Derek Adams interview

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I get that he's exaggerated a bit, but I do find the reaction here slightly funny.

We all know our league is shite. We moan about it all the time. 🤣

He's just said the quiet bit out loud and added a bit of colour.

I caught up with the Sportsound podcast on this. In the space of about ten seconds Tom English slags him off before himself confirming twice that our league is "a poor league". And it is. We all know that.

Maybe Adams really believes he was dealing with better players at Morecambe. Who knows? But I don't really hold any truck with this idea that people shouldn't talk down the league. Crowds are healthy, interest is good, and that's not a bad position from which to address the fact that most of what we watch is fucking dreadful and over-priced, and look at how to change things.

Doesn't mean he's not a c**t, but there's a hilarious level of hypocrisy in the responses here. How many match threads on here refer to how fucking pish the league is? Does anybody think there's a good team in the league this season? I've not seen one.

Not sure about this. There being a kernel of truth in what he says doesn’t justify making those comments. 

It was a point articulated terribly at the wrong time after he’s just been beaten. It wasn’t a serious contribution to the state of Scottish football. 

Went into a Derek Adams rabbit hole and just found out he changed Plymouth's strip because it was 'too green' and led to players passing too often into the stands because of the green seats. :lol:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-adams-admits-changed-plymouths-9983356

11 hours ago, Pilgrim Ranger said:

I've been watching lower league English football for 30+ years and have to say the standard is higher now than it's ever been. My team is now in the Championship for the first time in 13 years and I have to say the league has improved massively even though it was a good league last time we were there. Many of the players would easily have been good enough to play in the first division years ago but now with the Premiership being of such high quality they can't make the grade.

The 2 Glasgow giants would be at or near the top of the Championship but the 2 or 3 clubs behind them would be league one level. The bottom half of the Scottish Premiership is lower half league 2 level.

There are lot's of English lower league players who were surplus to requirements that go on to play regularly in the Scottish Premiership which obviously says something.

People can debate the league structure all they like but Scottish football won't get better until we produce better players again. What the hell has happened to player development and coaching in Scotland?!

There are just as many if not more players from the lower leagues that come here and absolutely tank (your Bartons, Butterfields, etc)

10 hours ago, Pilgrim Ranger said:

Every league can have bad games sometimes. I think Adams wasn't just ranting about 1 poor game but seemed to be commenting on general standard most weeks. Of course there are also some good matches in Scotland but overall it's fair to say the standard is dropping.

I blame VAR, personally.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The Netherlands has a population of nearly 18 million people - around 3.5x times greater than Scotland. There's no purpose in comparing the standard of the respective leagues and drawing any sort of lessons for Scottish football.

This thread's wider course confirms the need to hive off all the Hamish Husband weirdos into a separate, locked forum for 'contributions'. 

Netherlands has a greater genetic pool as well

4 hours ago, USSR Tycoon said:

Give it a rest. Malky is no longer a County employee so zip it. Your team manager has been known to physically asssault is own team mates on the field of play. Violent thug!

As opposed to your team manager who physically assaulted one of his own players? Violent thug!

Be careful with those stones you seem to have in your glass house. 

1 minute ago, K.T said:

He was shitting himself while saying all that stuff that’s for sure. You could hear the quiver in his voice.

Yeah, I'm not really buying this whole 'measured and calm' chat in his interview. He looked like he was a bawhair away from greeting...

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure about this. There being a kernel of truth in what he says doesn’t justify making those comments. 

It was a point articulated terribly at the wrong time after he’s just been beaten. It wasn’t a serious contribution to the state of Scottish football. 

Yep, I think that is fairly bang on. If he had sat down in a few weeks and made the point, a lot more people would have taken him on. However it is now seen as toys being chucked well and truly out the pram. 

However, most of us are acutely aware of how dross our game is. Due to locality I now watch a fair bit of Portsmouth, and I think they would have a field day with most sides outside the Old Firm. That is to be expected when they are flinging the best part of 4/5k a week on most players though. As usual that's what it comes down to, and due to the powers that be, it's not going to change anytime soon. 

I know I really shouldn't have bothered with this given it was purely an emotional tantrum from Derek Adams, but I looked in to the starting 11 of Ross County v Dundee at the weekend and was surprised to see who 8 of the 11's previous clubs were...

Nightingale -  Wimbledon

Baldwin - Bristol Rovers

Leak - Salford

Brown - Doncaster

Randall - Previously of Rochdale

Purrington - Charlton

Dhanda - Swansea

White - Spent time at Barrow and Wrexham

Edited by Pens_Dark

I found the interview to be hilarious and don't give a shit what Adams says about Scottish football. However, if I was a County fan, player or Roy McGregor I would most certainly take exception to him saying that his players are totally shite and no one should ever come back and watch them. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Went into a Derek Adams rabbit hole and just found out he changed Plymouth's strip because it was 'too green' and led to players passing too often into the stands because of the green seats. :lol:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-adams-admits-changed-plymouths-9983356

:lol: that's fucking brilliant mate. 

However Millar reckons if Adams was looking for a reaction from his players then his tirade could have the opposite affect. He added: “There is a way to conduct yourself as a manager and someone who’s is at the head of a premier league club.

If I was a player and I heard that you think you want to play for him? There’s things you say maybe in private rather than nationally slaughtering it.”

Chris Millar must just not like Adams either. 

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I know I really shouldn't have bothered with this given it was purely an emotional tantrum from Derek Adams, but I looked in to the starting 11 of Ross County v Dundee at the weekend and was surprised to see who 8 of the 11's previous clubs were...

Nightingale -  Wimbledon

Baldwin - Bristol Rovers

Leak - Salford

Brown - Doncaster

Randall - Previously of Rochdale

Purrington - Charlton

Dhanda - Swansea

White - Spent time at Barrow and Wrexham

To be fair, this tells us nothing.

It could be a bunch of boys County have SWOOPED in and tempted away from these clubs.

Or it could be a bunch of lads not deemed good enough by those clubs and forced to regroup in Scotland.

And let's be clear; English players do not dream of moving to Scotland. Certainly not to Ross County. Hardly any will even know where they play.

Edited by VincentGuerin

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

However Millar reckons if Adams was looking for a reaction from his players then his tirade could have the opposite affect. He added: “There is a way to conduct yourself as a manager and someone who’s is at the head of a premier league club.

If I was a player and I heard that you think you want to play for him? There’s things you say maybe in private rather than nationally slaughtering it.”

Chris Millar must just not like Adams either. 

Millar is bang on.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

To be fair, this tells us nothing.

It could be a bunch of boys County have SWOOPED in and tempted away from these clubs.

Or it could be a bunch of lads not deemed good enough by those clubs and forced to regroup in Scotland.

And let's be clear; English players do not dream of moving to Scotland.

It tells us that the players currently at Ross County were operating at a similar level, give or take, to the players he said were so far ahead of them at Morecambe. I actually think Ross County are a decent enough team for what it's worth. You can bet that Adams will be looking in a similar market come January. It might not tell us anything as I was taking his comments re Morecambe as being pretty flippant with him being emotional after a loss but if you are a player for Ross County and you see someone being signed from a similar team you're probably thinking wtf. 

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

It tells us that the players currently at Ross County were operating at a similar level, give or take, to the players he said were so far ahead of them at Morecambe. I actually think Ross County are a decent enough team for what it's worth. You can bet that Adams will be looking in a similar market come January. It might not tell us anything as I was taking his comments re Morecambe as being pretty flippant with him being emotional after a loss but if you are a player for Ross County and you see someone being signed from a similar team you're probably thinking wtf. 

It doesn't. In 2005 Hearts signed players from Benfica, Marseilles, Porto, and Inter Milan.

We were not operating on the same level as those clubs.

It may well be the case that those are lads deemed not up to scratch in the EFL. I'd argue that's more likely than Ross County getting in ahead of some of the bigger L1 clubs to pick these guys up.