Lewis Ferguson

Bing.McCrosby

Europe looks a certainty for Bologna now, potentially champions league but for sure Europa or Conference League at a minimum.

Wonder if it will be enough to keep him there. Exciting time in his career either way

18 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Europe looks a certainty for Bologna now, potentially champions league but for sure Europa or Conference League at a minimum.

Wonder if it will be enough to keep him there. Exciting time in his career either way

Only a matter of time before Celtgers* come calling imo.

Spoiler

IMG_2755.gif.c171a532d32b0038b940df0c551cf3f2.gif

3 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Doesn't even take the pens for Bologna, don't think there's any reason he'd be no 1 taker for Scotland 

He’s scored 15/16 in his career so far (1 saved by Craig Gordon).

13 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

He’s scored 15/16 in his career so far (1 saved by Craig Gordon).

Couple in a shootout too so it's technically 17/18

On 03/03/2024 at 18:56, MarkoRaj said:

They play Inter next weekend. Almost as big as the game next Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it better to go back to this thread than the other one. A few words from Steve Clarke, basically confirming the obvious and backing up what a few have already suggested regarding Lewis Ferguson.

Lewis has just carried on in the same vein. He’s playing really well and really consistently game in game out and it looks like he’s attracting a bit of attention. I watched his last game against Inter. They lost the game, but Lewis was good, as he always is. His performances are very consistent.

He plays as a pressing #10 and does it quite well, but I’ve used John McGinn in that position before and Scott McTominay is actually playing in a very similar position for Man United at the minute - so I’ve got loads of pressing No 10s.

Billy Gilmour is playing week in week out at Brighton and Ryan Christie has found another level of performance at Bournemouth now that they have tweaked his position a little bit. Then you’ve got the usuals - McGinn and McTominay. So it’s a strong area of the pitch for us. Lewis understands the situation and he understands that we’re very strong in the midfield area. He knows he’s got to be patient to get his chance, but I’m pretty sure when he gets his chance he’ll be ready for it.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24181081.lewis-ferguson-given-scotland-reality-check-serie-giants-circle/ (Paywalled)

I’ve no doubt that Ferguson will become an incredibly important player for us over the next few years. McGregor and McGinn probably only have one more qualifying/major tournament left, after the Euros, so he will start to get more game time.

I’m sure if he came through at any other time apart from this Steve Clarke era he’d be sitting on 20 to 30 caps already but this is the best results/midfield we have had in decades and there is no way it is getting changed up before the start of a major tournament. He doesn’t seem like a daft lad and I’m sure he fully understands why he isn’t playing much just now.

12 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I’ve no doubt that Ferguson will become an incredibly important player for us over the next few years. McGregor and McGinn probably only have one more qualifying/major tournament left, after the Euros, so he will start to get more game time.

I’m sure if he came through at any other time apart from this Steve Clarke era he’d be sitting on 20 to 30 caps already but this is the best results/midfield we have had in decades and there is no way it is getting changed up before the start of a major tournament. He doesn’t seem like a daft lad and I’m sure he fully understands why he isn’t playing much just now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if McGregor and McGinn are both still part of the setup for Euro 2028 aged 35 and 33. I would imagine Ferguson will have established a place in the starting 11 by then though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can't see it mentioned on another thread, but it's apparently a done deal that Fergusons manager at Bologna, Thiago Motta, will be Juventus manager next season.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't see it mentioned on another thread, but it's apparently a done deal that Fergusons manager at Bologna, Thiago Motta, will be Juventus manager next season.

Ferguson being rumoured to join up with him on the bbc gossip column. 

He needs to be starting the next two friendlies

37 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Who does he replace? 

This is the issue but you could argue he could replace Gilmour (great player but off the ball he struggles IMO) or McGregor at the moment if it's a like for like formation or you take one of the CB's out or play without a recognised striker.

43 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

This is the issue but you could argue he could replace Gilmour (great player but off the ball he struggles IMO) or McGregor at the moment if it's a like for like formation or you take one of the CB's out or play without a recognised striker.

Didn't you already discuss this in the thread you created last month?

48 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

He doesn’t play in that position really though. Pretty much all his success this season has been playing behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation rather than as one of the deeper players. I think that’s the main problem with giving him a game as if everyone’s fit McGinn and Mctominay are the two most likely candidates but seeing as they’ve been Scotlands main goal threats for the last few years I’m not sure if I can see Clarke picking him ahead of them. The last friendlies partly showed that Mctominay is not as effective in the deeper role for Scotland so I hope they don’t move him back.

14 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Didn't you already discuss this in the thread you created last month?

Nope you've got the wrong person but nice try at trying to derail the thread.