The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

2 hours ago, milton75 said:

Awful news, particularly at that age. Used to enjoy his bad chat on another local forum, back in the days when I was still youngish.

Aye, horrific stuff. Had some brilliant nights seeing him.

Edited by Fratelli

Week 41 update

Two deaths this week. First, Ethel Kennedy: Ethel Kennedy obituary | The Kennedys | The Guardian

Ethel Kennedy, who has died aged 96, was one of the most active and best-known US political wives of the 20th century. As her husband, Robert F Kennedy, campaigned first for the Senate and then for the presidency, she supported him while also bringing up their children. The 11th and last of them, her daughter Rory, was born after Bobby was assassinated in 1968. From the 1970s onwards, Ethel devoted herself to social causes and was latterly co-chair of the Coalition of Gun Control.

Her life had been touched by tragedy earlier, when her parents died in a plane crash in 1955. Her brother-in-law, President John F Kennedy, was assassinated in 1963. Two of her children died prematurely – David of a drug overdose at the age of 28 in 1984 and Michael in a skiing accident in 1997, when he was 39. Her husband was shot at the Ambassador hotel in Los Angeles following his victory in the California primary for the US presidential race.

Born in Chicago, Ethel was the sixth of seven children of Ann (nee Brannack), a devout Catholic, and George Skakel, who went from an $8 a week job as a railway clerk to selling coal and founding a company called Great Lakes Coal & Coke. When Ethel was five the family moved east, eventually settling in Connecticut, where she attended Greenwich academy. She became friends with Jean Kennedy, Bobby’s sister, while they were both studying at Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart in New York City. Meanwhile, Bobby – whom Ethel first met on a skiing trip in Quebec in 1945 – was dating Ethel’s sister, Patricia. When they broke up, Ethel began the partnership that would define her life.

Eleven weans. "The Kennedys" have generally been a bit lost on me. Obviously I know John F. Kennedy was shot in 1963, but reading about America historically and contemporaneously you see mentions of them every now and then and I never really understood why there always seemed to be one doing something. With eleven kids, now I know why. The most notably present Kennedy has brain worms, so any family legacy is probably long gone. 

Kennedy died at 96 so she's worth 29 Base Points. @Ash1990 and @The Hologram also get a Deadly Duo bonus giving them 54 points apiece.

============

Second death this week is former First Minister, Alex Salmond: Alex Salmond, former first minister of Scotland, dies aged 69 | Alex Salmond | The Guardian

Alex Salmond, the former first minister of Scotland who led Scotland to the brink of independence, has died at the age of 69.

Salmond served as first minister of Scotland from 2007. He stood down from the role after failing to secure independence in the 2014 referendum, handing over to his deputy, Nicola Sturgeon.

Reports suggested that he collapsed after delivering a speech in North Macedonia on Saturday.

Three people contributed to that article which appears to be a combination of bullet points from his Wikipedia page and a collection of tweets from relevant political figures. Since he only died yesterday and suddenly at that there's not much to share for meaningful obituaries.

Usually I have a bit more time to think about what I'm going to say about a death when I want to pontificate about it. The news breaking during yesterday's Scotland game was a bit surreal, but probably fitting that two great symbols of glorious failure should be so intrinsically linked. 

I'm conscious of being neutral here but I can only comment on my own life and experience. I am a supporter of Scottish independence. I remain a reluctant SNP voter to this end, although in the past few years this vote has largely been because I couldn't countenance any of the alternatives. For once the non-committal "whatever you think of him he was the most influential figure in Scottish politics for decades" is actually true. Salmond was the defining political figure in the country as I became able to vote, and it's arguable that for better or worse he, or his legacy, has remained as such since he resigned in 2014. As much as the SNP's popularity continued to grow from then under Sturgeon, I don't think that's comparable to what Salmond managed. The complete dearth of talent since is only made more evident looking at the state of British politics this decade.

I think what sets Salmond apart from everyone else in my lifetime is the way seemingly the entire Scottish population was suddenly engaged and interested in their country's affairs from 2007 to 2014. The rise of Yes polling, the unprecedented voter turnout for the referendum itself - I'm guessing here but 84.59% turnout is almost certainly more than any kind of vote here in living memory, and more than I can envision anything in my lifetime ever getting.

If 2014 was glorious failure, 2015 was just glorious. I don't know if the 2015 General Election thread is still here. I've gone looking but it doesn't seem to be. Staying up and watching failure after failure from Labour, Tories, Lib Dems, it was spectacular. If the thread is gone, I've at least been able to save this absolute classic from Mon Dieu:

f2mbN4Q.gif

Don't forget him strolling into Westminster

Alex Salmond: get rid of Westminster, turn it into a museum | The Herald

As Scotland was suddenly sending a near complete complement of MPs down south, it felt like the momentum was still there. Then came Brexit, another genny lex and it all started falling apart. As much as it became easier to be disillusioned with politics, any mention of Salmond post-2017 was just exasperating. Oh he's on Russia Today. Oh he's a sex pest or at least a giant creep. Oh now he's started a party of fringe lunatics who seem obsessed with other peoples' genitals. 

I'm certainly not qualified to talk about politics or make comparisons to political history but I think it's fair to say that there was virtually no possibility of Salmond going away quietly after resigning as First Minister, for better or worse. Despite his success and achievements he was never universally popular, so it'll be interesting to see what his legacy looks like ten years from now. 

Salmond died at 69 so he's worth 56 Base Points for @Deanburn Dave, who also gets a Solo Shot taking him to 106 points.

After those two hits the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 797
2. The Naitch 593
3. psv_killie 564
4. Billy Jean King 536
5. mozam76 528
6. lolls 514
7. Moomintroll 502
8. choirbairn 501
9. The_Craig 494
10. Indale Winton 484
11. JustOneCornetto 470
12. El Guapo 457
13. chomp my root 450
14. sparky88 447
15. The DA 436
16. pub car king 430
17. Savage Henry 415
18. Lofarl 407
19. mathematics, Melanius Mullarkay 404
21. TxRover 397
22. weirdcal 378
23. Forest_Fifer 369
24. Arch Stanton 363
25. buddiepaul, cdhafc1874 360
27. lichtgilphead 351
28. peasy23 348
29. Bully Wee Villa, Darren 347
31. Desp 342
32. sleazy 340
33. Arbroathlegend36-0 324
34. Arabdownunder 318
35. HI HAT, nessies long lost ghost 312
37. scottsdad 307
38. Aim Here 306
39. Oystercatcher 270
40. Mark Connolly 262
41. amnarab 258
42. Craig fae the Vale 251
43. Sweaty Morph 244
44.  Shotgun 231
45. Karpaty Lviv 225
46. LoonsYouthTeam 222
47. senorsoupe 219
48. Sergeant Wilson 218
49. blackislekillie 216
50. parxyz 206
51. Shipa 204
52. qos_75 203
53. gingette 187
54. invergowrie arab 186
55. pawpar 179
56. tamthebam 171
57. Molotov 170

58. 10menwent2mow, 101, Guy Incognito, throbber 168
62. Raidernation, Salvo Montalbano 163
64. Ray Patterson 162
65. DG.Roma 159
66. alta-pete, Miguel Sanchez 156
68. ThomCat 152
69. Trogdor 149
70. get_the_subbies_on, Polarbear, Scorge, The Master 144
74. Cheese 143
75. Florentine_Pogen 140
76. The Hologram 134
77. Enigma 128
78. Ash1990 126
79. Deanburn Dave 106

80. sophia 85
81. dagane 84
82. 19QOS19 81

83. GordonD, Suspect Device 76
85. ICTChris 74
86.  Bert Raccoon 72
87. Richey Edwards, superwell87 57

89. stanton 51
90. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
92. starksbark2 37
93. Eednud, HK HIbee, Les Cabbage, PWL 36
97. falkirktheinvincible 27

98. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez