Inner monologue

Apparently only 30-50% of people regularly experience an inner monologue. I always assumed that everyone had this.

https://www.verywellmind.com/does-everyone-have-an-inner-monologue-6831748

Do YOU have an inner monologue? How often do you experience it?

I do experience an inner monologue daily, usually when I'm doing things like driving or writing out reports on placement. I sometimes speak back to it when I'm feeling brave. I don't know whose voice it is.

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Apparently only 30-50% of people regularly experience an inner monologue. I always assumed that everyone had this.

https://www.verywellmind.com/does-everyone-have-an-inner-monologue-6831748

Do YOU have an inner monologue? How often do you experience it?

I do experience an inner monologue daily, usually when I'm doing things like driving or writing out reports on placement. I sometimes speak back to it when I'm feeling brave. I don't know whose voice it is.

PLOT TWIST IDEA - what if your stupid rambles are being broadcast as someone else's inner monologue?

I always assumed that everyone experienced it with regularity and clarity. Then again, I was in my early 20’s before I realised that tinnitus also wasn’t something that everyone experienced with regularity, so I’m clearly a shit judge on these things.

Constant. It never fucking shuts up, to the extent I was medicated for it at one time just to get some peace.

When I was really unwell I was getting constant monologue, 24/7 earworm, AND hyper alertness to background noise all at the same fucking time. Felt like trepanning my own skull at points.

45 minutes ago, Clangers said:

Isn’t that just called thinking? I have always thought to myself as a way of thinking, surely that’s just normal?

This.

I'm perplexed that between 50% and 70% of people don't hear words in their head. How the f**k do they think?

In some instances, one’s inner voice may be descriptive and talkative, with self-talk that includes whole sentences and paragraphs, while at others it may only use a single word or fragments of a sentence.

Did these folk get their brains off Wish?

Edited by RawB93

38 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

I'm perplexed that between 50% and 70% of people don't hear words in their head. How the f**k do they think?

Me too, although it brings into question how animals think, given they don't have language.

Anyway, my inner monologue is refreshingly foul-mouthed and depraved.

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

In another that finds the concept of not having an inner monologue bizarre. Do people really just have silence in their head at all times? Can’t get my head round that at all. 

I had an argument with a girlfriend that was started by her asking “what i was thinking” and genuinely at that point in time, i had f**k all going through my head. This seemed to annoy her because in her words “you have to always be thinking something”
Having wife/kids means that i am constantly thinking about things and the inner monologue feels like it is constantly on the go. 

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

My inner monologue strangely usually sounds like Jez from Peep Show.

Can't be very helpful having a voice telling you to shag everything you interact with.