Derek Adams interview

9 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Because it's a great, entertaining league that produces great, entertaining games

Interesting point nonetheless.

Despite it costing more in real terms that it ever did, and the state of the economy, more fans are paying for it than almost ever before.

Last season more fans paid to watch Hearts than anytime since 1960-61... for Hibs the last 4 seasons with full crowds are their best since 1957-58.

More people shelled-out to watch Aberdeen under Jim Goodwin or Barry Robson, than the campaign Alex Ferguson led them victory in the European Cup-Winners' Cup... Dundee Utd literally got themselves relegated, and lacked any Dundee derbies, but still posted their best crowds since 1980s.

We're loving it.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting point nonetheless.

Despite it costing more in real terms that it ever did, and the state of the economy, more fans are paying for it than almost ever before.

Last season more fans paid to watch Hearts than anytime since 1960-61... for Hibs the last 4 seasons with full crowds are their best since 1957-58.

More people shelled-out to watch Aberdeen under Jim Goodwin or Barry Robson, than the campaign Alex Ferguson led them victory in the European Cup-Winners' Cup... Dundee Utd literally got themselves relegated, and lacked any Dundee derbies, but still posted their best crowds since 1980s.

We're loving it.

Vive la Cinch!

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Back in the 2000s Hearts beat the likes of Braga and Basel in Europe, as well as getting a win in Bordeaux, and having close-run ties with the likes of Stuttgart and Mallorca. Aberdeen got to the last 32 of the UEFA Cup. Our teams were generally stronger, and competitive to a level. Now we're a good bit off that level, and I'd simply disagree with you that it's improved since then.

Aberdeen's group stage performance this season wasn't really all that different to their performance in 2007/08. In 2007/08 they got through by finishing 3rd in a 5 team group - they lost both away games against Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid, drew with Lokomotiv Moscow and beat Copenhagen.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Aberdeen's group stage performance this season wasn't really all that different to their performance in 2007/08. In 2007/08 they got through by finishing 3rd in a 5 team group - they lost both away games against Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid, drew with Lokomotiv Moscow and beat Copenhagen.

They beat Copenhagen 4-0 to qualify, who could still have gone through themselves. Aberdeen leapfrogged them by beating them.

A bit different to winning essentially a friendly against Eintracht.

You may think that's the same. I disagree. And their result against Dnipro to get there was a good one. Overall, it was a significantly better performance than this year with failure against Hakken and Helsinki, and their only win being a friendly.

I'm a manager at work*. If one of my staff members is not doing the job the policy is for the manager to give them 6 months of intensive training to improve. 

I hope to see Ross County players play like Brazil 1970 by the end of the season. If not then Adams should be put in a wicker man and burnt. 

*hard to believe, I know, but it's true. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The idea that Scottish teams are playing some kind of well drilled pressing game is laughable. In 34 European matches this season Scottish clubs kept 2 clean sheets and conceded 68 goals.

There is barely a team in the league that can hold a straight back line so don't talk about effective coaching.  Are you honestly saying today's Ross County or St Johnstone are "more athletic and physically intensive" than McLean's Dundee Utd? 

These days most players need an age to bring the ball under control.  And this whole idea that football is 'faster, quicker, stronger' in modern times is utter guff.  Football used to be a running game, now it's about possession and passing.  If anything it's slower.  

One of the very worst things I see every week in Scottish football is players taking AN ABSOLUTE AGE to make a decision on the ball. There is no quick pass and move, no running into positions, making space. So many players just don't bother their backside off the ball. The lack of movement off the ball absolutely stinks. It's wind up robot football from players than have the absolute bare minimum technical ability and hardly any professional pride.  It's a gig for them.

And by the way, you talk about pressing?  Back in the day they didn't press, they went straight through you.  Fucking bang.  There was no standing about with the ball wondering what to do back then.  

I think you’re needing to find a new hobby pal. 

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'm a manager at work*. If one of my staff members is not doing the job the policy is for the manager to give them 6 months of intensive training to improve. 

I hope to see Ross County players play like Brazil 1970 by the end of the season. Adams should be put in a wicker man and burnt. 

*hard to believe, I know, but it's true. 

FTFY

5 hours ago, MarkPockets said:

Roy wanted a "Fergie like" character and that's what Adams is. Makes it us against the world. He'll build a siege mentality. He's getting exactly what he wanted from what he said

That only works if you don't completely badmouth your own workforce. 

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't know him well enough - but that's what I suspect.

That's pretty evident. 

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously not going to happen with Adams & Ross County, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think a few Premiership managers would be sacked on the spot if they made similar comments.

This. He's basically telling fans not to bother turning up. If I was to go on social media and tell folk not to use my employers services then I doubt I'd be in a job too much longer. 

I'd also be fizzing if our manager came out with that kind of pish. Roy maybe doesn't care as he has a big pot of money, I suppose. 

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't know if he believes that or not. I'm saying he was saying it for effect and whether he believes it or not isn't material. Why? because I think it's a ploy. A distraction from a shit performance or as others have said to build a siege mentality to jolt the players into performing.

Loads of managers have done this kind of thing to motivate their players. I'd say it would be more outlandish if he believed those comments than if he was saying them for effect. That's my point - some people think he was being sincere, I think he was playing a game.

You're giving him too much credit. The guy is just a complete w**k. As I said above, I don't think the best way to motivate your players is to come out and call them shite. 

The guy certainly seems to have some kind of Messiah complex. Badmouthing the standard when you have a 39% win rate yourself. Fanny. 

So many managers try to follow the Ferguson mantra of building a siege mentality. The vast majority of them fail and end up being laughed at by the wider public as they come across like a complete clown.

Derek Adams falls, quite easily, into that clownshoes category.

Unfortunately, as much as his post game,  emotionally charged, wee moan was a bit of an exaggeration, sadly I have to agree with much of it. 

Scottish football is in a sorry state. It's a really poor product. 

A top league of 12 is pathetic. Outside 4 or 5, the rest are avoiding relegation  and its battle of the diddies to see who gets relegated and who stays up, meaning they are all petrified to play football that is interesting to watch.

No-one knows absolutely why Adams said what he did, it's just guessing myself included. Time will tell, not a lot of time - by New Year it will be clear if the players are still playing for him. If they are then perhaps there's a bit more than him just being "a w**k".

A lot of fans from other teams on here who obviously have a long standing historical gripes with Adams.  No decent counter arguments to the idea that he did it intentionally instead of reactionary.

Edited by 2426255

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No-one knows absolutely why Adams said what he did, it's just guessing myself included. Time will tell, not a lot of time - by New Year it will be clear if the players are still playing for him. If they are then perhaps there's a bit more than him just being "a w**k".

A lot of fans from other teams on here who obviously have a long standing historical gripes with Adams.  No decent counter arguments to the idea that he did it intentionally instead of reactionary.

Find me any instance where a manager has called his players shite and they've gone on to do well for him. The "siege mentality" argument doesn't work if he's bad-mouthing his own players into the bargain. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Find me any instance where a manager has called his players shite and they've gone on to do well for him. The "siege mentality" argument doesn't work if he's bad-mouthing his own players into the bargain. 

Sir Alex did it once after that cup final and basically never did it again because it didn't work and he felt like shite about doing it.

3 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Sometimes the players deserve it. Stop treating them like they are delicate little flowers and you have to protect their precious feelings.

Do it behind closed doors though. I dont think humiliating them publicly is a clever strategy. 

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Another manager in the top flight tried it and lost his job the next day. It’ll never work.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well, we'll see come New Year. It would be unreasonable to expect Adams has self sabotaged his career before it's even started so he has maybe told the players something we aren't aware of privately that would help create that mentality or it's to find out who are the good characters in the team ahead of  getting replacements in January. 

It's easy to just say he's a w**k (opposition fans). I think it's better to give him the benefit of the doubt, look at why he's said that and see how it plays out. He wasn't foaming at the mouth (see Levein, Rangers), he was pretty calm and controlled.

Edited by 2426255