Alloa 3 Edinburgh City 1

Important win in the end for Alloa after a pretty frustrating afternoon. City were better than expected and the new players clearly made a difference. If they can keep getting that team on the pitch regularly they should be capable of picking up some points and won't be the walkover of the last few weeks. From Alloa the tempo was never quite right today and too many players off the boil, trying to force it. Having managed to get ahead we then conceded from what was pretty much City's only chance. Thereafter we huffed and puffed but for long enough it looked like the goal wouldn't come. Indeed, we almost got caught on the break with 10 minutes left. 

The team kept going though and finally got the goals we needed. After a couple of games of late when we probably didn't get the results our performances merited, it was nice to win late with an untidy goal (the one to go 2-1 ahead at least). Roy's goal for the third was excellent. 

Will need to be better next week but a welcome win. 

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How was young Finlay Marshall for Edinburgh City today? Have seen him in a few games over the last year. Big step up and will take him to develop but could be a player there.

Wasn't one of the ones to catch my eye. Judging by the fact I questioned if he was playing for the first 65 minutes odd. Didn't mind Deane and Zaid but understandably not a great Edinburgh side. 

We were defo off it today but a lot of credit for that to EC who were not nearly as bad as i thought they were .

pity we didnt really start to play until EC got the equaliser, thought it was going to be one of those days ..

Great goal from Roy though and good to see us grind it out when we are not playing so well . 

3 points the most important thing today but we made hard work of it, the two goals right at the end making the score a bit more flattering.

We had a lot of good build up play but I can't really remember either keeper having many saves to make, maybe one or two each. Hard to judge from the other end of the ground but the Edinburgh goal looked like we made a couple of defensive mistakes.

Hopefully Buchanan isn't too badly hurt and is available next week.

I thought Edinburgh competed really well today and that was the main reason the game was a close one. We deserved the win despite at times being a bit loose.

Overall I liked that the team kept trying to play football and create something that way rather than just resorting to lumping balls forward or into the box.

It was fitting that Kev got the equaliser as he looked our most likely option to create a goal; Cammy's crosses being our other main threat.

Wales did well again and both Roy and Steven brought plenty to our attacking efforts; one or both will likely start next week I think (especially if Buchanan is injured).

Defence was OK and Stevie H/Kurtis did what they do in the middle, which is a lot.

Good three points and keeps us in the mix for fourth place. 

Edited by printer

I honestly thought we were really poor today and got lucky with the deflected second goal. Up till then we hardly worked their goalkeeper in the second half. 

We have had some great teams over the past decade or so but we are bang average this season. Credit to Andy Graham getting some results with a poor squad. 

Our centre of defence is as weak as we have had for many years and we won't trouble the chasing promotion pack. Just glad we seem to be steering ourselves away from trouble at the bottom. 

Edinburgh were ok and a lot better than I expected and many of their players would walk into our starting line up. 

I thought we'd done enough to get a point but we have had a habit of losing late goals. The third one was rather annoying it has to be said. A point would have been a nice boost to the lads and I suppose we've got a free hit next week against Falkirk (😬)

Something I have to unfortunately mention- I've been going to the Recs for 35 years. I've been an away fan of Meadowbank there, seen random Alloa games, women's cup finals and even a BSC game once. I enjoy the soup and the pie on a roll. I've always regarded the ground as one of the safer places to go, the Wasps fans to my experience are passionate but not nasty and the Wasps P&B posters are good guys. 

Unfortunately two of our young fans were attacked in the KFC just after the game by a not very brave mob of 20. One lad suffered a burst lip and had his glasses broken (poor lad is blinder than me!) and the other lad seemed to be ok if a bit shaken. Both lads look (and I don't want to embarrass them) as if they couldn't fight sleep to be honest. They did say there had been a little bit of banter in the KFC between them and the neds (for want of a better expression) and then one of them just punched our fan out of the blue. Very brave of 20 of them to take on two thin laddies who were on their own and I can't help thinking if it was, say, Falkirk who had been visiting the neds would have scattered long before that with trousers a shade of brown. 

I've never experienced much trouble watching City over nearly 30 years (and that includes a friendly in an open prison!). We're pretty harmless on the whole, there's no rivalry between us and Alloa, and I'll still regard the Wasps as one of the better clubs. It just leaves a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth and I hope the good guys at the Recs will condone this behavior. 

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Unfortunately two of our young fans were attacked in the KFC just after the game by a not very brave mob of 20. One lad suffered a burst lip and had his glasses broken (poor lad is blinder than me!) and the other lad seemed to be ok if a bit shaken. Both lads look (and I don't want to embarrass them) as if they couldn't fight sleep to be honest. They did say there had been a little bit of banter in the KFC between them and the neds (for want of a better expression) and then one of them just punched our fan out of the blue. Very brave of 20 of them to take on two thin laddies who were on their own and I can't help thinking if it was, say, Falkirk who had been visiting the neds would have scattered long before that with trousers a shade of brown. 

I've never experienced much trouble watching City over nearly 30 years (and that includes a friendly in an open prison!). We're pretty harmless on the whole, there's no rivalry between us and Alloa, and I'll still regard the Wasps as one of the better clubs. It just leaves a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth and I hope the good guys at the Recs will condone this behavior. 

The last time Falkirk were here, their "casuals" left early and were waiting at the gate and our "casuals" were hiding behind the security. 

With the young Raith Rovers fan earlier in the week and now this, Scottish football as a whole really needs to start looking into the rise of young casuals coming to games for a fight not the football.

Hope the two youngsters are OK and it doesn't put them off supporting their club away from home.

Sorry to hear about the two lads and hope they are doing okay and won't be discouraged from going to the football. Really pathetic behaviour that needs to be stopped. 

11 hours ago, Oweny said:

I honestly thought we were really poor today and got lucky with the deflected second goal. Up till then we hardly worked their goalkeeper in the second half. 

Completely agree with that, thought we were off it all over the park yesterday. Thought Cawley was the standout and looked best centrally but also did well when moved wide. Shame Buchanan picked up the injury as he was having a field day down the right for the first 40 minutes. 

Great for Bobby Wales to follow up his first goal with another this week, wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see him going on a run of scoring. Ally Roy’s goal was also a sublime finish. 

Hope the 2 Edinburgh lads are alright this morning. Absolute rats the group that did it. As others have said, utter cowards who go hiding as soon as there’s a large group against them. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Something I have to unfortunately mention- I've been going to the Recs for 35 years. I've been an away fan of Meadowbank there, seen random Alloa games, women's cup finals and even a BSC game once. I enjoy the soup and the pie on a roll. I've always regarded the ground as one of the safer places to go, the Wasps fans to my experience are passionate but not nasty and the Wasps P&B posters are good guys. 

An absolute f*****g disgrace, these little idiots are an embarrassment to the club and something needs to be done. Unfortunately like various incidents this season they lead to ordinary fans getting targeted at games.

Just about to head to my MMA training and can't help but think these a*e h***s would benefit from the discipline of something like that and coming face to face with guys that can genuinely fight and will keep them in check. Unfortunately the flip side is some of them might take the skills and use them to cause more havoc.

Also think the Alloa police need to do more, seen them hanging about at the end of the game, where were they when the incident happened yards from the ground.

Hope the two youngsters are okay and from all decent Alloa fans we are genuinely sorry.

As for the actual game, agree with a lot of the previous posts that we were really poor and grinded out a win.

Kevin Cawley for me was by far the best player on the park and is easily the best midfielder at the club. Under used by Rice, when Scougall returns, he should be starting in front of Coulson,  Roberts or Hetherington. 

I really like Buchanan and he is a real handful for defences, two assists and a goal in the last two games, is evidence of that.

Good to see Wales and Roy getting goals and out of the three loans they would be the two I would keep.

I do think we could do with another quality defender and back up goalkeeper in during the window but let's see what happens. Realise we would need to move on players as Rice has left us with a huge squad, but there are plenty of candidates if anyone would take them.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

As for the actual game, agree with a lot of the previous posts that we were really poor and grinded out a win.

Kevin Cawley for me was by far the best player on the park and is easily the best midfielder at the club. Under used by Rice, when Scougall returns, he should be starting in front of Coulson,  Roberts or Hetherington

I really like Buchanan and he is a real handful for defences, two assists and a goal in the last two games, is evidence of that.

Good to see Wales and Roy getting goals and out of the three loans they would be the two I would keep.

I do think we could do with another quality defender and back up goalkeeper in during the window but let's see what happens. Realise we would need to move on players as Rice has left us with a huge squad, but there are plenty of candidates if anyone would take them.

It would be crazy to drop either of those two IMO, they are the heart beat of the team. I'd always start Kev though - it's one of the best things Andy G has done so far, playing him regularly and getting him involved more centrally. Tbh I'd start him over Scougs - his end product is much better.

I think it should be pointed out also that Brian Rice was far from the only manager who failed to get the most out of the wee man, although he did indeed take it to extreme lengths.

I can remember jim goodwin using wee kev a bit sparingly too , but as said Brian rice took it to another level, 

Regarding the EC fans who were attacked  my sympathies and best wishes , i hope the club can do something about it and maybe we can help in identifying the little scrotes if at all possible and having a word so to speak , as usual this will cost the club in some way and tarnish the real alloa fans , Looking back i think in consolation to Edinburgh they can still hurt teams if they play as they did against us and hopefully sneak some points against our rivals .  

9 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I can remember jim goodwin using wee kev a bit sparingly too , but as said Brian rice took it to another level, 

Regarding the EC fans who were attacked  my sympathies and best wishes , i hope the club can do something about it and maybe we can help in identifying the little scrotes if at all possible and having a word so to speak , as usual this will cost the club in some way and tarnish the real alloa fans , Looking back i think in consolation to Edinburgh they can still hurt teams if they play as they did against us and hopefully sneak some points against our rivals .  

5 players or so brought straight into the team, some hadn’t even trained I believe. Hopefully see an improvement before going to Annan with a couple of weeks under the belt.

14 hours ago, Oweny said:

many of their players would walk into our starting line up. 

Apart from Liam Fontaine you're surely having a laugh?

We were wasteful all game and still won at a canter in the end.

9 hours ago, printer said:

It would be crazy to drop either of those two IMO, they are the heart beat of the team. I'd always start Kev though - it's one of the best things Andy G has done so far, playing him regularly and getting him involved more centrally. Tbh I'd start him over Scougs - his end product is much better.

I think it should be pointed out also that Brian Rice was far from the only manager who failed to get the most out of the wee man, although he did indeed take it to extreme lengths.

IMO both Hetherington and especially Roberts are totally overrated, realise I am probably in the minority but not been impressed by either this season.

No realise Rice isn't the only manager to use Kev sparingly but given the general weakness of his squads compared to Goodwin's midfield options, then it highlights his general incompetence. That and trying to play your best attacking midfielder as a right back.

Edited by Magic Hat

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Apart from Liam Fontaine you're surely having a laugh?

We were wasteful all game and still won at a canter in the end.

I thought the boy Deane looked really good. Granted it was only one game but definitely looked like he had something about him.