Airdrie vs Pars (9th December)

Thought Otto and Hamilton were brilliant today. Otto has a bright future in the game IMO.

MOH and Summers done so many great things then fucked it at the easy part, which was frustrating. We’ve definitely got a team here more than capable of finishing 4th, although I wouldn’t feel too clever up against Raith in a play-off scenario. McPake managed to do it with Dundee, so we’ll see what happens. Finishing 4th would be an amazing achievement for a newly promoted team.   

29 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Thought Otto and Hamilton were brilliant today. Otto has a bright future in the game IMO.

MOH and Summers done so many great things then fucked it at the easy part, which was frustrating. We’ve definitely got a team here more than capable of finishing 4th, although I wouldn’t feel too clever up against Raith in a play-off scenario. McPake managed to do it with Dundee, so we’ll see what happens. Finishing 4th would be an amazing achievement for a newly promoted team.   

All the lads you've noted weren't in their natural positions today, which I think bodes well, as when we have enough players fit there will be competition for places as well as a really strong bench.

Said strong bench will allow us to force changes to games later on.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Can you see McPake being tempted again, if Livi and Motherwell empty their managers which looks pretty likely in the near future 

8 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Can you see McPake being tempted again, if Livi and Motherwell empty their managers which looks pretty likely in the near future 

I’d imagine there would be a few managers ahead of McPake in any shortlist. Ian Murray being an obvious one, but Doolan at Thistle also doing a very good job. Callum Davidson surely a more appealing option too - particularly whilst he’s unemployed!

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

, so we’ll see what happens. Finishing 4th would be an amazing achievement for a newly promoted team.   

Disagree IMO. 

However also IMO, JM abillitly to get so much out of an injury depleted squad deserves endless credit, fair play. 

47 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Listening to James interview. He said we were comfortable? 

Not at the game today but really surprised at that. Thought we were massively under strength today. To beat Airdrie on their home patch with that 11 is impressive.

We were comfortable. Aside from a couple of chances, one either half, Airdrie had little. Only a stupid challenge in the box gave them hope, via the penalty, but even after that it wasn't like we were hanging on desperately 

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

No chance will McPake be on Motherwell’s radar. Can’t see Livi binning Martindale tbh after all those years of working wonders. Would be incredibly harsh, but there’s very little loyalty in football I guess. Livi are in the Premiership. That’s about all they have going for them. Absolutely no chance they’d able to offer better the wages or pay the fee involved to buy him out his contract. 

10 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Listening to James interview. He said we were comfortable? 

Not at the game today but really surprised at that. Thought we were massively under strength today. To beat Airdrie on their home patch with that 11 is impressive.

Honestly, we were very comfortable. Could easily have been 3/4-0, had we had a bit more luck and if we didn’t give away a stupid penalty right at the end. We were in control for more or less the full game. Wasn’t like we had them under constant pressure or that, we just controlled the game. Didn’t give them anything and had some good moves that resulted in great chances - including 2 that went just wide from Chalmers & Edwards. Airdrie keeper made 3 decent saves from Jakubiak too. Not going to criticise Jakubiak - his shots were low and hard (and most importantly, on target), which is what I think a striker should be doing in those positions. Their keeper just did well with those saves.

I genuinely didn’t think we were conceding yesterday. Only reason we did, was a bit of a brain fart to give away a needless penalty, but thankfully it didn’t impact the result.

We were comfortable and pinged the ball about with ease at times. We could have had 4/5 goals. Chalmers and Edwards came really close with efforts outside the box and Rae pulled off 2 good saves from Jakubiak. 

Airdrie threatened at times, but we definitely commanded the game. 

On 09/12/2023 at 17:16, CALDERON said:

Have to say Dunfermline are looking good bet for top 4.  Difficult to see anyone outside the playoffs overhauling any of the current top 4.

I beleive we've got a good chance, Inverness though look to be on a good run of form. 

45 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Think Inverness will certainly be in with a shout. I was pretty impressed with Ayr when we played them.  Think they will have a say in the play off battle.

I heard that there was a virus going about the club at that time, which would certainly explain how off it we were that day. I was still kinda fucked with the flu myself then, but I had hospitality that day, so wasn’t for missing it. Wish I had and stayed in my bed; we were so poor that day. 

On 09/12/2023 at 18:33, DA Baracus said:

Pleasing. We have played much better this season but with such a makeshift team we were rarely troubled. Mehmet had the save he put on to the bar first half and the save second half near post but otherwise wasn't bothered. 

We played some not bad stuff at times although were often frustrating on the ball, with Summers and MOH being the main offenders, although both played well overall.

Hamilton was dominant in defender. As noted by others, he won almost everything at the back, especially against a largely neutralised Todorov.

Our goals were well worked moves, both involving unselfish final balls. Jakubiak should have made it 3 later on (will he ever score for us?!).

Silly penalty to concede.

Had a good time pre-match. West End Bar, Imperial Bar, Cellar Bar and The Brooknowe were all decent. Unsure why bottles of Quilmes are so popular in Airdrie pubs but not complaining as I think said beer is excellent.

Also, got lost going to the ground and went down a cul-de-sac in error, so missed the first 5 minutes. Underestimated the distanc ine to the ground from the town centre.

Think as soon as he gets 1 he will start scoring regularly for us