Places in Scotland you've never been to

20 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I've never been to  Elgin or  Annan. What am I missing?

In Elgin's case a ruined abbey and one of my favourite football grounds

In Annan's case the chip shop where Burns wrote "The Deil',s awa with the Exciseman' and a small cinema.

This is since I let Google start tracking my location about five years ago. They were doing it anyway, and I liked their wee graphic. Working on colouring in the gaps!

Haven’t been on Skye in 15 years now. Next year I’ve got a wee trip to Skye and Raasay planned.

Have been to Shetland only once, for a work trip and all I saw was the taxi ride from airport to Lerwick.

The big gap is Barra up to Berneray. Been over only once on a day trip from Harris, and didn’t make it to Eriskay or Barra. Absolutely desperate to get to Barra. Had a trip cancelled due to lockdown. One day it will happen.

Going to Dalry tomorrow. That’s new!

IMG_9449.jpeg

8 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I've never been to  Elgin or  Annan. What am I missing?

In Elgin,some of the most bizarre statuary you're likely to see-theres a monstrosity in the centre called the dandylion which is too dreadful to describe.off a roundabout on the western side of the centre there a statue of a guy with a sword,turns out this is "the wolf of badenoch",a guy that burned Elgin to the ground(bravo,sir)in days of yore so they must have been pretty desperate for someone to represent in bronze;it'd be like Warsaw having a statue of Hitler 

Edited by highlandmac

22 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I agree. My wife wanted to go back to some of those places in the summer til I explained how the wee roads were full of twonks in camper vans who can't drive unless it's a freeway.

A shame, as you say it's beautiful up there (been pre marketing).

Alternatively,dip in&out of the NC500 by staying off the main route-use the coast road from lochInver to kylesku(any campers,caravans on that are in bother),the spectacular road from just north of scourie to lairg,the roads from lairg to either Bettyhill or Ben hope&head south from melvich to helmsdale;if it's not on the official route,chances are you'll get an experience similar to how things were before the tourist boards ruined the area

8 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is since I let Google start tracking my location about five years ago. They were doing it anyway, and I liked their wee graphic. Working on colouring in the gaps!

Haven’t been on Skye in 15 years now. Next year I’ve got a wee trip to Skye and Raasay planned.

Have been to Shetland only once, for a work trip and all I saw was the taxi ride from airport to Lerwick.

The big gap is Barra up to Berneray. Been over only once on a day trip from Harris, and didn’t make it to Eriskay or Barra. Absolutely desperate to get to Barra. Had a trip cancelled due to lockdown. One day it will happen.

Going to Dalry tomorrow. That’s new!

IMG_9449.jpeg

Sutherland cock and ball shaped!

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

Alternatively,dip in&out of the NC500 by staying off the main route-use the coast road from lochInver to kylesku(any campers,caravans on that are in bother),the spectacular road from just north of scourie to lairg,the roads from lairg to either Bettyhill or Ben hope&head south from melvich to helmsdale;if it's not on the official route,chances are you'll get an experience similar to how things were before the tourist boards ruined the area

Totally agree with this.  Near Tongue, there is a road up to Talmine, which is nice, Portvasgo maybe not.  Also, on the road around the loch, there are signs pointing out the local wildlife, the various mountains and the spot where John Lennon crashed his car.

Also, you are right, the Caithness by-pass is nicer heading from Melvich to Helmsdale although the other direction is okay as well.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Totally agree with this.  Near Tongue, there is a road up to Talmine, which is nice, Portvasgo maybe not.  Also, on the road around the loch, there are signs pointing out the local wildlife, the various mountains and the spot where John Lennon crashed his car.

Also, you are right, the Caithness by-pass is nicer heading from Melvich to Helmsdale although the other direction is okay as well.

The A9 from thurso south is good too,spectacular views across the flow country to mountains beyond.it means missing John o groats,no one's life will ever be bereft because of that