Lewis Ferguson

Bing.McCrosby

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's got 5 years on McGinn so would expect to see him brought in whenever he starts to decline 

Another factor is that we've been ***** with ******** over the last few years, in midfield anyway which has meant we haven't had much in the way of forced changes

*Not jinxing it before the Euros 

?

The asterisks on PnB can often be predictable but I have no clue here. I imagine you're saying we're spoiled for choice (something with shaggers?).

16 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

McGregor for me is a guy that could have achieved alot more in terms of making the most of himself had he went abroad or down south to test himself at a higher level.

Sorry but this one player this doesn't really apply to. McGregor was never as a generational talent and was mainly seen as a  potential squad filler when breaking through with us, he wasn't a hyped up player you heard about coming through the youth system. From that though he has probably improved just about year on year as a player. He's added more defensive nous to his game past few years also and basically has become a player not many would have seen a decade ago. 

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not one who begrudges those who leave us and totally get why at times they do so I'm not looking at this through a 'CelticDa' eyes only, McGregor is just a bit of a different case to others like Tierney who probably did need to leave to better himself.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Sorry but this one player this doesn't really apply to. McGregor was never as a generational talent and was mainly seen as a  potential squad filler when breaking through with us, he wasn't a hyped up player you heard about coming through the youth system. From that though he has probably improved just about year on year as a player. He's added more defensive nous to his game past few years also and basically has become a player not many would have seen a decade ago. 

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not one who begrudges those who leave us and totally get why at times they do so I'm not looking at this through a 'CelticDa' eyes only, McGregor is just a bit of a different case to others like Tierney who probably did need to leave to better himself.

I would disagree but I see what your saying, I agree hes more of a slow burn than the likes of Tierney.

But id say he could have made that move any time over the last 5 years. And I think he would be a better player for it. Also the argument that his midfield competition all play at a higher level wouldn't be a factor.

5 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's got 5 years on McGinn so would expect to see him brought in whenever he starts to decline 

Another factor is that we've been ***** with ******** over the last few years, in midfield anyway which has meant we haven't had much in the way of forced changes

*Not jinxing it before the Euros 

McGinn looks a bit heavy at the moment. He was blowing out his arse after an hour the other night. 

On 27/12/2023 at 20:34, Venti said:

Think it reinforces the point that going abroad will improve you tenfold.

The easy option was always going down south.

Happily more players are now open to a move to the continent.

Just wish (being greedy) our talent was more spread out positionally.

If his dinosaur of an agent had his way, that's where he would have went.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

He's obviously a good technical player for Scotland, but I think his mental attributes are the reason he's pushing 60 caps and will hopefully end up in the top 10 of all time. There's that desire to improve his game that you've pointed out, and he's also got the intelligence to adapt to so many roles and help two of our best players flourish. I think he'll be a player who Scotland fans will tell their future kids and grandkids about as being the underrated player of this group of players.

I think it's a really good problem to have, and certainly wouldn't be much concerned if an injury to McGinn or McTominay meant Ferguson starting in one of those roles as, as much as it's nice to have someone like Christie (or in a fantasy world a regularly playing Turnbull or Barnes or Anderson (the p***k)) who can bring something different to that part of the pitch having another aggressive, hard working and goal scoring AM to bring in and be able to play without making changes to the overall plan is obviously a good thing. I would like him to play a bit more between now and the Euros though. 

He's unlucky that those two have for now made themselves indisposable, and I'd say if you were looking to (I'm not because they're both class) improve on McGregor or Gilmour you'd be looking at a different type of player than Ferguson. 

Edited by GHF-23

• 1 month later...

Watching Bologna v Fiorentina and Ferguson really is the driving force behind Bologna’s good form.  Excellent cross field pass for only goal of game so far. Notice that he scored again last week

he looks strong and confident on the ball and whilst u don’t imagine he will start v Germany he is definitely a great option off the bench or perhaps a starter in another game if suspensions injury or tiredness affects others ( McGinn for example looked absolutely spent when it came round to the Ukraine play off). Comfortable  that we have a manager who knows better than me and will get the best out of our players 

12 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Watching Bologna v Fiorentina and Ferguson really is the driving force behind Bologna’s good form.  Excellent cross field pass for only goal of game so far. Notice that he scored again last week

he looks strong and confident on the ball and whilst u don’t imagine he will start v Germany he is definitely a great option off the bench or perhaps a starter in another game if suspensions injury or tiredness affects others ( McGinn for example looked absolutely spent when it came round to the Ukraine play off). Comfortable  that we have a manager who knows better than me and will get the best out of our players 

McGinn looks spent now. 

Aston Villa as a team are moving into new territory - increasing the quality and quantity of games at club level. I haven't seen McGinn for Villa so can't really say anything about how he's doing. This season McGinn has played to date 2,884 minutes for Villa across all competitions. Last season he played 2,878 minutes over the course of the entire 22/23 season and that's all before you begin adding in what he does for Scotland. That's just to put into context what is being asked of him at Villa. 

It's maybe something that needs factored in at Scotland, but you could say the same about Robbo or many of our other key players. The top players always play the most games at the highest level and find a way to perform consistently. Balancing the workload between him and Ferguson seems reasonable and might increase his quality of output in the games he does play, especially as he hits 30 and beyond. I could see that happening going forwards.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-mcginn/leistungsdaten/spieler/193116

Our midfield options are actually ridiculous right now

It's a shame we can't play them all.

Trying to pick 4 from Christie, Ferguson, McGregor, McGinn, Mctominay and Gilmour is a selection headache and a half.

Armstrong is also in very good form for Southampton. Been watching a bit of them recently to keep an eye on him and Adams. Whisper it but Ryan Fraser has also been impressive as well the times I've seen him recently.  

On 28/12/2023 at 19:20, Skyline Drifter said:

I think he's saying lucky with injuries.

Seconded , and fingers crossed.

Get well soon Aaron , Andy and Keiran

I am starting to follow the thinking of a fellow P&Ber who assumes it is an injury when certain names come up