Derek Adams interview

6 minutes ago, Peil said:

I showed his post match chat to my missus, a yank. She knows heehaw about fitba.

Her take on it was he's a loon who just slated his own players, the club who pay him, the fans who turn up to watch, and the whole game.

He did it because he's a loon? 🤔 Well, maybe that's the actual answer. Still going to give him the benefit of the doubt myself and see how the County team reacts.

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He did it because he's a loon? 🤔 Well, maybe that's the actual answer. Still going to give him the benefit of the doubt myself and see how the County team reacts.

well it makes as much sense as your opinion that anyone who thinks it was as big a heads gone as anything we've had in a few years is obviously an opposition fan with an axe to grind.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Find me any instance where a manager has called his players shite and they've gone on to do well for him. The "siege mentality" argument doesn't work if he's bad-mouthing his own players into the bargain. 

I always thought the way to create a siege mentality was telling your own players everyone was against them, making them believe it so they'd try harder. His version is to slag off the whole league to give every team a reason to up their game to get it up him and Ross County, while giving his own players a reason to not try their best for him because he's said they're also shite. 

39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

"I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if it was an isolated incident but I've known Adams and his shite for quite some time. You've already admitted to not knowing much about him so I think the folk slating him maybe know him a wee bit better, no?" 

You're not objective. Given the context, how quick you are to dismiss the idea he's doing it for a reason other than being a fud tells me that. Your bias is coloring your view. You aren't open to alternative explanations, you've made your mind up in advance.

I'm dismissing the idea of it being anything other than him being a fud because I've yet to hear a legitimate alternative explanation. The only thing I've read is him trying to build a siege mentality; which is absolute nonsense given he's slated his own players. You have to see how daft that suggestion is given his words, surely? 

Give me a decent alternative and I'll maybe consider it. As it stands, given his history and what I've heard him say in that interview I'm comfy with my assessment that he's a fud. 

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Give me a decent alternative and I'll maybe consider it. 

• He could have done it to motivate his players, give them a jolt and let them know they need to up their standards.
  • He could have done it to test their character ahead of the January transfer window, see who are the bad eggs.
  • He could be doing it to shift the focus away from the players and onto himself after a shoddy performance which it's definitely done. This thread and all the social media is testament to that.
  • He could have told the players something different and believable privately or maybe he told them the same privately before he spoke publicly so they know in no uncertain terms they need to improve if they want to play for him.
  • He could have done it for the benefit of the fanbase, fans like that kind of honesty. Calling things out and feeling like County want to do better and aren't making excuses or settling.
Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

He could have done it to motivate his players, give them a jolt. He could have done it to test their character ahead of the January transfer window, see who are the bad eggs. He could be doing it to shift the focus away from the players and onto himself after a shoddy performance. He could have told the players something different and believable privately.

Or he could just be a torn-faced arrogant fud. 

Just now, virginton said:

Or he could just be a torn-faced arrogant fud. 

Yes, could be that too. I just haven't made my mind up. I want to see how the County team react in their next games as that will be telling. What if they win? 

Just now, 2426255 said:

He could have done it to motivate his players, give them a jolt. He could have done it to test their character ahead of the January transfer window, see who are the bad eggs. He could be doing it to shift the focus away from the players and onto himself after a shoddy performance. He could have told the players something different and believable privately.

Not one of those things make sense to me.

- My manager coming out publicly and saying I'm shite at my job certainly wouldn't motivate me. 

- Testing their character? I think the only players who'd 'run through a brick wall' for him after that would be complete arse-kisses. Maybe that's the kind of player he wants, I suppose. 

- It's not shifting the focus away from the players. We're talking about the interview aye, but I think he looks sincere with his assessment. It's a humiliating interview for the players. 

- Similar to point 2 really: "Right lads, I'm going to go out there and say you're all shite. That ok?". Can't see anyone with any backbone agreeing to that tbh. 

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not one of those things make sense to me.

- My manager coming out publicly and saying I'm shite at my job certainly wouldn't motivate me. 

- Testing their character? I think the only players who'd 'run through a brick wall' for him after that would be complete arse-kisses. Maybe that's the kind of player he wants, I suppose. 

- It's not shifting the focus away from the players. We're talking about the interview aye, but I think he looks sincere with his assessment. It's a humiliating interview for the players. 

- Similar to point 2 really: "Right lads, I'm going to go out there and say you're all shite. That ok?". Can't see anyone with any backbone agreeing to that tbh. 

Well fine. I'm not really expecting to be able to come up with something that you're going to accept anyway as you have a preset bias. More for others to consider. I guess we'll have more info in the next few weeks. Have a good one.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

No decent counter arguments to the idea that he did it intentionally instead of reactionary.

Because theres multiple examples of him reacting similarly during or after matches. Theres a raft of ex-players on social media who've responded to his comments calling him out for his behaviour in the past too. Hes literally punched players in the past after games because hes so bad at controlling his emotions.

This is the most bizarre of hills for you to die on.

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Exactly, he's experienced. He's not a rookie (see Steven MacLean) so again it make you wonder if he's done it deliberately. Maybe its not for motivation, maybe it's just to distract from a shit performance or maybe he did just lose the plot and couldn't control his anger, but we won't know for sure right now - give it a couple of weeks.

You have to also consider a possibility where Ross County perform well in their upcoming games and account for that. That's all I'm saying.

I think you give Adams far too much credit as a person and a manager. Frankly he is a failed manager as evidenced that he is right back where he started, despite the experience he has accumulated. Not to mention, that his outburst is an own goal in that it is an admission he isn't that knowledgeable about Football. For a guy who's job is in football, if the league is as bad as he says and he is surprised, then clearly he hasn't been doing his homework. Throw in that he left a massive club in Morecambe to go to county....

Even if (and being very generous to him) he has genuinely been surprised by the quality and Morecambe are that far ahead, then why would you even say that?  We have all probably worked with that person who comes in from x company and continually bangs on about how better their old job was.... never ever ends well. 

Christ, does no-one remember what the first rule of "Adams in the Press" is?  ALWAYS take everything with a huge pinch of salt.  Like the qty of salt needed to melt the iceberg that sunk the Titanic...like, more salt than is in the Dead Sea.  (In other words.....the same amount of salt that's in a standard Derek Adams post match interview)  The fact he's been here less than 2 months and has already got most of Scottish football worked up over him is quite funny (and frankly after Malky I need this entertainment...because f**k all is happening on the pitch)

Personally, there is an element of truth in what he said, epically about the poor standard at County at the moment.  The standard of football in the premiership is not great either, but going as far as saying Morecambe are 100 times better is a bit much though.

As for trying to send a message to our team as some have suggested, I think it needs to be done.  County are far too timid/soft at the moment and there is no fight in that team.  I keep thinkg back to when Loturi got chucked over the shoulder at St Johnstone and the only thing any County player did to defend him was go "But that's not fair" in a whinny voice to the ref.....rather than rush over and square up to the player who just ragdolled their teammate (f**k....starting to sound like Roy Keane here)

2 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Christ, does no-one remember what the first rule of "Adams in the Press" is?  ALWAYS take everything with a huge pinch of salt.  Like the qty of salt needed to melt the iceberg that sunk the Titanic...like, more salt than is in the Dead Sea.  (In other words.....the same amount of salt that's in a standard Derek Adams post match interview)  The fact he's been here less than 2 months and has already got most of Scottish football worked up over him is quite funny (and frankly after Malky I need this entertainment...because f**k all is happening on the pitch)

Personally, there is an element of truth in what he said, epically about the poor standard at County at the moment.  The standard of football in the premiership is not great either, but going as far as saying Morecambe are 100 times better is a bit much though.

As for trying to send a message to our team as some have suggested, I think it needs to be done.  County are far too timid/soft at the moment and there is no fight in that team.  I keep thinkg back to when Loturi got chucked over the shoulder at St Johnstone and the only thing any County player did to defend him was go "But that's not fair" in a whinny voice to the ref.....rather than rush over and square up to the player who just ragdolled their teammate (f**k....starting to sound like Roy Keane here)

That was one of the most inexplicable and bizarre moments I've ever seen at McDiarmid, I'm laughing now just thinking about it

44 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, could be that too. I just haven't made my mind up. I want to see how the County team react in their next games as that will be telling. What if they win? 

Derek Adams has been a manager or assistant manager in Scotland for the best part of eight years. Scottish football fans are very aware of him and the way he conducts himself. You're acting as if this interview is the first anyone has ever heard from him. It's really strange. 

Just now, GorbalsMags said:

That was one of the most inexplicable and bizarre moments I've ever seen at McDiarmid, I'm laughing now just thinking about it

I still don't know how that wasn't a red card for Robinson....I'm pretty sure a Judo throw falls under dangerous play. (it was, however, very funny)

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Derek Adams has been a manager or assistant manager in Scotland for the best part of eight years. Scottish football fans are very aware of him and the way he conducts himself. You're acting as if this interview is the first anyone has ever heard from him. It's really strange. 

Well Ross County fans who you'd expect know him best seem to be closer to my point of view. They are generally supportive of Adams and what he said, no?  I don't think I've seen a Ross County fan in this thread come to think of it, just opposition fans. 🤔

Edited by 2426255