The halfway (or slightly beyond) report..

4 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

This thread would quite interesting if I knew who half the posters supported.

For United, we've been better than I expected but I think that's mostly down to the standard of the rest of the league.

I think we'll win the league but not as confident as I was due to Raith's excellent run..I don't agree that we'll splash the cash. I just think we'll keep our form up and Raith will gradually fall away.

I was a little worried about United before the last couple of results seem to have steadied the ship. 

It would be nice to be top again, but like you, I expect Rovers to drop a few more points from here on in. Then again - what if they don’t?  How many fingers does that monkey paw have left?

An absolutely ridiculously fun season from our perspective as you'd imagine. This is only the third time there's been two teams on 40+ points at the half way mark since it's moved to 3 points a game.

We've scored 16 times in the final 15 minutes of matches, with numerous last minute winners. In three of those games we were trailing with 5 minutes to go, and went on to take all 3 points.

There have been long running hoodoos which have been shattered. We'd not beaten Caley since the early 2000s and have now won against them twice. We'd not won at East End Park in a decade and have went there this season and won three times. 

Murray has done brilliant to add to the squad to provide strength in depth. Stanton and Easton have both been the two standouts, and Lewis Vaughan is top scorer in the league. 

In our last two home games, we looked quite flat, and understandably there's a feeling that with their financial pulling power United should have an edge, but we got back to winning ways in the derby.

Whatever happens, this has been one of the most enjoyable to be supporting the club. There's a real unity between those involved with the club and the supporters at the moment. With Ian Murray and Stanton both committing to new contracts it's hard not to have belief that if it's not this season, we're going to be in a great position next season to kick on. 

We managed to get rid of jug ears so that’s a positive at least. 

Much improved after the first 6 games of the season where we had only taken 1 point. Can see there’s a clear style the new gaffer wants to play but don’t think we’ve quite got the personnel to play at the moment. The squad assembled by Dodds and Robertson is utter shite, once you go past the first 11 there’s very little quality.

If the league had started from Dunc’s first game we’d be 5th (if my auntie had baws etc) so there’s a marked improvement. Saying that, we were very poor against Morton in Greenock and against Airdrie the other day. 

Surprised that Queens have been as poor as they have, as last season they looked one of the better teams I’ve seen at this level. 

Outside Raith, Dundee United and Partick I don’t think there’s much between any of the rest. 2/3 wins on the bounce can send you flying up table, the beauty of a ten team league I suppose. 

Raith have excelled this year. Thought they would be a playoff team but not a genuine championship challenger. Their strength in depth is key to their success as they are one of the few teams in the league that don't lose quality on the pitch when subs are made.

Dundee Utd are underperforming which makes me doubt Goodwin's credentials given the resources he has available.

Dunfermline and Airdrie have done  surprisingly well given they are newly promoted.  Dunfermline are the more convincing of the two but are still a pretty bang average side. That suggests to me that the quality of the league is not as strong as last year.

Thistle are pretty much where they should be given their squad. I expected more of Ayr and thought they would be a serious playoff prospect even without Akinyemi.

As for Queen's, this season has been a disaster.  Early season thoughts of a 3rd-4th playoff spot have evaporated into despair.  Our very young, talented lads, just are not ready for this level of football, particularly when they have to play dull, slow, possession based football that seems unsuited for this league.  Relegation beckons unless there club takes dramatic action in January and there is no hint of that happening

Dundee United

Raith

Partick

Dunfermline

Ayr

Airdrie

Morton

Inverness

Arbroath

Queens Park

I don't think Raith will last the pace, they have rode their luck for a great deal of the season and once that stops, they will fall away. Dundee United have had poor spells but I think they will be a competent, dull champion come the end of the season.

Thistle are consistent but suffer the odd wobble. will 100% be in the playoffs and I think their consistency will see them in the playoffs weeks before 4th is finalised. 

Dunfermline haven't been exciting or dreadful so that gives them the edge over the rest of the pack. 

Morton have shown that they are paper thin and that will hinder them. Imrie will most likely be at Livingston by March the way things are going. 

Airdrie have been a good football side but have very little end product. Winter and teams strengthening will hamper them but they are doing more than enough to stay clear of relegation.

Inverness could be a worse team coming out the window which doesn't bode well. I think they have enough to stay clear of the bottom two.

Arbroath have been up and down all season, I think they will be 9th by a fine margin, maybe by 1-2 points

Queens Park are through the looking glass now and should be a warning to Ayr. too much  emphasis on science & data and not enough on actual football. The last manager was a bit of a car crash, possibly because they had made big strides under old school managers, maybe too quickly. A data driven approach from day one might have seen a more organic development. 

Ayr are going through a cycle of winning games and drawing against the same clubs, we’ll lose to Morton, Arbroath, Thistle, Dundee United, we’ll compete against Dunfermline, Raith, Airdrie & Queens Park. Inverness is the only outlier. It’s all became so predictable. 
We are bringing in players that aren’t good enough, losing out on players every window that would definitely improve us and have had an unbalanced squad since Mark Kerr was manager. 
We have players like Chalmers & Murphy who are top class championship players, McGinty has become un-droppable and not just because the rest are crap. Young is a good player but the rest are pretty interchangeable. Dowds has been a good focus person up front but will be struggling to hit double figures in the current set up. 

Ayr could finish anywhere between 4th and 10th currently but Tuesday was a big moment, I don’t think there is anyone at the club who thinks that result was acceptable or a one off and if we drop points at all, people are going to demand change. From that point of view, we’ll either improve or there will be major changes to the management. Saturday will be the biggest game of the season for a lot of reasons. 

Been a good season so far-obviously with supporting Raith most of the games have been cracking to watch and some of the Friday night games on BBC have been the same.

Great season so far for Raith-not sure where we’d be if we hadn’t scored those late goals against Partick in the first game of the season. Think it’s just a case of trying to stick with United,keep applying pressure and see where it takes us.

Sure Dundee United are more than happy with their current position-goals against column for them might be the difference.

Going to be an interesting month ahead….again.

Surprise package for me are the Pars.Just promoted…lack of transfer activity…some amount of injuries and they’re up challenging for playoffs.

Disappointing team has to be Queens Park.Looked good against Raith at times but we’ve looked every team look good at times when we’ve played them. Did they win there first 3 games and not won since??

Wee shout out for Morton as well.Sticking with Imrie when folk were right out his back-some turn around.

1. Raith (heart) United (head)

2. United (heart) Raith (head)

3. Partick

4. Pars

5. Morton

6. Airdrie

7. ICT

8. Ayr

9. Arbroath (relegated via playoff)

10. Queens Park

As a season where we came into it in a state of financial distress the club has moved to make us more resilient in that sphere.

That has been stabilised thanks to hard work off field and the crowds have been decent this year.

On the playing side we lost 4 key players and had to go for some untried players or ones with injury issues and filled out the squad with loans.

We have also extended the contracts of some of our remaining potential assets and important players.

The recruitment has been hit and miss. Neilson has been good. Wasiri Williams has come onto a game. Robinson has spent most time unavailable as has McGinley. Same with Ngwenya.

McInroy and Alston have shown up well at times but also been found missing at other times, even in the same game.

McDonald isn't cutting the mustard and Adeloye is going that way after some decent cameos and goals. Williamson has faded out the picture too and is rumoured to be off to Hamilton.

Ben Stanway has done very well in his first real tilt at first team football. 

Results determine where you are and the league table is a fair reflection of where we are, on the field. Way ahead and more consistent than the bottom 7 and behind the top 2.

Disappointed with performances against Dundee Utd, with Friday being even worse than the 5-0 pumping.

The Raith games were disappointing in that we should have won both but they have this penchant for late goals.

I'm confident of at least third as not anyone rising from the mediocre mire below. I feel United will edge out to win the league from Rovers. There is a chance we could get closer to Raith as they've hit a relative wobbly period but that is a big ask. Raith may well add to their squad or at least not lose any key players. They have had large investment, increased their season tickets and average over 4000 at home games.

The management need to make 2 or 3 additions in January. A defensive midfield in the Doc mould. Another winger and a central defender. Possibly another striker unless Tomi can pull up his socks in the New Year.

It is still a period of transition for the club, management and the squad but we are doing pretty well, I would say. We will look to improve and build up momentum,  going into the playoffs.

TL;DR Half time report.

Club B+

Recruitment C-

Performance B

Management B

Overall B

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't think Raith will last the pace, they have rode their luck for a great deal of the season and once that stops, they will fall away. Dundee United have had poor spells but I think they will be a competent, dull champion come the end of the season.

I don’t think they will win the league either, but I’m not entirely sold on the ‘riding their luck’ thing. Looking at both games against us, where they came from behind late on to get something, in the first one they took advantage of a tactical change from us which didn’t work and, despite us being the better team for most of the game, they fully merited a point. In the second, they were the better side throughout, and arguably it was only an element of misfortune with the own goal that had let us into the match at all. The late goals I view a bit like a striker constantly scoring tap-ins - it’s not luck anymore at a certain point. 

Ultimately, I think that Dundee United having the best defence in the league by fucking miles and being (normally) pretty ruthless against teams will see them over the line - I simply wouldn’t see United dropping points from 2-1 up against 10 men as Raith did against you lot. It has to be said though that both Raith and United look far, far better than either of the Killie or Dundee sides that won the league. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t think they will win the league either, but I’m not entirely sold on the ‘riding their luck’ thing. Looking at both games against us, where they came from behind late on to get something, in the first one they took advantage of a tactical change from us which didn’t work and, despite us being the better team for most of the game, they fully merited a point. In the second, they were the better side throughout, and arguably it was only an element of misfortune with the own goal that had let us into the match at all. The late goals I view a bit like a striker constantly scoring tap-ins - it’s not luck anymore at a certain point. 

Ultimately, I think that Dundee United having the best defence in the league by fucking miles and being (normally) pretty ruthless against teams will see them over the line - I simply wouldn’t see United dropping points from 2-1 up against 10 men as Raith did against you lot. It has to be said though that both Raith and United look far, far better than either of the Killie or Dundee sides that won the league. 

Against Ayr, a combination of Bullen trying to shut the stable door before the horse bolted, failing to realise the door had a massive horse shaped hole in it and players that he hadn’t played regularly, blowing out their arse after an hour. Late winners are the same as winning ugly, it can only go on so long. 

Teams have worked Raith out now and margins are finer, With injuries and suspensions kicking in over the next month or two, they will start to drop more points, as will most teams but in a league of 10, it tends to do more damage. 

I’d always prefer a Thistle, Raith, Arbroath to go up than one of the old guard, Kilmarnock were mince in a mince league they should have won by March, Dundee were the least shite last year and almost went up by default. 

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Ultimately, I think that Dundee United having the best defence in the league by fucking miles and being (normally) pretty ruthless against teams will see them over the line - I simply wouldn’t see United dropping points from 2-1 up against 10 men as Raith did

Pretty impossible to disagree.

They’ll certainly drop some more points but as you mentioned they can shitfest a 1 nil lead and if in the mood hand out a scudding. Hard to see how they don’t win the league. 

The optimism we have at Raith is an even though it’s been a banger season so far there’s a feeling we can do more and there’s improvement possible. Jan transfer ins or outs may be a decider in that however we’ve not had a settled back line for months and with all the attacking talent on display we should be able to win some games with more comfort.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

This thread would quite interesting if I knew who half the posters supported.

Try a different reader than the phone version. The tablet and PC views show “My Team: XXX” for posters…

Edited by TxRover

45 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I haven't watched them against anyone else, but both times they've come back to beat us late on it has been self inflicted - mental subs, stupid fouls (including an injury time penalty), and ridiculous naivety from a team that has absolutely no idea how to see out a result. We should probably have taken at least 4 points from them.

I can't imagine it's been the same for all of their comebacks though; the key is quite clearly that they made a lot of quality signings in the summer and their squad has the depth (and right attitude) to dig in even late into games. Most of us are making substitutions that ultimately weaken the quality on the pitch, but the same can't be said for Raith.

An unmitigated disaster, driven by people who are all “project” and no football, forgetting that the latter is the most important part in terms of delivering on the former. 

With our resources, we should be having a solid season, maybe not troubling the top four, but certainly not being at risk of going down. Big over performance on the park last season, the opposite this season. A complete clusterfuck off it and everyone involved in the decision making should be embarrassed. 

Our turnaround in form is largely down to injured players returning (as well as the signing of Strapp), but as others have noted we are still paper-thin. We may have had a full bench on Tuesday but that did include youngsters who, really, should be out on loan.

14/18 points since the start of December is a phenomenal return considering we only picked up 4 in the 6 games prior - with those at an awful Ayr side, and in the QP game where the squad had to swim up to Hampden.

The next two, United away and Partick at Home will be much tougher, but after those (and Montrose in the cup) we have a fantastic run of Arbroath (H), DA (A), QP (A) and Airdrie (H), which we should be looking at 8-12 from (Dunfermline and Airdrie being the two I'd take a draw from)

If we can take that many points from those games (all against teams around or below us) and get something from United/Partick, I think we'll be just fine. Wins against Dunfermline and Airdrie would put us in a fantastic position to go for the playoffs.

I'll take mid-table this season, considering the awful first half we suffered. Playoffs aren't impossible, though.

Recruitment wise I think we need to try and sign Strapp and Wilson on to the end - although Dundee and Kilmarnock are both interested in the former, so I doubt he'll be around too long.

Wilson has been good and has said he wants to stay beyond his loan spell - which is up this month, I believe - and can play in plenty of positions, something we really do need.

As for the division generally - it appears to be dividing into three mini-leagues; the top three, the three below them, and the bottom four. Although anyone seemingly can jump from the bottom to the middle pack. It's very hard to call anything from 4th down.

Think most Morton fans were very concerned after the first third, losing 8 of out first 12 games and sitting bottom. 

Since then, we've massively improved, undefeated in 6, 4 clean sheets, looking very solid and pretty much all are injured players are back.

Seen a comment above that we have a thin squad but with injuries clearing and loans returning, we are sitting with 21 players at the moment so no concerns there. Would imagine we see some movement this month, both ways.

Still think we can finish anywhere from 3rd to 9th but we need to be targeting top 4 with the run we are on and no reason we can't get there.

Disappointing that we haven't beat anyone above us in the league yet and that will need to change if we want a top 4 finish.

Think DU will get over the line, just. Raith will run them very close.

QP need a miracle. 15 games without a win is horrific and I can't see them surviving unless they get the cheque book out. Nuts to think they are only 3 points off 9th with the run they are on.

I think we've done okay given it's our first time back in the league. Last season we had great fun, clean sheet records, long winning runs which led to a title win. It was never going to be easy coming up but a good home win against Airdrie and a point at Tannadice (nearly three) and things were looking good. However, it's been very inconsistent and stop start. We played Morton at East End, winning 3-1 and looked like we could have a real impact at the top of the tree. The following week or two we played Thistle at Firhill, got emptied 3-0 and looked like we'd be scrapping around the relegation playoffs.

Been said a million times and not saying we've had it any harder than others, but our injury record this year is dreadful. Mehmet was out for months, Bene and Breen out for months, came back and are both out again. Todd and KRH both out for months, came back and now both long term injury again. Fisher's been in and out with injuries, and Lewis McCann. We have Ben Summers who's looked great when available, but also missing for weeks at a time. O'Hallaron and Jakubiak took a while to get going. I think everyone in the squad apart from Edwards, Comrie and Chalmers have missed out due to injury at some point.

Mehmet, Bene, Breen, Todd, KRH, McCann, Summers would all likely be starters so to have them all repeatedly missing is tough. However, was that poor planning by the manager/board? Who knows, no one could foresee the injuries. KRH for example has had three different surgeries on three different parts of the body, since thee end of last season Matty Todd could be about to have a fourth surgery, again all unconnected.

I think the general feeling is that we didn't sign enough or add enough quality in the summer. McPake always talks about not signing for the sake of it, and only adding if they'll improve the squad. Great approach, but in hindsight a couple more squad players wouldn't have done any harm. I'd go as far as saying I'm disappointed with the summer window. We got some good young guys in permanently from Premiership clubs but maybe not enough experience and quality. We also didn't address the striker issue. We weren't big scorers last season, and knew something had to give with Wighton, McCann, Todorov and O'Hara. I'd have kept Wighton, McCann and Todorov but we only kept the first two and didn't really replace them. Jakubiak is a good player, but it was all very last minute and he's not an out and out goalscorer/striker. Good hold up play, but two goals so far isn't what you need in this league.

I've been impressed with Raith. Good team, a lot of quality and plenty pantomime villains (from a Dunfermline point of view). Off the field stuff has been good, on the field has been better. Hasn't been enjoyable getting defeated four (for now) times but these things don't last forever.

The rest of the division kinda speaks for itself. Maybe didn't expect QP being at the bottom after last season but I don't want to talk too much about that in case they give us a pasting tomorrow...