Derek Adams interview

44 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It depends.

The problem with comparisons with the English leagues is that their divisions are so big and varied, that labelling any of our teams of any certain level doesn't really work.

It's not a mad idea that the current Morecambe team is better than Ross County. They might be. I'd imagine in terms of budgets there won't be much in it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the better sides in England's League Two knocked a lower-end SPFL Premiership team out of an imaginary British Cup.

The EFL divisions are a hugely mixed bag, and it's also a different kind of football. Physical in a different way, with loads of teams that play identically.

It's one of these things you can argue either way, but it's not insane to say Morecambe are better. I mean, Ross COunty are, no offence, fucking pish.

Yeah, though Morecambe's last two managers couldn't get out the door fast enough as soon as traditionally bottom to mid table Scottish Premiership clubs came calling. I'm not sure about budgets, wages, etc, possibly never know, but both Robinson and Adams saw these jobs as far more attractive than sticking around down there.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I thought it was brilliant. Not sure if he was serious or not, but it made me laugh. Docherty's response was also funny. 😂 You could argue for or against, but I tend to side with the view that he was emotional or he was trying to jolt his players/distract. I think maybe the game in itself was worse than some League 2 games, but that would be as far as I'd take it.

What did Docherty say? 

I heard Adams rant live on radio at the time. Very much a manager hurting at getting beat by a last minute goal. But that happens every weekend all over the world without the mad heads gone he showed. 

He came across as somebody who regrets coming back to scottish football and wants a return to England. Will be interesting to see Ross County's next few results and performances and whether he's already lost the dressing room. Any player thinking of joining Ross County in January will be questioning if he's a manager they want to work for. 

Forgot to say he has always been a fanny, some things have never changed 

Edited by FK1Bairn

6 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I think the average English team will have the physicality and be more skilful 

I would add, at this juncture, that I occasionally watch League One or Two games from England, and there’s almost always some ex-SPFL jobber playing.

I mean, Derby County are one of the biggest clubs st that level and have a strikeforce of Martyn Waghorn and James Collins (aye, that one). 

Derek Adams teams have been the better team in every game he's ever managed. Such an obvious smoke screen as his expensively built team lost, surprised hes gone so early.

He's not wrong though, league is as bad as its been for a while even Celtic & Rangers are a bit shit.

Edited by Steve McQueen

Well he’ll not only get one reaction. He’ll get two. One from his team, which will go one of two ways. Either it will galvanise them into playing better, or the more likely outcome is that they’ll think he’s a massive p***k and can go f**k himself. Comparisons with Fergie and Man Utd are hilarious. 🤣 Fergie’s Man Utd team were up to a siege. Ross Co are not. 
The other reaction he’ll get is the one from every other team in the league. I hope every team puts in that extra little bit of effort to spank them.

The guy is an arrogant arsehole and no mistake. Ross Co is a team I’ve never been one way or another about. However as long as this tool is in charge of them, I hope they get gubbed every week. 

25 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Now you're getting the idea. He's said it for a reaction. Why is that not obvious? How are people getting taken in by this? 😂 Is it distraction or to build a siege mentality, not sure personally. If you take his comments literally you're barking up the wrong tree imo.

Youre giving him far too much credit, IMO.

Hes got history of throwing hissy fits and theres every chance he now just randomly freezes players out who played yesterday.

He'll likely negotiate pay offs for about 4 of them in January too when County start their spending spree. 

32 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, though Morecambe's last two managers couldn't get out the door fast enough as soon as traditionally bottom to mid table Scottish Premiership clubs came calling. I'm not sure about budgets, wages, etc, possibly never know, but both Robinson and Adams saw these jobs as far more attractive than sticking around down there.

I haven't crunched the numbers on this, but I think I'm right in saying the average EFL tenure is now less than 18 months. I can see a rationale for a coach moving on when their stock is high and there's a new job on the table. Especially from L1 and L2. There are so many coaches down there that it's hard to stand out, and neither of the people you mention are hugely high-profile in England and both have extensive links to Scotland. It's not a huge shock that either of them would move here, given the chance to leave a small L2 club.

I'm not sure you'd see a more upwardly-mobile coach leaving an L1 or L2 side to come here. Maybe to one of th bigger city clubs, as they may see it as a career move, but I don't see it as likely that an upward-looking coach there with no links to Scotland would be leaving a job like that to go to Ross County or St Mirren. Not if they had the option to stay down south. Most coaches I can think of who have come up to jobs like that either are Scottish, have links here, or are unemployed and looking to rebuild. Maybe Mickey Mellon had prospects down south, but even he had just been relegated with Tranmere. (and I forgot he's also fucking Scottish 🤣)

ETA: I'm not disputing the views on Adams himself on this thread.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Derek Adams is a fanny. 

unfortunately, he's also correct. 

I don't think he actually meant Morecombe are literally 100 x better, he's simply emphasising how drastically bad the standard is up here right now and he's right.

Graham Alexander said much the same about the quality of our squad and how he was limited to playing a certain style of football because of it, albeit much more diplomatically.  

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youre giving him far too much credit, IMO.

Hes got history of throwing hissy fits and theres every chance he now just randomly freezes players out who played yesterday.

He'll likely negotiate pay offs for about 4 of them in January too when County start their spending spree. 

Well, let's see how it all plays out then, that's all we can do really. We've stated our opinions and it shouldn't be too difficult to tell  with time whether it was a ploy or a hissy fit. I don't know Adams character as I've never followed him, Ross County or his ventures down south so you may have the advantage over me in that sense and he's just a loose cannon.

Edited by 2426255

28 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

it shouldn't be too difficult to tell  with time whether it was a ploy or a hissy fit. 

Probably will be tbh, as he'll likely get results until the end of the season and youll attribute that to this interview.

It wouldnt take you much research to discover hes a good manager, but an absolute walloper who falls out with almost everyone eventually and is incredibly emotional on the touchline. Im fairly sure he got hit with an 18 game touchline ban before because he couldnt control his emotions during a match and hes also refused to speak to the media after matches during losing runs etc.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Derek Adams teams have been the better team in every game he's ever managed. Such an obvious smoke screen as his expensively built team lost, surprised hes gone so early.

He's not wrong though, league is as bad as its been for a while even Celtic & Rangers are a bit shit.

Aberdeen were decent, if unlucky, in the conference, competed in every game, rangers finished top of their group, celtic beat Feyenoord. So it can't be that bad......

It's such an easy option to slate scottish football at times. If it's so bad why is the messiah back here getting beat most weeks? 

The Premiership contains clubs of the same rough size as the top six divisions in England, because we're a much smaller country. Ross County are very much at the National League North level of Scottish clubs, so Adams' wee tantrum has nothing to do with the quality of players he's coaching - this is a man with a failed career in football management who's bitter that it hasn't worked out for him, and that the level he's found isn't what he imagined for himself.

Maybe he'll finally get the idea and understand that he's managing Ross County again because he hasn't shown the ability to do anything else, but he's bound to have some kind of "bringing the game/club into disrepute" clause in his contract, so he should definitely be grateful that it hasn't been invoked. That would require self-awareness and humility, however.