Derek Adams interview

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Well Ross County fans who you'd expect know him best seem to be closer to my point of view. They are generally supportive of Adams and what he said, no?  I don't think I've seen a Ross County fan in this thread come to think of it, just opposition fans. 🤔

Apart from the post literally just above yours, and many others 😄

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Apart from the post literally just above yours, and many others 😄

They support Adams. I was referring to ones that are agreeing with the opposition fans. 🤫 That's interesting to me, the Ross County fans aren't bothered at all by what Adams said. Makes sense though as he's calling it out and being honest rather than just saying the usual crap.

Edited by 2426255

We'll see soon enough whether it has negative or positive effect. I think it could have an positive impact for County personally, but I could be wrong and maybe it will be a case of self sabotage - perfectly open to that possibility.

It's not miles of what Brendan Rodgers is saying about Celtic, he's really just saying in a softer way, less direct way that they need more quality. You could say that the players might take offence to that also, maybe they have, maybe they haven't. It's the same general complaint.

Edited by 2426255

This notion of an attempt to create a siege mentality is quite the most ludicrous thing.

You create one of those by saying to your players that the rest of the world hates them; you don't do it by saying you hate them too.

The idea that we'll find out whether it was a masterstroke or petulance by how they do in their next couple of games is also stupid.  A million factors will play parts in those games.

It was a spectacularly ignorant and arrogant outburst either way.

It depends upon the people. If all the players have a grievance against the manager it can create a sense of unity amongst the players, we'll show you etc etc and in that perspective it creates a siege mentality. Managers have used these kind of tricks, some well documented examples during half-time team talks to get reactions.

I think it has some merit and I've seen it used outside of football. It's maybe old fashioned, but from what I've heard about Adams that could fit.

Edited by 2426255

Looks like everyone's arguing with the numbers station, a contrarian troll account that seems to have escaped from the Tartan Army board after running out of bites.

Fire away if you fancy it, by all means, but be aware what you're getting yourselves into.

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It depends upon the people. If all the players have a grievance against the manager it can create a sense of unity amongst the players, we'll show you etc etc and in that perspective it creates a siege mentality. Managers have used these kind of tricks, some well documented examples during half-time team talks to get reactions.

I think it has some merit and I've seen it used outside of football. It's maybe old fashioned, but from what I've heard about Adams that could fit.

Worked well for John Hughes at Raith right enough.

16 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Worked well for John Hughes at Raith right enough.

It does have the possibility of bonding people together. If everyone agrees the manager is being unfair it creates common ground. It's up to how the players react. They can either take it and do something positive (perform better) or do something negative (down tools). Definitely unfashionable nowadays, but it's worked in the past and depending on the situation and personalities could work for Ross County.

That is an example of a Siege mentality, a shared feeling of victimization created by a manager criticising his players publicly. A little surprised people can't see that as we'll all have experienced it a little at our own individual workplaces.  I've first hand experience of this at my work and it bonded the staff together quite considerably amongst a diverse group. The managers were disliked and not really trusted, but the staff were all best mates and would go the extra mile for each other.

Edited by 2426255

My only actual reference to another league is Dutch football, but I'd comfortably say that the quality there is above and beyond Scottish football for the most part but there's crossover in the difference. That's mainly down to budgets though, the root of the issue is the TV deal that is about 10-15 years out of date in terms of actual value.

This year you've got PSV and Feyenoord that could correlate to your Celtic and Rangers, two teams that seem to be a cut above. Then you've got Ajax on an off season who in recent memory have made it to the semis of a UCL. Twente are having a decent season in 3rd but they'd probably comfortably handle a Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen as would AZ. 

The middle of that Eredivise is a weird one though, we beat Fortuna Sittard in a (friendly) cup final last winter while they could afford to have Burak Yilmaz up front that was probably comfortably on 10k+ p/w. Teams in that middle bit like Sparta Rotterdam, Heerenveen, Go Ahead Eagles, Nijmegen and Utrecht probably all slot comfortably into a top 6 European chasing side mould for the Premiership. Most of them, though, probably have clubs on double or triple what the likes of a Livi, St Johnstone or Ross County do.

Bottom end of it clubs like Volendam, Waalwijk and Almelo are bottom end Premiership clubs scrapping relegation. Volendam for example have Garang Kuol playing most weeks for them. Then again you have second tier Gronigen paying 6k+ p/w for Van Veen in the second tier and are sitting 9th (I'm aware it's not really worked for him but the budgets are the same regardless of position). Hilarious aside, that second division is called The Kitchen Champion division!

There's no real way to accurately predict how those teams would do but the budgets are a big part of the conversation, the quality of football is a lot higher than a lot of the stuff served up weekly here though. That may be influenced by me watching Livi 'play' football though.

After finally getting over Fergie knocking my other team off their effing perch, it would be churlish of me not to acknowledge how smart he was. 

These very pages have revealed that many of us have watched some pure dross, South of the border.  I view any comments, including Derek's, through the filter that I have wasted my cash to attend some really poor games.   The model for the English "product" makes it difficult for someone to deviate from the narrative that all the football is a premium offering.  I just accept that and enjoy Scottish football on its own merits. 

I said to my Scottish mate, who gets the EPL in his earhole all the time, that I thought that Rangers picking their Champions' League game against Liverpool to have an absolute shocker was, unfortunately, a massive PR disaster for the SPFL.  On the other hand, if you caught the Raith vs Jags game on BBC Scotland the other Friday, could you argue with the pure entertainment on offer in the Scottish  Championship? 

As for the relative merits of the players being produced, someone mentioned pass and move.  For me, it never goes out of style.  John McGinn is showing Scottish footballers know how to do it.

I'm marveling at the line you can draw between Ross County fans who are mostly alright with Derek Adams comments and everyone else who is on the defensive about Scottish football, calling him a lunatic, taking it personally and having a general heads gone.

For now I've settled on him saying it for effect and he's probably having a laugh over the overall response with Roy MacGregor.

Edited by 2426255

Media portrays these interviews like an honest chat between a pair of friends, the reporter and the manager, which we the audience are getting access to. That's not what they are, though. The manager owes the media company nothing. They're not obliged to give an honest assessment of the match or even to give relevant answers to the questions. I assume most managers are always using these interviews to communicate a message to either their own players or to their own club's fans. I doubt Adams here was actually trying to contribute something to a wider discussion about the standard of the Scottish Premiership because he won't give a shit about that. When deciding what to say, his sole consideration would've been the potential impact his words will have on his interests as Ross County manager. Maybe it was some sort of motivational attempt or maybe it was to create a distraction from a disappointing home defeat, something along these lines.

Adams is correct, our game is a disgrace, run by corrupt charlatans, a poor product, 

Little wonder our sponsorship and television deals are so poor, 

League sponsor ending deal two years early tells you how much value they place on our game,

Until the fans , stop going en masse, and tell the clubs that we want better it's never going to change.

The football we get , we deserve 

1 minute ago, Willie adie said:

Adams is correct, our game is a disgrace, run by corrupt charlatans, a poor product, 

Little wonder our sponsorship and television deals are so poor, 

League sponsor ending deal two years early tells you how much value they place on our game,

Until the fans , stop going en masse, and tell the clubs that we want better it's never going to change.

The football we get , we deserve 

Someone's mad they didn't get a penalty today

Haven't read all of this thread but to put my piece in...

Yes, he might be correct the standard is pretty poor for the most part. That isn't for him to comment, that is for the paying customer. He's part of the problem and he's certainly not the solution. Fair enough if it was Pep Guardiola saying it. 

I see it as a total defence mechanism for him to feel better for coming out of the wrong end of a result and an emotional outburst. 

As for his Morecambe comments, it's not even worth discussing.

If it is that much of a problem for him I don't think anyone in Scottish football would shed a tear for him fucking off to Forest Green Rovers or something.

Edited by Pens_Dark

A man with a long history of being an absolute cock behaving in just  that manner. Who would have guessed it. Utterly pathetic. I may be wrong here but was part of the issue when he previously lost his job at County not that he alienated players and fans alike by similar utterances. Either way he’s a kunt.  

5 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

If it is that much of a problem for him I don't think anyone in Scottish football would shed a tear for him fucking off to Forest Green Rovers or something.

The ideal destination for him. His post match interview after a dreadful defeat at home to the Galacticos of Sutton United would likely be to complain that the standard was worse than Nairn County and that the burgers at Nairn at least had real meat in them.