🔵🔴 The Caley Vs Dundee United 🟠⚫️ - BBC Scotland friday night extravaganza

4 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Aye cos your record of just the four seasons down is so much better

It’s actually only three times in the last decade - I’ve started backwards from this season for both clubs.

Nevertheless, whether that makes it so much better is open to interpretation.

- Apologies to any Inverness fans still on this thread having to read this discussion.

3 hours ago, arabdelic said:

Dundee FC whose crowning achievement over the last 45 years is to finish at the dizzy heights of 5th it the table. Who can forget the absolute delirium at Pittodrie among the fans and Bonetti running on the pitch as Dundee secured the great achievement of getting in to the top 6. The delirium was short lived as they went to administration not once but twice. Now they are boasting about just being the top league for 7 out of the last 10 seasons.  At least I have the lived memories of seeing my club win the league, The Scottish Cup , League Cup and play in a European Final.  I cant begin to imagine what it must feel like for having a number of seasons in the top flight as the only thing to cling to. 

Apologies if my comment about United spending as many seasons in the Championship as the Premiership over the last decade has upset you.  In fairness to yourself I am only assuming it has upset you judging by the tone and content of your reply.  

Again, apologies if my comment did not upset you and that’s simply the usual way you respond. 

5 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

I completely overlooked the shift in big team power in Dundee. Got to say that Utd have been in slow decline over the last 10 years and it is highlighted even more so with this season playing in the Championship while Dundee are in the top flight with one more appearance in ten years at that level.

I even googled it and the only answer was Utd from 6 years ago based on league and league standings, how times have changed.

Must have been the 70's the last time such a change happened in Dundee.

It’s probably just a blip.   United are pulling in 8,000 a week in the Championship while Dundee were just over half of that last season. 

Even in those ten years where Dundee have apparently reasserted themselves, they’ve finished above 8th in the table once, and that was only sixth, although that was their only appearance in the top six since the millennium.  They haven’t reached a cup final for over 20 years.

Despite a horror decade, United have finished 4th twice and 5th once, they’ve finished in the top six on ten occasions this century and played in five cup finals.  

It’s a little hasty to suggest Dundee are now the big club in the city again.  

Oh, and next year it will be 20 years since they won at Tannadice. 

Edited by adamntg

9 hours ago, adamntg said:

It’s probably just a blip.   United are pulling in 8,000 a week in the Championship while Dundee were just over half of that last season. 

Even in those ten years where Dundee have apparently reasserted themselves, they’ve finished above 8th in the table once, and that was only sixth, although that was their only appearance in the top six since the millennium.  They haven’t reached a cup final for over 20 years.

Despite a horror decade, United have finished 4th twice and 5th once, they’ve finished in the top six on ten occasions this century and played in five cup finals.  

It’s a little hasty to suggest Dundee are now the big club in the city again.  

Oh, and next year it will be 20 years since they won at Tannadice. 

Those Blips seem more a like boom then bust pattern in the last 10 years, 4th then relegation, a promotion bounced 5th then relegation again. I'm sticking to the pattern in the last ten years which is recent history, since its more relevent to now. Fans often fall into the trap of talking up long past achievements from further back as if it was yesterday and that doesn't really help in the present, different times, different era. I certainly am aware of that with my club and how much shrinkage and decline can happen in a very short time and how fans deny the complete reality check of the present, since all those past successes are filed away in the memory along with how it seemed our summers used to be more sunny in the past and how you used to leave your house doors open without fear of being robbed.

Pulling in 8,000 a week and playing in the Championship twice in ten years asks questions about how the club is run especially when clubs who regularly get less are able to sustain their place in the top flight such as Motherwell and St. Johnstone. Cup success of which Utd have had none in the last 10 years also have little bearing on sustaining a club at a desired league level, which was my point and the main goal in a football season for any serious club.

The suggestion that Dundee are now the top team in Dundee on league placings is not that far off being correct if it hasn't already happened, there is a definate change happening as Utd slip futher down and Dundee are starting to look the more stable club of the two on top of that. St. Johnstone have taken over as the big team on Tayside over the last 10 years that cannot be desputed, certainly been overlooked.

Certainly worth a thread on its own discussing what makes a comparitive big club, there would be plenty of differing opinions on the subject. Any takers?

Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday are more or less level in the league just now.  It would be a bit of a stretch to say that Rotherham were now one of the big teams in South Yorkshire. 

Like Wednesday, United have been in a slump.  Remember Celtic spent most of the 90s struggling in the league, didn’t mean they weren’t one of the two giant clubs in the country. 

Dundee are behind United by most metrics just now, except league performance of course.  Not miles being, but they are behind.  United’s average attendance this season, in the second tier, is higher than Dundee have managed as far back as I was able to check.  Closest I could find was around 7,000 in 2001 as they almost spent their way into oblivion  

Where Dundee do have the opportunity to become the big club in the city is if Nou Campy gets off the ground.  A spiffy new stadium can spur clubs on, I could see them capitalising on new facilities like that to improve their status and attract the next generation of fans.

Or they can go like Darlington and their new ground. 

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday are more or less level in the league just now.  It would be a bit of a stretch to say that Rotherham were now one of the big teams in South Yorkshire. 

Like Wednesday, United have been in a slump.  Remember Celtic spent most of the 90s struggling in the league, didn’t mean they weren’t one of the two giant clubs in the country. 

Dundee are behind United by most metrics just now, except league performance of course.  Not miles being, but they are behind.  United’s average attendance this season, in the second tier, is higher than Dundee have managed as far back as I was able to check.  Closest I could find was around 7,000 in 2001 as they almost spent their way into oblivion  

Where Dundee do have the opportunity to become the big club in the city is if Nou Campy gets off the ground.  A spiffy new stadium can spur clubs on, I could see them capitalising on new facilities like that to improve their status and attract the next generation of fans.

Or they can go like Darlington and their new ground. 

Don't you guys give away like 5000 tickets!?