Derek Adams interview

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, he said that - but he was exaggerating and that's the point. Why he said it is more interesting to me. Does he actually believe it? 

So you're saying that he is exaggerating something he doesn't believe in the first place? Then why say it unless it was a toys out of the pram moment, which I think it was. His own players now know that he thinks they are shite.

I regularly go to see Stockport, currently sitting top of League 2.

They are going well and I hope they go up. I would also expect Dundee and most of the league to comfortably beat Stockport in a one off game.

The players in the league are generally quite big and physical but watching a strangely improved Dundee team and Hibs, St Mirren, Hearts, St Johnstone last week v Celtic and Aberdeen against the Germans, the quality of football is definitely much better but because of an immature fud we are talking down the Scottish game again.

5 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

So you're saying that he is exaggerating something he doesn't believe in the first place? Then why say it unless it was a toys out of the pram moment, which I think it was.

I don't know if he believes that or not. I'm saying he was saying it for effect and whether he believes it or not isn't material. Why? because I think it's a ploy. A distraction from a shit performance or as others have said to build a siege mentality to jolt the players into performing.

Loads of managers have done this kind of thing to motivate their players. I'd say it would be more outlandish if he believed those comments than if he was saying them for effect. That's my point - some people think he was being sincere, I think he was playing a game.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He's  a fucking blowhard arsehole.

Being a Southend fan I've seen a lot of League 1 and League 2 football - the standard of a majority of the teams (including Morecambe) is fucking atrocious.

You lucky duck! I'm a Hereford fan so I've mostly been watching The National League North of late...

I may be misremembering, but i have a feeling our programme notes one time had an innocuous manager comment (think it was either McNamara or Archibald) that had pre-match fluff, to the effect that County would be a hard game for us, as they had more money to spend. Adams threw a shitfit about it iirc, ill have a quick look if i can find something on p&b.

Edit: best i can find but aye, Adams is still a touchy dick

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/partick-thistle-0-1-ross-county-county-procession-goes-on-2472959

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

I don't know if he believes that or not. I'm saying he was saying it for effect and whether he believes it or not isn't material. Why? because I think it's a ploy. A distraction from a shit performance or as others have said to build a siege mentality to jolt the players into performing.

Loads of managers have done this kind of thing to motivate their players. I'd say it would be more outlandish if he believed those comments than he was saying them for effect.

Fergie built a siege mentality by telling his players that the Press and authorities were against Utd, the team put pressure on refs in every game and Fergie wasted no time in calling out officials when yhey had a bad call against them.

He also carefully never criticised players after a game in public even when we all knew they were getting the hairdryer.

Adams hasn't created anything like that here, he has now very publicly told the world that his players and the league they play in are much worse than a lower league in England. The only siege created is he now has a team of players that no longer trust him, would you?

He's made a tit of himself.

Just now, eindhovendee said:

Adams hasn't created anything like that here, he has now very publicly told the world that his players and the league they play in are much worse than a lower league in England. The only siege created is he now has a team of players that no longer trust him, would you?He's made a tit of himself.

We don't know what he's said to the players behind closed doors. As I said to @RandomGuy. time will tell. If his players chuck it then fair enough and they will if they feel he's insulted them and they don't trust him. If they don't though what would that say? So we'll know probably before the New Year.

He's right.

I've been going to matches since 1981.  The standard has declined massively it's not even an argument.  Coaching and players.

Now I understand there will be much younger guys than me posting but you don't even have to be a 'dinosaur' to acknowledge the state our game is in.

I was thinking the other day about the Motherwell side that beat Rangers in the relegation play off.  By league position that's our worst team in the last 20 years yet in terms of talent it was so far ahead of what we watch today it's mind boggling.

In recent years I've seen teams from Wales, Iceland and Ireland pump Motherwell.  And it's not a Motherwell problem, pretty much ever Scottish team outside Rangers and Celtic get humiliated in Europe.  Celtic have dominated Scottish football for a long time.  Their European record is catastrophically bad.   We talk up Aberdeen's European campaign this season.  1 win in 8.  In a dead rubber fixture.

We hardly produce any native talent and what little talent there is gets ground down to the prevailing mediocrity.  The best thing any Scottish player with ambitions can do is get out this league ASAP.....and most of them do.

But forget about words.  Just watch the football.  If you know anything about the game you MUST know it's terrible.  You know what an incomplete pass is right?  You know what an inability to cross is right?  You know what an aimless hoof up the pitch is right?  You know what a complete lack of creativity is right?

The SPL was the worst thing that has ever happened to Scottish football.  We've been in a deep dive ever since and no one has done anything since, except of course, to make things worse.

It used to be a genuine shock when Euro minnows and lower league clubs beat the top level Scottish teams.  Now it's just business as usual.

And that's the problem, we gotten so complacent and so used to the abysmal standards it's just 'normal' now.  It shouldn't be.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's right.

I've been going to matches since 1981.  The standard has declined massively it's not even an argument.  Coaching and players.

Now I understand there will be much younger guys than me posting but you don't even have to be a 'dinosaur' to acknowledge the state our game is in.

I was thinking the other day about the Motherwell side that beat Rangers in the relegation play off.  By league position that's our worst team in the last 20 years yet in terms of talent it was so far ahead of what we watch today it's mind boggling.

In recent years I've seen teams from Wales, Iceland and Ireland pump Motherwell.  And it's not a Motherwell problem, pretty much ever Scottish team outside Rangers and Celtic get humiliated in Europe.  Celtic have dominated Scottish football for a long time.  Their European record is catastrophically bad.   We talk up Aberdeen's European campaign this season.  1 win in 8.  In a dead rubber fixture.

We hardly produce any native talent and what little talent there is gets ground down to the prevailing mediocrity.  The best thing any Scottish player with ambitions can do is get out this league ASAP.....and most of them do.

But forget about words.  Just watch the football.  If you know anything about the game you MUST know it's terrible.  You know what an incomplete pass is right?  You know what an inability to cross is right?  You know what an aimless hoof up the pitch is right?  You know what a complete lack of creativity is right?

The SPL was the worst thing that has ever happened to Scottish football.  We've been in a deep dive ever since and no one has done anything since, except of course, to make things worse.

It used to be a genuine shock when Euro minnows and lower league clubs beat the top level Scottish teams.  Now it's just business as usual.

And that's the problem, we gotten so complacent and so used to the abysmal standards it's just 'normal' now.  It shouldn't be.

Much of what you say resonates. Biggest one for me is the inability to make a pass, giving possession straight to the opposition. They’re paid to pass a ball successfully, but often can’t.

Edited by andrewh

9 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Much of what you say resonates. Biggest one for me is the inability to make a pass, giving possession straight to the opposition. They’re paid to pass a ball successfully, but often can’t.

They're not paid to pass a ball successfully, they're paid to win games.

While there are undoubtedly dung periods of play and stinking individual errors, a lot of the passing inaccuracy is explained by the fact that teams now press the other team in possession to a far greater extent than before. (Almost) every footballer can pass a ball well - look at the warm up drills even in the regional leagues - the key difference is whether they can do it effectively under pressure and with most of your viable passing options being closed down too. 

Scottish football is far more athletic and physically intensive than in decades previously - a Chic Charnley, Andy Ritchie figure would simply not work in a modern-day team. There has definitely been a decline in individual player quality even in recent years - even the second tier is much weaker in terms of individual quality than it was 15 years ago - but the coaching is more effective. 

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I said he was smarter than being emotional about the game. Look at the end of the day it's unprovable. If you want to believe that he meant what he said literally then knock yourself out mate.

He havers 💩  every FACT  he stated about yesterdays game were blatant and incorrect lies

It's absolute nonsense! I've not read all the comments, but:

All three Scottish clubs won in Europe this week, beating clubs from the Bundesliga, Eredivisie and La Liga. 

Saints have five full internationals. Baccus recently played against England at Wembley! He played against Messi in the World Cup!

Adams is a fud, and I hope County get relegated if he remains in charge. 

Got to admire him not mincing his words. 

However, the onus is surely now on him to go do something about it. 

If the game is that shite then it surely can’t be that hard for him to make a meaningful improvement to his team this season and, on the strength of that, the Board will then back him in the transfer market to give him a credible tilt at a cup and Europe next season? 

😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, silvery tay said:

He havers 💩  every FACT  he stated about yesterdays game were blatant and incorrect lies

I agree with you. I don't think he was being sincere because it's obvious rubbish. I think he was saying it as a distraction from a poor performance or for motivation by trying to build a siege mentality.