Lewis Ferguson

Bing.McCrosby

Think this guy deserves his own thread.

Ill be honest i didn't think he would do as well as he has done in Italy. He's a player on the up getting touted for juventus and lazio now.

Hes exceeded expectations and continues to get better.

Is it time for him to be in our starting 11? I'd say probably he deserves that chance.

I dont think it will happen now for the euros, but next campaign I would think he will be first choice.

Think it reinforces the point that going abroad will improve you tenfold.

The easy option was always going down south.

Happily more players are now open to a move to the continent.

Just wish (being greedy) our talent was more spread out positionally.

3 hours ago, Venti said:

Think it reinforces the point that going abroad will improve you tenfold.

The easy option was always going down south.

Happily more players are now open to a move to the continent.

Just wish (being greedy) our talent was more spread out positionally.

A bit hyperbolic surely? I think going abroad is certainly more adventurous and will expose you to different styles of football, but it's hardly a rule that it makes you a better player. Not every move works out like Paul Lambert's or Lewis Ferguson's.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

A bit hyperbolic surely? I think going abroad is certainly more adventurous and will expose you to different styles of football, but it's hardly a rule that it makes you a better player. Not every move works out like Paul Lambert's or Lewis Ferguson's.

The only hyperbole is you taking my opinion as canon.

4 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Ill be honest i didn't think he would do as well as he has done in Italy. He's a player on the up getting touted for juventus and lazio now.

Is it time for him to be in our starting 11? I'd say probably he deserves that chance.

I dont think it will happen now for the euros, but next campaign I would think he will be first choice.

The issue continues to be for who though… 

You can’t play one of Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay or McGinn if you want to play Ferguson too. In the usual formation anyway!

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The issue continues to be for who though… 

You can’t play one of Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay or McGinn if you want to play Ferguson too. In the usual formation anyway!

For me the answer to that is clearly McGregor, I've nothing against McGregor before people go nuts.

But you have gilmour there ready to take over that deeper role.

McGregor for me is a guy that could have achieved alot more in terms of making the most of himself had he went abroad or down south to test himself at a higher level.

6 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

For me the answer to that is clearly McGregor, I've nothing against McGregor before people go nuts.

But you have gilmour there ready to take over that deeper role.

McGregor for me is a guy that could have achieved alot more in terms of making the most of himself had he went abroad or down south to test himself at a higher level.

McGregor has been immense for Scotland

From the couple of Bologna games I’ve seen Ferguson looks like he’s up against McGinn/McTominay/Christie for one of the advanced midfield roles. As effective as he’s been it is hard to see him starting ahead of any of those three.

47 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

During the next few campaigns it will be time to phase out the likes of McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor as they're all getting old now. Ferguson would be ideal for this.

Over the next few campaigns we will end up with a completely new team as people get older !! 🤦‍♂️

Shock news coming in hard

43 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

During the next few campaigns it will be time to phase out the likes of McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour and McGregor as they're all getting old now. Ferguson would be ideal for this.

Whit? Gilmour is younger than Ferguson.

Gilmour - 22

Ferguson - 24

McTominay - 27 (just)

McGinn - 29

McGregor - 30

All will be available for the next campaign and only McGregor is realistic to drop out for the one after that (Euro 2028). Given qualification will likely start in March 2027 (?) with the tournament in June 2028 I expect all to be around for both. McGregor being 35 at the tournament will hardly be ancient for a top Scotland player. Whether he is good enough at that point we will have to wait and see.

11 hours ago, Venti said:

The only hyperbole is you taking my opinion as canon.

I didn't take it as canon. If I had I wouldn't have identified it as hyperbole. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, it's Xmas, so let's not start a tedious vocab war. You take my general point that moving abroad can be good for a player, but is no guarantee?

Edited by Gordopolis

16 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

No doubt Lewis Ferguson is knocking on the door. I think he could be a first team player just now if things go for him. As it stands he is probably waiting for something to change. If we look at his game time across 2023 (including friendlies) and compare that to his competition I'd say that is an accurate representation of where he is currently.

Spoiler

image.png.7d45d9efb4fb1205daef196e3e4d958f.png

I think he could potentially play in all of the front-5 positions, but probably less on the left and so his primary competition is most likely John McGinn, Scott McTominay and maybe Billy Gilmour.. I don't think he's reached a standard personally where it is beneficial to the team as a whole to rejig everything (shape, personnel) just to get him - certainly not ahead of the Euro's.

Edited by 2426255

48 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I didn't take it as canon. If I had I wouldn't have identified it as hyperbole. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, it's Xmas, so let's not start a tedious vocab war. You take my general point that moving abroad can be good for a player, but is no guarantee?

Aye, I agree. I guess it's the same in any field of work. Looking for new horizons & trying to grow doesn't always work out.

It's worth a try all the same.

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Aye, I agree. I guess it's the same in any field of work. Looking for new horizons & trying to grow doesn't always work out.

Tbf I know what you mean, when it works out for Scottish players abroad they generally seem to improve at a rate above when they go to England.

The most startling example I can think of is Craig Brewster, who somehow came back from a couple of years in Greece with technical skills, movement and awareness you would never have imagined possible.

9 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Tbf I know what you mean, when it works out for Scottish players abroad they generally seem to improve at a rate above when they go to England.

The most startling example I can think of is Craig Brewster, who somehow came back from a couple of years in Greece with technical skills, movement and awareness you would never have imagined possible.

IIRC he was still ignored by Craig Brown.

Unbelievable !

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Definitely worth trying rather than shying away from in the broader sense. Even if the footballing side of things doesn't work out, living in a different culture, picking up a new language etc are things that enrich your life. There are the players who become homesick too tho and come home pretty quickly. Even then, it's an important life lesson learned.

He's got 5 years on McGinn so would expect to see him brought in whenever he starts to decline 

Another factor is that we've been ***** with ******** over the last few years, in midfield anyway which has meant we haven't had much in the way of forced changes

*Not jinxing it before the Euros