Arbroath v Dundee United- 2nd Jan 24

First half there was nothing in until a mistake by Norey gifted them a goal. All United were doing was playing balls over the top which we were dealing with and we created chances ourselves. Second half another poor goal to concede straight away quickly followed by another and game over. Wasn't expecting anything tbh. 

Just now, keptie said:

First half there was nothing in until a mistake by Norey gifted them a goal. All United were doing was playing balls over the top which we were dealing with and we created chances ourselves. Second half another poor goal to concede straight away quickly followed by another and game over. Wasn't expecting anything tbh. 

Bit much blaming Norey, Slater lost it near the halfway line, Hammy caught to far up the pitch, then Norey missed it, a catalogue of errors 

United have the measure of Arbroath and deserved their win - but the score line flatters them.

Losing the 2nd goal gave United the momentum - until then it was a close match.

Overall, another decent performance from Arbroath - confident we will start winning games soon.

As for United, they look sharp, fast and fit - but they had to work for the 3 points.

Good attendance and although Arbroath lost, few teams will get points off United.

Just now, keptie said:

Bad mistake but crosser of ball was yards offside should not have stood far side lino and ref were worse than bad

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

United have the measure of Arbroath and deserved their win - but the score line flatters them.

Overall, another decent performance from Arbroath - confident we will start winning games soon.

As for United, they look sharp, fast and fit - but they had to work for the 3 points.

Good attendance and although Arbroath lost, few teams will get points off United.

Just now, clashcityrocker said:

Also, these are not the games, that will define our season 

I suppose you could say 3-0 flatters us. Equally we passed up 2 or 3 golden opportunities and Arbroath had barely any. 

Thought it was like all our games this season where we create a half decent amount of chances but today a reasonable amount of them went in - although less than I'd like.

3-0 today not really any different to 0-0 v QP.

2 minutes ago, kenwood65 said:

Bad mistake but crosser of ball was yards offside should not have stood far side lino and ref were worse than bad

Yeah i was wondering about that, i was behind the goals and even there i thought he might have been off.

The cross though should definitely have been dealt with.

3-0 was a bit harsh on us but then what do u expect with a squad of only 14 and only 1 recognised defender against much superior opposition. Thought the players gave their all but we desperately need a few signings.

Ref and lino the standard we’ve come to expect at this level…… embarrassing 

Not great but not terrible either. United probably deserved to win but 3-0 was harsh.

Cant really blame anyone for the first goal, more bad luck than anything - looked offside and the ball bobbled over his foot just as Norey was about to clear it. Second looked like Gaston was way too slow to come for it, hesitated then once he decided to commit it was too late.

Ref was awful. Stopped the game twice when we were on the attack which allowed United to organise their defence and I’d love to see what that foul was given for when it looked like we might have scored - a stramash and the keeper rolling about doesn’t automatically mean there was foul play. Sea side linesman was behind the play all game and seemed to be very reluctant to put his flag up.

Showed a lot of fight and on another day could have come away with something. Much more positive than the last couple of games v United, despite the scoreline. A lot to be positive about considering the threadbare, makeshift and walking wounded nature of the squad. Hope we can get some bodies in before the weekend.

Surprised by how positive the Arbroath fans are being about the game. That was as easy as the first two fixtures and could comfortably have  been another 4 or 6. United back on it a bit today and it never looked like anything other than an easy win. 

8 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Surprised by how positive the Arbroath fans are being about the game. That was as easy as the first two fixtures and could comfortably have  been another 4 or 6. United back on it a bit today and it never looked like anything other than an easy win. 

We barely had a team.  Pretty much our entire defence consisted of midfielders, and our main recognised defender, a full back playing at centre back, turns out to have been playing with a broken toe for weeks.  We had 3 subs in total on the bench, and we're a part time team who had not long come out of a bruising game just a couple of days ago.  Off the top of my head, we're missing 2 centre backs, a guy who can cover at full back, our most creative midfielder, the understudy for our most creative midfielder, and probably our best player this season in Hylton.  We started a new signing who hasn't played a game since November, and looked like a lame horse in the last 30 minutes, only staying on because there was nobody else.  Pretty much everyone in that team except Bird and Gaston were playing out of their preferred positions.

All that, and yet it was still a considerable improvement over the utter shambles of the first 2 Dundee United games.  I expected far worse, so aye, I'm reasonably positive.

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We barely had a team.  Pretty much our entire defence consisted of midfielders, and our main recognised defender, a full back playing at centre back, turns out to have been playing with a broken toe for weeks.  We had 3 subs in total on the bench, and we're a part time team who had not long come out of a bruising game just a couple of days ago.  Off the top of my head, we're missing 2 centre backs, a guy who can cover at full back, our most creative midfielder, the understudy for our most creative midfielder, and probably our best player this season in Hylton.  We started a new signing who hasn't played a game since November, and looked like a lame horse in the last 30 minutes, only staying on because there was nobody else.  Pretty much everyone in that team except Bird and Gaston were playing out of their preferred positions.

All that, and yet it was still a considerable improvement over the utter shambles of the first 2 Dundee United games.  I expected far worse, so aye, I'm reasonably positive.

Tinpot.

I thought Arbroath done ok for what we had 2 wingers and a midfielder playing at the back with a left back at centre half.I think 7 players out in total which probably 6 of them start.First two goals should have been avoided,,don t think Gaston had too much to save from United,and don't start me on the ref Colin Steven.

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Our survival is not based on games against Raith or United, our season will be defined by how we do against the rest

18 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That was nothing like the first two games - the first one in particular was like watching e.g. Celtic v Elgin City. It was non stop relentless attack after attack and united could easily have scored 10+ that day.

Up until the first goal, today’s game was reasonably even. Yes United had a couple of decent chances but nothing clear cut. We also had some chances and good attacking play.

The first goal was a complete fluke, the second looked like a poor error of judgement from Gaston and the third came so soon after that it knocked the stuffing out of Arbroath and killed the game as a contest.

Aside from that, we looked energetic, dangerous at times and never gave up. As has been said already - considering the mess we’re in at the moment re squad size, injuries, literally one “fit” defender who is playing with a broken toe and the fact that most of our players must be running on fumes - then it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been or actually should have been.

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

That was nothing like the first two games - the first one in particular was like watching e.g. Celtic v Elgin City. It was non stop relentless attack after attack and united could easily have scored 10+ that day.

Up until the first goal, today’s game was reasonably even. Yes United had a couple of decent chances but nothing clear cut. We also had some chances and good attacking play.

The first goal was a complete fluke, the second looked like a poor error of judgement from Gaston and the third came so soon after that it knocked the stuffing out of Arbroath and killed the game as a contest.

Aside from that, we looked energetic, dangerous at times and never gave up. As has been said already - considering the mess we’re in at the moment re squad size, injuries, literally one “fit” defender who is playing with a broken toe and the fact that most of our players must be running on fumes - then it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been or actually should have been.

Whatever gets you through the night.

19 minutes ago, ecto said:

Our survival is not based on games against Raith or United, our season will be defined by how we do against the rest

Aye, sure. Just not feeling the same vibes from that game that the home fans seem to be feeling. We've had plenty of games this season which have ended up as comfortable wins but which were in the balance for long spells. Today wasn't one of those days.