Airdrie vs Pars (9th December)

The Best Friends* Derby resumes next weekend.

Airdrie are just one point behind us after today's loss at Firhill (we know the feeling) but have played a game more.

All games between us last season were close (two single goal wins** for us and two draws) and the first game of this season at East End was also close (also a single goal victory).

VELOCIRAPTOR!

** "Single goal win" doesn’t quite convey the nature of the win at their ground last season.

Depends on how the injuries look. The week off would have been helpful, perhaps Bene and Breen are that bit closer, Summers was due to be back in the squad on Saturday which would've been welcome. No definite answer on Kane's shoulder but hopefully we'll know more this week. I'd imagine the week will have helped Moffat's case as his looked like the least of the worries last week but Fisher's looked a problem.

No reason why we can't go and win but I think it'll be a tense, tight affair with a team winning by one goal.

1-2 to the Pars with Todorov scoring for Airdrie.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Fck Peter Hetherston, Kenny Black and Jimmy Sandison! 

I'm predicting a draw on Saturday. These games are never dull so it'll be 4-4 with 3 red cards, 2 penalties and at least one manager sent to the stand. 

Usually Dave Mackay, rather than the manager. Think he got sent off twice v Airdrie last year? Expect Josh Rae to do something that should see him get sent off, since he seems to save his stupidity for the games against us.

Funny that there were so many red cards (including coaching staff) in these games last season, as I genuinely don’t think there was any particularly bad challenges/aggro at all in the games, just 2 teams that wanted to win.

Have to admit, I thought Airdrie might struggle this season, due to their defensive frailties last season, but they’re doing pretty well, so good on them for that. McCabe seems like a decent manager and clearly seems to get the best out of the group of players he has. As others have said, expect another close game, but I hope we can come home with the 3 points.

36 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Wonder if McCabe could be kn the radar of some Premiership clubs come January? Aberdeen might be starting to get twitchy again.

All for seeing young managers get a chance but I'd eat my hat if Rhys McCabe was to replace Barry Robson at Aberdeen. The St.Johnstone gig the other week would have been more likely, even the Ross Co one, but can't see him doing Airdrie to Aberdeen. FWIW I think Rhys will do well in management but all in good time.

I think he'd need a good finish this season (like top 4) to get a Premiership gig, probably a Livi or St Johnstone type job, and even then it would still be seen as a bit of a 'different' appointment. That said, he's a lot more managerial experience/success than Steven MacLean, Barry Robson, Stevie Naismith and others who get given jobs at that level.

The added interest is that it would mean retiring aged 31 while still playing in the Championship, plus Fordyce retiring too (assuming he went with him). A big enough job offer would take that decision out his hands but a smaller step up the ladder might not be enough to tempt them to hang up the boots. I don't see him leaving this season and football can change very quickly, a poor 2nd half of the season and everything changes.

A big game on Saturday, expect another tight game which is impossible to call. We really need to start turning these narrow games into wins soon though.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think he'd need a good finish this season (like top 4) to get a Premiership gig, probably a Livi or St Johnstone type job, and even then it would still be seen as a bit of a 'different' appointment. That said, he's a lot more managerial experience/success than Steven MacLean, Barry Robson, Stevie Naismith and others who get given jobs at that level.

The added interest is that it would mean retiring aged 31 while still playing in the Championship, plus Fordyce retiring too (assuming he went with him). A big enough job offer would take that decision out his hands but a smaller step up the ladder might not be enough to tempt them to hang up the boots. I don't see him leaving this season and football can change very quickly, a poor 2nd half of the season and everything changes.

Think that’s his biggest thing, at what point does he call it on playing? Likely that won’t come through choice. He’s either going to take on a job where he recognises he’s not as good as the players he has to choose from, or he’s going to fail badly enough in a dual role he has to choose.  

10 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Usually Dave Mackay, rather than the manager. Think he got sent off twice v Airdrie last year? Expect Josh Rae to do something that should see him get sent off, since he seems to save his stupidity for the games against us.

Funny that there were so many red cards (including coaching staff) in these games last season, as I genuinely don’t think there was any particularly bad challenges/aggro at all in the games, just 2 teams that wanted to win.

Have to admit, I thought Airdrie might struggle this season, due to their defensive frailties last season, but they’re doing pretty well, so good on them for that. McCabe seems like a decent manager and clearly seems to get the best out of the group of players he has. As others have said, expect another close game, but I hope we can come home with the 3 points.

We’ve calmed down a bit this season, for better or worse. It’s probably a combination of not having enough quality going forward to score as freely as we did last season and McCabe realising that it’s a tough step up so adapting tactics slightly but we’re a lot more solid this season. That 4-3 game last season was possibly the last time he had a game changing naive moment actually. 

As others have said, I think he’s still a little bit away from getting a big job. I’m sure he’ll go onto have a very successful managerial career but it would be a bold move for a big club to appoint a 31 year old just now, even if he has done well so far. He’s had a fair amount of good press, and rightly so, but I can’t imagine too many fans of bigger clubs in Scotland would be delighted at appointing such a young manager who only had a decent if unspectacular playing career. It’s always tough knowing when the right time to move on is but he’s at a club where the support and board are fully behind him and he can get away with making mistakes and learning on the job, a bigger club wouldn’t be quite as forgiving.

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Even if Aberdeen got relegated going straight there from Airdrie is a pretty significant leap.

As mentioned, there are only a few Premiership sides I could see making a move for McCabe with Livi being the most likely IMO.

Livi would be a tough gig for anyone never mind a young manager. I know it's been said before but they do look like serious candidates for the drop this year and add in their small fanbase (probably less than Airdrie's), financial issues, (for the umpteenth time) then they have the hallmarks of a club that could quickly go in reverse.

I thought the team that finished against Arbroath performed better than ok. I acknowledge the fact that Arbroath aren’t doing too well right now, but I think the team that finished the last game will have enough about them to get something out this one. (Good job really, they are the only option we have) 

Bayview is usually freezing, even in the middle of summer. Inverness is pretty cold too. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed Airdrie being colder than other grounds - that being said, it will be freezing this weekend (but so would anywhere else in Scotland). 

The coldest I’ve ever been at a game was away at Stirling a few years ago and it wasn’t even a midweek.

Heavy snow was blowing directly into the faces of us all in the away end as we hung on for a draw against 10-man Stirling Albion… quite the pathetic fallacy for perhaps the club’s all-time nadir.