Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

Well, that was entertaining, would need to see 2 major incidents again, red card and penalty. Not convinced by either but I'm not the ref thankfully. Full credit to big Kev, as soon as he made the howler for the 4th he turned round to the home support and held up him hands to say sorry, we all make mistakes in our working life and full credit to the fans for backing him straight away.

Just a massive thank you to the Ayr manager for subbing the 2 players who were ripping us to shreds in the 2nd half.

Ayr are a bloody good footballing side and I always like my trips down to Somerset, may not be the prettiest ground in the league but it's certainly one of the more enjoyable.

Big well done to the fans who made their way through tonight, hope you all had a safe journey home.

Edited by keyser_soze

A genuine reflection on the game. 

Raith have a game plan that Ayr exploited tonight, which happens every quarter of the season that goes by, as luck would have it, it is happening at the same time Dundee United have been found out. the next month will be crucial for a lot of clubs while squads transition and it'll come down to what manager can adapt quick enough in the short term. 

We played Dundee United a couple of weeks ago and they threw the kitchen sink at us but only won 1-0, tonight, we took the game to Raith and had them rattled but still conceded four, which suggests to me that the league is still up for grabs, Both managers look settled based on previous results and like Bullen, when the results turn, struggle to adapt quickly. I can see Thistle and maybe another team getting in to the mix by quarter 4 unless the top two have an exceptional window. 

The beers (OK the ginger wine I won in a race night raffle cos the beers are done) are kicking in now, so memory going a wee bit.   Did Ayr score 4 from outside the box?  McGeady Dempsey and Rose I'm certain were but can't recall if Chalmers had cut into box 

16 minutes ago, Hursty said:

The beers (OK the ginger wine I won in a race night raffle cos the beers are done) are kicking in now, so memory going a wee bit.   Did Ayr score 4 from outside the box?  McGeady Dempsey and Rose I'm certain were but can't recall if Chalmers had cut into box 

Definitely in the box. Superb goal all the same.

2 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

That’ll be highlights I’ll skip as can’t watch that KD howler again, fluffed shot from 35 yards 🤢. He’s been immense but hopefully doesn’t damage his confidence. 

Lets not forget Big Kev coming out and stopping an open attacker from scoring...he's not perfect, but he had some good too.

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

I was talking to Raith fans in the penny before the game and one of the things I said was about how mental it is you have goalies in this league that are considered 'good' but every single one of them are at best abysmal from outside the box.  

After saying this I did not expect to witness what I did tonight :lol:

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Lets not forget Big Kev coming out and stopping an open attacker from scoring...he's not perfect, but he had some good too.

Yes you are right, that was a good save.  

41 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

Particularly enjoyed Ben Dempsey shushing the home support and all the wee lads rushing to give him the finger. 

I think a red is harsh for McGinty tbh with you. It’s a bad tackle and a booking but it’s not a red. 

Just a weird but good night at the fitba.  Good journey up, Penny Farthing was a really good laugh before the game.  

Spoiler

Did you know you can climb ladders into someone's garden from there?!?! :lol:

Raith were what I expected tonight, they'll like score goals but at no point will you be impressed by them.  The reason it'll be a 'fun' season and they'll still be kicking about with fuds like us next year is their absolutely shit goalkeeper.  The man lives for the patter allowing both Aiden McGeady and Ahkeem Rose to score banter goals.  He is equally able at making nice saves but if he's allowing two of the comedy players of the league to score long bangers it's obvious he's in that kinda Greg Fleming category of good but also very shit.  

Not seen highlights yet but I see the link above, my takes on the rest may be biased and wrong on this basis.  

I was more amazed than happy at the opener, that is literally the first competent contribution that McGeady has had since arriving, the other being a lovely pass away to Dundee orange but it was to our right back so went all wrong.  

The equaliser was obviously tough to take,  my memory is that Musonda took the ball away from Mutch and lost it with an empty net behind, highlights may tell me something else given it was at the other end but I'm certain Musonda has had a nightmare there.  

I went for a pee and missed the red card and the goal that put Raith up 2-1.  Nobody complained about the red card to me so I presume it's fair.  

At that point at half time I was a bit disappointed as I felt we had probably been the better team overall and at worst equal but we were a goal and man down, it seemed bleak.  

Second half was insane - I think a draw is totally fair with the entertainment served up by both but I'd say given we had a player less (at no point second half did it actually look like it though) it's very slightly disappointing not to win it because if you'd only arrived at half time you probably wouldn't have actually noticed er had a player less.  

Dempsey's goal probably poor to concede but nice to score, Chalmers one probably in the 'good goal, can't do too much there' category.  

Dempsey (I thought it was McKenzie but I'm told Dempsey) absolutely fucked it doing a slidey In the box, I'd said when I saw the ref there would be a penalty and a red (seems both justified this time though :lol:), but even if you win the ball, which I think he (kinda) did, you are asking for it.  Just make yourself big and believe in your goalie man.  At that point im thinking aw aye HWG late show. 

Then we make an insane double sub, literally bringing on bad football players for our best two.  Heed is gone at the Bald Gilet Man.  Then the terrible Rose finds some space, I'm literally groaning out loud "aw just shoot because it'll be better than watching you try to carry....HOLY f**k THIS GOALKEEPER IS ABSOLUTELY SHITE"

The equaliser is tough, I think if roles were reversed it would be the same, it's a nice attacking move and it's definitely not undeserved either, it's just one of those no nice fitba hings.  

First time I've felt £22 was absolutely value this season.  If it was pay on the way out I'd have probably given £40 to watch that. 

55 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Soap in the toilets.

No soap in the toilets but we did have a very important sign informing us that there is a hosepipe ban and we could risk 70 (!!!) years in jail for falling foul of it.  

PXL_20231222_194759125.jpg

This is clearly patter that someone has put together and I think it's brilliant.  But if anyone is on Glendough Road, dial 5 and let me know how we get on :lol:

Edited by itzdrk

It was a bad night at the office for Raith. Showed some character to get back in to it but we didn't show the same levels of quality as against Utd or the majority of the Thistle game.

It's hard to be too critical of players who have been exceptional recently but had an off night last night eg Byrne and Kev. Everyone at this level has a mistake or a bad game in them.

Ayr pressed us well and coming forward in the second half at points, you would have thought they had an extra player or two given how vulnerable we looked. 

We got away with the draw but I'd like to see Murray change things for Arbroath... maybe to a 4,2,3,1. I think Connolly deserves to come back in and offers the legs to get back and provide wide defensive cover when needed. Would be good to see Matthews get at least a cameo too.

3 points v Arbroath is crucial as we then have what are likely to be two very tough away games. 

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

I know Ayr fans will have similar thoughts about our goals but fucking hell the goals we lost were abysmal and even worse than I remember at the time.

First one Byrne loses possession in the Ayr half and we have zero midfield and McGeady runs in a straight line from his own half to the edge of our box to hit a relatively tame but well placed shot into the corner.

Second goal highlights that despite a fantastic effort over the last few months, Scott Brown isn’t a centre back. Dempsey gets the ball from a neat Dowds lay off and Brown just backs off into his own box with nobody near rather than closing down the shot. Questions on the midfield too obviously but Brown should close that down.

Third goal is probably the worst from an overall defensive point of view. Amartey picks the ball up with his back to goal with a Rovers players tight on him on the edge of his own box and another close by. He then manages to run from that position into our half beating 3/4 men in the process beating a particularly weak challenge on the half way line. It’s switched to Chalmers and Liam Dick tries to win it when he shouldn’t and is easily beat. Then Murray just backs off and tries to show him down the line I presume but forgets to actually close the angle of the shot down leaving him literally the entire goal to aim at. Fantastic goal from an Ayr perspective, awful from ours.

The last goal is what it is. Terrible error from Dabrowski. There is a wee bit of movement on the shot if we’re being kind but should still easily deal with it. Even then, we were in comfortable possession and gave it away very cheaply under no pressure leading to the shot.

Just a really bad day at the office. So many players who have been excellent for us this season having a bad night at the same time. Think we can all forgive the players that after their efforts this season so far though.

Credit to Vaughan, 3 goals and an assist, really bailed us out. Couple of great headers (albeit goalkeeping isn’t great). Pass for Stanton is lovely too. I’ve said it before but I think he’s very underrated this season, a lot of people I speak with still wouldn’t have him in our ‘strongest 11’ which I suppose shows the depth of the squad but he plays every week for me. Top scorer in the league now too.

As Murray said, hopefully we can learn the lessons and make the necessary improvements for Arbroath. I would definitely return to a 4-2-3-1 with Brown and Byrne holding but with Byrne apparently suspended we will likely be at least a week away from that being possible, Matthews can’t have any match fitness to be starting a game at this point.

Edited by R.R.FC

I just watched the highlights. Some great goals but some ropey defending and goalkeeping. First two goals from Rovers are lovely. Stanton’s control and finish for the first, then Millen’s great pass and Vaughan’s lovely header. If Stanton is injured that’s a shame cause he is having a stormer of a season.