2024 Travel Plans

1 hour ago, LuboMoravcik said:

There are a lot of pros to travelling solo. I went to Helsinki by myself last year and used an app and ended up going out for drinks with locals. It was a great laugh. No concerns waiting for someone to get ready to go out or picking somewhere to eat either.

100%, I went to Amsterdam with 2 of my mates a few years back, and we nipped back to the hotel for a quick shower and get changed. 

Half an hour later two of us chapped on our mates door and he answered saying he was just about to jump in the shower as he’d been on the phone telling his mum all about his day…

• 3 weeks later...

Had a #madwan at the weekend and have booked Liverpool in August and Manchester in September. I kinda remember Manchester and who is going. Nae idea who I'm going to Liverpool with. 

Hotels paid for though so need to find out soon.

• 2 months later...

Bodrum in Turkey for me next week, 2 weeks sat on my arse in the sun having a tipple.

No excursions or sightseeing at all.

Bliss.

Have a couple of weeks off at the end of September/Start of October, so heading over to Belgium at the end of September for a long weekend. Probably stay in Ghent and head to a ffewgames.Then over to Ireland for tge following weekend. Again for a couple games.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Going to Benidorm but no transfers booked from Alicante yet. Should I bother or just jump in a taxi? What would I expect to be paying?

Don't know specifically about Alicante taxis, but if it's anything like Palma airport in Majorca I'd think about just taking one from the rank when you arrive, after asking the fare of course. I booked one in June from Sun Transfers, plane was delayed and they never showed up, was told by the firm that because the delay was more than 5 hours I'd lost the ride and no refund. The cab from the rank was about 2/3rds of what I'd paid Sun Transfers.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Going to Benidorm but no transfers booked from Alicante yet. Should I bother or just jump in a taxi? What would I expect to be paying?

The Spanish have a "rideshare" app called Cabify.

I used it several times when in Seville last year, worked a treat. It's very similar to Bolt and Uber.

16 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Had a look on Google maps,  it's estimating €65-80 with Cabify.

Screenshot_20240716_143106_Maps.jpg

Cheers. That seems to be about the process for booking a private transfer and anecdotally, about the taxi price too. 

17 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If you're on your own there's a bus on the hour which drops you at Ave. Europa in Benidorm, it's €7.99 and is only about 10-15 minutes longer than a taxi.

On 15/07/2024 at 21:55, Bairnardo said:

I asked a friend who lives in Benidorm how much a taxi from the rank would be:

Depending on what "part" of Benidorm (La Cala, Old Town, New Town, Rincon) I would estimate somewhere around €100-€120 for the single journey.

You're better off with a pre-book. Beniconnect go from about €65 each way. Try them or Alicante Transfers.

If speed isn't your top requirement, Beniconnect's Express Shuttle is €17.50 each way and only takes about an hour plus the odd stop to drop off.

• 1 month later...

Already had 4 days in Sorrento and 2 weeks in Riviera Maya.

Now have 10 days family holiday in z villa in Dalyan - we did the same last year as well.  I like Dalyan as it's nothing like the AI cattle markets in Bodrum, Antalya and Marmaris.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last 5 weeks in Singapore, Australia, then Japan.

Was only in Singapore for 4 days as I've been there several times now. Did 12 days in and around Melbourne, highlights were going to an Aussie Rules game at Melbourne Cricket Ground, seeing wild kangaroos and koalas, and feeding kangaroos at a sanctuary. Rest of the trip was spent exploring Japan. Started in Osaka, then went to Nara, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Yame, Tokyo, and Yokohama. Really enjoyed seeing the atomic bomb dome in Hiroshima, and the tea ceremony we went to in Yame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2024 at 12:19, Arch Stanton said:

Managed to get a cheeky £50 return to Riga in a couple of weeks time. Got an AirBnb in the Old Town.

Anyone have any recommendations for pubs, local food places, sights?

Central market is good for a wander. Also a decent sized bit in there with Latvian food and local beers.

I like Art Nouveau and there was a nice house museum next to a street that is mostly that type of building (thats also a nice walk from old town as there are big parks in between).

If going to KGB building, book a tour. You can't walk around without one other than a tiny room that tells you virtually nothing. Museum of Occupation was interesting and well done I thought. Almost next door to that is Salve Restaurant which had a good traditional menu.

Bar wise, Armoury Bar was more interesting than I was expecting and had some good beer and spirits. I don't know for certain, but I'd advise going when think it'll be quieter as likely to get more out of the weapon side of things

I liked Riga, but if I was doing it again I'd have had more of a plan what bars and restaurants we were going to go to try. Might just have been unlucky but wasn't like a lot of great cities where you just seem to stumble on traditional and/or interesting drinking/eating places.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Holiday Song

I liked Riga too.  Backpacked from there up to Kaunus last year. The medical museum was different.  One of those things you stumble across and just give it a try. Not for the easily squeamish.

20230819_210419.jpg

20230819_200720.jpg

20230819_152246.jpg

20230819_130220.jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army