The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

Week 20 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, Super Gran Gudrun Ure: Gudrun Ure obituary | Children's TV | The Guardian

Gudrun Ure, who has died aged 98, was 59 – and playing older than her years – when she landed the television role that finally made her famous after 40 years as an actor. She starred in the 1980s ITV children’s series Super Gran, as the happy, gentle elderly woman who finds, after a magic-ray machine is fired at her during a stroll in the park, that she has new special powers to help her defend residents of the fictional town of Chiselton from villains.

The daughter of Allan Ure, a draughtsman who owned an iron foundry, and his wife, Lily, Gudrun was born in Milton of Campsie, Stirlingshire (now East Dunbartonshire), and brought up in the Hyndland district of Glasgow, where she attended Laurel Bank school for girls. In her teens, she performed in Children’s Hour BBC radio productions from Scotland. “I was so small I used to have to stand on a dumpy – what used to be called a pouffe – to reach the microphone,” she recalled.

On leaving school, she worked as a teacher and toured with Bertha Waddell’s children’s theatre. Turning professional, she acted with repertory companies at the Citizens theatre, Glasgow, and Perth theatre. When the Glasgow company performed at the Gateway, Edinburgh, one critic declared of her performance in the title role of Lady Precious Stream that she “gave to her part the delicacy and charm which kept the play flowing smoothly”. Indeed, “charming” was a description often attributed to her on stage.

I think it's probably fair to say that for many posters, a part of their childhood has gone this week. What I can mainly say here is that she's the only person named Gudrun I've ever heard of.

Ure died at 98 so she's worth 27 Base Points for @badgerthewitness (we are checking), @tamthebam and @The Naitch.

==================

Second death this week is the writer Alice Munro: Alice Munro, Nobel winner and titan of the short story, dies aged 92 | Alice Munro | The Guardian

The Canadian short-story writer and Nobel prize winner Alice Munro, who examined everyday life through the lens of short fiction for more than 60 years, has died aged 92 at her care home in Ontario. She had suffered from dementia for more than a decade.

Once called “the Canadian Chekhov” by Cynthia Ozick, Munro’s body of work was founded on forms and subjects traditionally disregarded by the literary mainstream. It was only later in life that Munro’s reputation began to rise, her understated stories of apparently plain folks in undramatic, small-town Canada amassing a raft of international awards that included the 2013 Nobel prize in literature.

Margaret Atwood once called her “among the major writers of English fiction of our time.” Salman Rushdie praised her as “a master of the form” while Jonathan Franzen once wrote: “[Munro] is one of the handful of writers, some living, most dead, whom I have in mind when I say that fiction is my religion.”

Here's a funny picture from her Wikipedia page:

undefined

Somewhat similarly to Paul Auster the other week, I can say I've read one of her works and enjoyed it. The View From Castle Rock is a collection of short stories which effectively all go together to tell the story of her family's emigration from Fife to Canada in the 1800s. The title story is available online here: “The View from Castle Rock,” by Alice Munro | The New Yorker

Munro died at 92 so she's worth 33 Base Points for @ThomCat and, er, me. We get a Deadly Duo bonus for a total of 58 points.

After these, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 402
2. Billy Jean King 380
3. Moomintroll 346
4. psv_killie 335
5. Indale Winton, The DA 328
7. lolls 316
8. Forest_Fifer 297
9. sparky88 291
10. Ned Nederlander 282
11. lichtgilphead 279
12. The_Craig 254
13. choirbairn, The Naitch 240
15. pub car king 238
16. JustOneCornetto 225
17. blackislekillie 216
18. Arch Stanton 207
19. parxyz 206
20. cdhafc1874 204
21. Oystercatcher 198
22. Bully Wee Villa 194
23. weirdcal 191
24. Melanius Mullarkant 176
25. tamthebam 171

26. amnarab 169
27. El Guapo, mathematics 164

29. Salvo Montalbano 163
30. TxRover 157
31. alta-pete, Miguel Sanchez 156
33. ThomCat 152
34. Desp, peasy23 150
36. Raidernation 137
37. Savage Henry 134
38. Arbroathlegend36-0 126
39. Lofarl, qos_75 119
41. Arabdownunder 117

42. buddiepaul, chomp my root, scottsdad, Trogdor 113
46. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100
48. Craig fae the Vale 95

49. pawpar 90
50. invergowrie arab, Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 78
53. DG.Roma, Mark Connolly, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
58. ICTChris 74
59. D Angelo Barksdale 71

60. Florentine_Pogen 58
61. Aim Here, Darren 51

63. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
65. Enigma, LoonsYouthTeam 44
67. badgerthewitness 27
68. stanton 25

69. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

I dropped him from my team this year favouring the older Iranian statesman who didn't bother getting on the flight

1 hour ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Frank Ifield the Australian pop singer who had 4 UK No. 1 hits in the sixties has died aged 86

https://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-music-icon-frank-ifield-dies-aged-86-20240520-p5jf1d.html

A solo shot for @pawpar

Famous for his Scottish version of his song. 
I’ll remember you, ya b*****d.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Frank Ifield the Australian pop singer who had 4 UK No. 1 hits in the sixties has died aged 86

https://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-music-icon-frank-ifield-dies-aged-86-20240520-p5jf1d.html

A solo shot for @pawpar

I dismember you (as the mortician might say.)  Frank yodels off. Points please. Yodelehoo.  

UK obituary link - Frank Ifield: 1960s chart phenomenon dies aged 86 - BBC News 

Edited by pawpar
obit link

30 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Bit of a sad one personally. Many great memories of him and Lambie at the helm, decent bit about him here. 

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/gerry-collins/

A real character. That time he tried to disguise himself as a workie to get around a touchline ban always sticks in the memory.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

A real character. That time he tried to disguise himself as a workie to get around a touchline ban always sticks in the memory.

Haha that was a belter, I think someone posted that on the thistle thread actually, had forgotten all about. 

When people I actually saw play are popping off I feel a bit old. And just months after Adrian Sprott too. 

I remember having lots of Panini sticker doubles of him too. 

Here he is celebrating some obscure Scottish Cup win against a defunct team

collins.jpg.eb48238386d52c0bf5b025a7ed606afd.jpg