Edinburgh Derby Thread - The Ghost of David Brent Past

Just now, bennett said:

Like a 3rd rate Kris Boyd basically. We've got a defender who is usually more prolific infront of goal tbh.

You mean you've got a defender who takes a penalty every week.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

could it be that rangers are just a very mediocre side for the money they pay?

Certainly this season it appears we have got very little value for money from our summer signings after a relative high spend.

I think that would also be the case if we were to pay £5m+ for Shankland as some people suggest. 

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The game was exceptionally shite though, even by Edinburgh derby standards the quality was laughably low, particularly when you compare it to the 2-2 draw earlier in the season. I wouldn't expect a Hearts fan to care about that given that you won, but both teams had a major off night last night.

It wasn't exceptionally shite. If anything, I'd say it was typically shite. Games like the 2-2 draw are the exceptions.

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

Hearts are mostly a low block team, Shankland would struggle with his lack of pace against the low blockers and no one is paying £10m for him.

Obviously no one will pay £10m, I'm assuming that was hyperbole.

The rest of that is frothing nonsense.

He seems to have really struggled with teams who have sat in against us.

8 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

The things Rangers have in their favour is its coming to a point where its now or never if he wants to sign for the club he openly adores. He could quite easily be unsettled.

Shankland 'adores' Rangers.

Source: trust me, bro.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It seems you're all forgetting that whatever importance Shankland has for Hearts in their aim for 3rd, he will have even greater importance to Rangers in their aim for 1st.

That's nice. It's unfortunate Rangers are unable to afford him.

57 minutes ago, Girth said:

Looks like Shanks will be off in Jan then.

Thank you.

Only if bigger clubs than Rangers from the English Championship cough up, or the Saudis. It certainly won't be Ibrox.

Sad to see Dundee fans shilling for Glasgow Rangers.

32 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I said it could be. In two years he's 30. Rangers could have moved on by then.

It wouldn't be the first case of a player downing tools.

If he decides to down tools he can kiss goodbye to seeing Germany in the summer. Won't happen.

Hopefully we do let his contract run down and he decides to sign another three-year deal when the time comes.

26 minutes ago, bennett said:

£10m for a player with no pace and who would struggle against low block teams like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, I had a wee chuckle at that.

If sign a striker during this window it'll be a loan deal and that's it. Shankland is perfectly safe at Hearts.

So long as you understand that Shankland won't be joining Rangers next month, that's fine. Perhaps you could pass it on to the rest of the dumplings in your support.

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

Like a 3rd rate Kris Boyd basically. We've got a defender who is usually more prolific infront of goal tbh.

Why is the majority of your fan base chugging themselves silly thinking it's in the bag for this third rate Kris Boyd? 🥴

Are you all just really thick?

22 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That's nice. It's unfortunate Rangers are unable to afford him.

Only if bigger clubs than Rangers from the English Championship cough up, or the Saudis. It certainly won't be Ibrox.

Sad to see Dundee fans shilling for Glasgow Rangers.

If he decides to down tools he can kiss goodbye to seeing Germany in the summer. Won't happen.

Hopefully we do let his contract run down and he decides to sign another three-year deal when the time comes.

So long as you understand that Shankland won't be joining Rangers next month, that's fine. Perhaps you could pass it on to the rest of the dumplings in your support.

Why is the majority of your fan base chugging themselves silly thinking it's in the bag for this third rate Kris Boyd? 🥴

Are you all just really thick?

I was merely poking the koala. 

Happy Chicago Fire GIF by NBC

Thank you. 

Last night's result means that for Hibernian to draw level in the derby head-to-head (assuming 4 derbies a year), they will need to win every derby for the next 21 years.

They've won one in the 2020s and only three in the last five years.

I suppose they'll be hoping their Bournemouth investment is the "game changer". Sadly for them, they are 16-9 behind since the "game changer" of Hearts going into admin (we won 4 of the 5 derbies played while we were in admin with a team of children). And since the next "game changer", Hearts being relegated in 2020, the derby head-to-head is 6-1 to Hearts.

It doesn't really matter what happens. We'll just keep beating them.

And I enjoy it very much.

Untitled.jpg.946cfa75be474b6b54c5207dd5b71654.jpg

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Obviously no one will pay £10m, I'm assuming that was hyperbole.

The rest of that is frothing nonsense.

He seems to have really struggled with teams who have sat in against us.

If either of Shankland or Miovski end up at the uglies then it's because Hearts or Aberdeen have shat the bed.

Celtic won't pay the required fee. Rangers can't.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

He's made it abundantly clear in the past with all his photos during games, going on tours on his birthday and the loveheart emojis - whilst playing  in Scotland.

My source : Shankland's socials, bro.

16 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

If either of Shankland or Miovski end up at the uglies then it's because Hearts or Aberdeen have shat the bed.

Yep.

We'd be looking at 4.5-5m if he was to go in the window. Rangers will baulk at that and we won't be brow beaten into a much lesser fee like they try to usually do.

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yep.

We'd be looking at 4.5-5m if he was to go in the window. Rangers will baulk at that and we won't be brow beaten into a much lesser fee like they try to usually do.

We don't have to be. But I'm not 100% certain that we won't be.

I'd like to trust the board more, but I just don't.

I see no reason to sell for less than £4m whatsoever. We don't need the money, we do need the goals. But I do worry slightly about those making the decision.

I think the Euros help us. He can't just down tools, as it could end up being the biggest mistake of his career. We'll just need to wait and see.

Edited by VincentGuerin

27 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I think Celtic would be silly to overlook someone playing well in Scotland given the way they were stung over the McGinn penny-pinching.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We don't have to be. But I'm not 100% certain that we won't be.

I'd like to trust the board more, but I just don't.

I see no reason to sell for less than £4m whatsoever. We don't need the money, we do need the goals. But I do worry slightly about those making the decision.

I think the Euros help us. He can't just down tools, as it could end up being the biggest mistake of his career. We'll just need to wait and see.

We'll see. I get the scepticism but through comments at the AGM suggested they fully understand his value in terms of the season, and how fans would react to a shite price.

18 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

He's made it abundantly clear in the past with all his photos during games, going on tours on his birthday and the loveheart emojis - whilst playing  in Scotland.

My source : Shankland's socials, bro.

I quite liked the wee c**t too :( 

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

We'll see. I get the scepticism but through comments at the AGM suggested they fully understand his value in terms of the season, and how fans would react to a shite price.

I can understand him wanting to leave. This will be his one big deal, and it's a chance to put away life-changing money, and maybe move somewhere where he wins medals and guarantees a place in the Scotland squad. I've got no issue with that, and I think the cost of getting him to sign a new deal may be prohibative. I think we should have given him a new contract in the summer, and I thought so at the time too.

But I reckon a sensible thing to do now would be to tell him we'll sell him in the summer assuming we get an offer of a certain level, and tell him to get on with banging in the goals to get us third and him to the Euros.