Home Security

Crawford

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

People with cameras advertise they have things they wish not to be stolen, therefor they need stolen.

People without cameras are the common man and would prefer not to be robbed and therefor aren't grassing bastirts/nosey bastirts with cameras and are for the most part left alone.

Think on.

This.

I'm not in the burgling game (anymore) but whenever I see a big house with several cameras and electric gates etc I just think - "what is it you're hiding in there? I bet I'd want it"

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

I do have a Blink camera at the back, but its just there to get footage of the foxes and squirrels messing about. 

I'm the same, I have a camera in the garden and it was bought to watch the wildlife. Any security benefit are purely coincidental. 

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

This.

I'm not in the burgling game (anymore) but whenever I see a big house with several cameras and electric gates etc I just think - "what is it you're hiding in there? I bet I'd want it"

We'll go up on Sunday and find out if you want. I can disable the gate nae bathir. 

Home security systems are only a deterrent to an amateur thief.

I personally have a house alarm and cameras installed. Those devices will trigger and notify me but if someone wants in why you are not at home they can be in and out very quickly and away sharpish. 

I’ve known robberies to take place with the owners in the house asleep. Or in some cases threatened. 

Professional burglaries will use all manner of tactics to circumvent what you think may happen protect you. 

If someone wants in and are desperate to steal they won’t give a shit what security you have. 

Just try to make sure you have some security. Don’t “advertise” stuff on social media. 

The police have some helpful advice here. 

https://www.scotland.police.uk/advice-and-information/your-home/your-house/#:~:text=Keep your home locked at,they can be easily found

In addition this police recommended site allows you to register items of value.

https://www.immobilise.com

Make sure your house insurance covers you and that you adhere to the policy as they can be robbing b*****ds too! 😂 

Hope this helps @Crawford

Most common form of break in these days tends to be either unlocked door/window or a kicking the door in. Having good locks, and using them, prevents both types. A good quality door with a proper deadbolt, a reinforced strike box and a reinforced jamb will withstand multiple kicks. As others have suggested, insurance is your best protection, if a professional wants in, he’ll get in. If an amateur wants in, you can deter them.

As a renter, I’m limited what I can do, so I elected a connected doorbell that allows me to know when someone enters or tries to enter…it’s a wee bit of peace of mind…but I don’t feel comfortable with internal, connected, cameras. When I owned a home, I purchased a wireless (professionally installed) system that added to the value of the property when sold, along with good locks. Much beyond that risks looking paranoid to one’s neightbours and, as noted above, makes people wonder what you’re protecting.

Used to live in the centre of Stirling where a couple of junkies refused to believe that this wasn't their dealers house and proceeded to kick the front door down. They were only deterred in the end by a half-naked 17 stone me literally screaming at them in the hall.

Since then, this lives behind the door (left by the grandkids Officer)

baseball.thumb.png.9fbd13504ffa0bc089b8c7c7cc01dc34.png

4 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Used to live in the centre of Stirling where a couple of junkies refused to believe that this wasn't their dealers house and proceeded to kick the front door down. They were only deterred in the end by a half-naked 17 stone me literally screaming at them in the hall.

If you ever had to use it you can guarantee the police would charge you for attacking any innocent little scumbag that broke into your house.

Someone kicking your door down to steal your stuff should be fair game for a hiding.

Righto. Thanks everyone for the advice and memes.

Paying for a full system for "peace of mind" when insurance does the same thing is pretty daft. 

If someone is determined enough it's going to happen and I can see how making it a fortress makes it seem a tastier target.

Going to leave it at insurance for me and a video doorbell for the Mrs.

Cheers folks.

At my first job some burglars got in and came across two doors side by side.  The one on the left was locked so they tried to smash it open.  A bit stupid.  The one on the right was unlocked and led into the same room as the one on the left.

8 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Major league baseball were planning to put a team in the Central Belt of Scotland because bat manufacturers alerted them to the sheer volume of baseball bats sold, it was only when they checked with the ball manufacturers on their sales that they called it off. 

13 hours ago, Fullerene said:

At my first job some burglars got in and came across two doors side by side.  The one on the left was locked so they tried to smash it open.  A bit stupid.  The one on the right was unlocked and led into the same room as the one on the left.

Did you work in Fawlty Towers?

On 08/12/2023 at 14:23, Crawford said:

Righto. Thanks everyone for the advice and memes.

Paying for a full system for "peace of mind" when insurance does the same thing is pretty daft. 

If someone is determined enough it's going to happen and I can see how making it a fortress makes it seem a tastier target.

Going to leave it at insurance for me and a video doorbell for the Mrs.

Cheers folks.

Get a mains powered or bell transformer powered one rather than battery model, quicker response. If you get the battery model, be ready for complaints from the Mrs.

Edited by TxRover

I've acquired a daschund after discovering shugs an attention whore and Shadows far too stupid to notice if the house was broken into.

I've also f**k all of value and figure if I'm out and ring doorbell tells me someone's in the house there is f**k all I can do about it.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

I've acquired a daschund after discovering shugs an attention whore and Shadows far too stupid to notice if the house was broken into.

I've also f**k all of value and figure if I'm out and ring doorbell tells me someone's in the house there is f**k all I can do about it.

You can at least know NOT to go home until to polis give it a once over.