down but to be honest I rarely reach the end of it. The best and worst XI ones get missed by me too. Pretty easy to see who these players are without a show on it. Again hopefully now the tv show now done for the moment the content gets a bit better.

a few good ones on the pateron of Fowler speaking to podcasters from other ones on their team and what’s going on with them.

i did enjoy the one where they reviewed tv shows, music, films etc but they binned that one 

I listen to it more for the Patreons these days, I am not that interested in the Premiership now Dundee United are not in it, and the club specific Patreons are always interesting. The Shaughan/Telfer podcasts are great, but they are a lot less frequent when the TV show is running. Fair enough, they all have day jobs and time is limited.

Other than that, I listen to the Guardian football one, the Price of Football podcast, and the Upshot. Spotify keeps trying to force me to listen to the Rest Is Football podcast, but f**k that. Listened to it once, lasted five minutes.

ETA: The Dode Fox podcast is very good, but I am not sure how interesting it would be to people who don't support Dundee United.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

Peter Crouch podcast is a decent listen if you can put up with all the advertisements these day.

Sacked in the morning podcast is generally good as well, although there has been the odd guest you cant be arsed listening too. Also like Open Goal as well but do feel it has declined in quality over the years.

10 hours ago, Moorie said:

ABZ Podcast to me is the better of the Aberdeen ones.

I like their interviews. In my experience, though, their general discussions tend to be on the verbose side. They also, perhaps stemming from that, have a tendency to switch opinions very easily. They clearly have an audience, though, so fair play to them. I prefer Here We Go for general discussion and match chat, even if is mostly a platform for one person. 

More generally, Open Goal isn't really for me. Having said that, I have listened to some of the interviews in the past and I think Ferry gets a bit more out of fellow 'football men' than others might manage. 

I used to listen to The Terrace regularly, but now it is more of a case of deciding whether I will listen when I see who is on a particular episode. The quality of the discussions can vary quite drastically IMO. 

Football Cliches is my favourite podcast and I am delighted that it is back from its hiatus. 

8 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I dunno if it's an age thing, but I cannot stand Open Goal. It's obviously very popular, but nah, not for me.

I’ve never got into it. Seen a few clips and that but to me seems like it be hard work to listen to. That slane boy comes across a bit of a clown too. 

Only one I listen to which hasn’t been mentioned is Stadio. Usually covers the top five leagues, European competitions and a bit of women’s football from time to time. It’s maybe a bit hipster and woke for some, but being a bit hipster and woke, it works for me.

I feel similarly about The Terrace. Only started Football Cliches since the rebrand and I absolutely adore it.

Edited by Smurph

My main 3 are

• The Terrace - discussed enough above. 
  • Welcome to Hell - weekly - St Pauli specific podcast. 
  • 2. Bundesliga podcast - weekly - a run through of all the matches and recent talking points from the Bundesliga 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love The Greatest Games from the Blizzard (originally on the Football Ramble) with Marcus Speller and Jonathan Wilson.

A different guest each episode would pick their favourite match from history and discuss it and other things that were happening around that time. Lots of great episodes and memories of past games.

Seems to have stopped a few years ago unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a fan of the open goal podcast can’t stick ferry or wee slainy.

fair enjoyed the Mciness interview they done for new year. 

• 2 months later...

The latest Football Cliches quiz with the boys from the Terrace is a superb listen. Would highly recommend.

Spoiler

Had to pause it for a good half hour trying to think of the 12 outfield players to have a cap for England and played in Scotland since 2000. Kept on muttering ‘Steve Guppy’ to myself for an unhealthy period of time only to be proved wrong. Ended up with 8 of them.

11 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

The latest Football Cliches quiz with the boys from the Terrace is a superb listen. Would highly recommend.

Hide contents

Had to pause it for a good half hour trying to think of the 12 outfield players to have a cap for England and played in Scotland since 2000. Kept on muttering ‘Steve Guppy’ to myself for an unhealthy period of time only to be proved wrong. Ended up with 8 of them.

Glad you enjoyed this, was brilliant fun to be involved in.

Spoiler

Guppy was capped for England in 1999.