Alloa 3 Edinburgh City 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

I thought the boy Deane looked really good. Granted it was only one game but definitely looked like he had something about him.

I also thought he looked decent. I don't think too many of their players would make our team, but that side was clearly a good bit better than the pretty much under 20 team they've been fielding of late. It should get better as they gel too and perhaps the biggest challenge will be keeping that work rate and application up if they're losing regularly. But while it's a huge ask to stay up, they could still be potentially awkward opponents in the weeks and months ahead. 

I wouldn't be too hard on Alloa yesterday. On a hiding to nothing really being expected to win against a side who turned out to be better than expected. The boys got the job done in the end and without a few good players too. I wouldn't be as negative about our prospects overall either. Falkirk and Accies are miles clear but other than that nobody else has looked particularly impressive (to be fair even Accies haven't been impressive against Alloa!). Andy is going to be learning on the job so there is no pressure on him to reach the play-offs but neither is that an outlandish prospect. If we get something like the best team out regularly it's very possible. 

Edited by Waspie

On 07/01/2024 at 00:31, tamthebam said:

I thought we'd done enough to get a point but we have had a habit of losing late goals. The third one was rather annoying it has to be said. A point would have been a nice boost to the lads and I suppose we've got a free hit next week against Falkirk (😬)

Something I have to unfortunately mention- I've been going to the Recs for 35 years. I've been an away fan of Meadowbank there, seen random Alloa games, women's cup finals and even a BSC game once. I enjoy the soup and the pie on a roll. I've always regarded the ground as one of the safer places to go, the Wasps fans to my experience are passionate but not nasty and the Wasps P&B posters are good guys. 

Unfortunately two of our young fans were attacked in the KFC just after the game by a not very brave mob of 20. One lad suffered a burst lip and had his glasses broken (poor lad is blinder than me!) and the other lad seemed to be ok if a bit shaken. Both lads look (and I don't want to embarrass them) as if they couldn't fight sleep to be honest. They did say there had been a little bit of banter in the KFC between them and the neds (for want of a better expression) and then one of them just punched our fan out of the blue. Very brave of 20 of them to take on two thin laddies who were on their own and I can't help thinking if it was, say, Falkirk who had been visiting the neds would have scattered long before that with trousers a shade of brown. 

I've never experienced much trouble watching City over nearly 30 years (and that includes a friendly in an open prison!). We're pretty harmless on the whole, there's no rivalry between us and Alloa, and I'll still regard the Wasps as one of the better clubs. It just leaves a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth and I hope the good guys at the Recs will condone this behavior. 

Appears this is the third successive issue after incidents with Montrose and Hamilton in previous home games. There are a swathe of youngsters around the 14/15 year old age group who attend home games from time to time- some are into the team but seems a few may be more interested in a scrap with fellow young teams from away fans. In the past its been restricted to the local games against Stirling and Falkirk whether it be home or away. I witnessed supporters walking a gauntlet from Forthbank up to the train station after the last game there a couple of months back. Word appears to be spreading that there's potential for scraps which some appear to be latching on to. If its a gang of 20 as mentioned Im not even convinced that all of these youngsters are even coming into the ground to watch games. Obviously 20 vs 2 isnt right in any circumstance and if it was my son on the receiving end Id want something done about it.

Asked around but have yet to see a true account- the issue is that 99% of Alloa supporters head towards town after the games and all these incidents are all happening at the "away" side of the ground which directly leads out of Alloa.

This type of stuff needs to be cut out- decent fans can certainly self police in the ground but as I say, difficult after matches where most folk head back into the town centre absolutely none the wiser.

16 hours ago, Waspie said:

I don't think too many of their players would make our team, but that side was clearly a good bit better than the pretty much under 20 team they've been fielding of late. It should get better as they gel too and perhaps the biggest challenge will be keeping that work rate and application up if they're losing regularly. But while it's a huge ask to stay up, they could still be potentially awkward opponents in the weeks and months ahead. 

Agree- thought they were way better than that Peterhead shambles that visited last season for example.

Nice to see the club condemning the actions, hopefully they find those responsible and ban them from the ground. No doubt they'll be back to hiding behind the security guards when Falkirk come in a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I'm not even convinced that all of these youngsters are even coming into the ground to watch games.

decent fans can certainly self police in the ground but as I say, difficult after matches where most folk head back into the town centre absolutely none the wiser.

Seen it all now and while I don't want to downplay what happened at all, as you say it's not fans there to see the football.

Ally Roy's goal went in at 16:48:37 on Saturday, Kev's goal was a minute earlier and none of these 'fans' have seen them because they've already left to get to the away side. Pure trouble making for the sake of it.