🔵🔴 The Caley Vs Dundee United 🟠⚫️ - BBC Scotland friday night extravaganza

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Why not? A stack of utter diddy outfits paying four figures each week in wages for the bulk of a squad of absolute jobbers. 

Which is why they spend every summer trying to hoover up capable players in the Scottish leagues to enhance their largely mediocre squads.

You've made my point.

More money= better players = better football 

48 minutes ago, 9queens said:

I went to Salford v Mansfield this season The standard of league 2 was miles  ahead of the average Scottish Championship game.

I think Dunc is just shit

Come on Del. Salford aren't even a proper team. 

Considering our injuries, that is an excellent result for us. Obviously biased but it was not a penalty, however Tilsons clearance saved us, if that had gone in, I doubt we would have come back. Neither team really deserved a win, it was dire stuff but these are the results that can define a season. Thought Greive worked hard, it will be interesting to see him with Moult and Wotherspoon supporting him. Hope the two weeks off will see players return from injury.

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

And given the aims of their "project" I would suggest financial investment gives no guarantee of good quality never mind success. 

Forget Salford then. Mansfield beat them and were excellent. Good stadium and pitch. Great away support. £15...let me repeat £15. That alone tells you it's better league...more for less.

Also beer.

10 minutes ago, 9queens said:

Forget Salford then. Mansfield beat them and were excellent. Good stadium and pitch. Great away support. £15...let me repeat £15. That alone tells you it's better league...more for less.

Also beer.

Oh I'm not arguing with your main point re the quality of league 2. I've watched a fair bit of it over the last few seasons.

Just felt Salford was an awful example that more money means improved quality or success. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 minutes ago, 9queens said:

Also beer.

If only there was some logical explanation why English lower league clubs can afford to lower ticket prices compared to the Scottish Championship.

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Carson absolutely boiling at the ref at the end there. An angry man. I suspect that’s why the other half preferred wee Midge after all. 

Calm down David. 

Imagine being on the side of a guy who was shagging his team mates other half while he was grieving for his father. That's proper John Terry behaviour right there.

3 hours ago, 9queens said:

Also beer.

Mansfield are a very handy team and Nigel Clough is underrated as a manager.

Would be surprised if they don’t get promoted this season.

6 hours ago, Supercaleyman94 said:

Imagine being on the side of a guy who was shagging his team mates other half while he was grieving for his father. That's proper John Terry behaviour right there.

Especially when that other man has routinely had epic meltdowns on social media where he was abusing his former partners. 

A good all round game for us but sadly lacking up front, the loss of Wotherspoon was telling and we definitely need a couple of front men in this week, pleased with the team and if we had had a striker we would have walked that game,  Dundee United looked very much like a mid table team last night and it seems the early league performances are well behind them, some of their fans on this thread moaning they are missing a couple of players through injury but I can't see that would have made a difference, Watt looked like he just finished a pint of lager and a bag of crisps and then turned out for his pub team.

But what is it with Shaw as we could have done with some of the brilliance he showed last season, best we drop him now.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

A good all round game for us but sadly lacking up front, the loss of Wotherspoon was telling and we definitely need a couple of front men in this week, pleased with the team and if we had had a striker we would have walked that game,  Dundee United looked very much like a mid table team last night and it seems the early league performances are well behind them, some of their fans on this thread moaning they are missing a couple of players through injury but I can't see that would have made a difference, Watt looked like he just finished a pint of lager and a bag of crisps and then turned out for his pub team.

But what is it with Shaw as we could have done with some of the brilliance he showed last season, best we drop him now.

Whilst I agree we didn’t look good at all, I think having Gallagher, Docherty, Sibbald and Moult available (plus Wotherspoon when he signs) will make quite a difference.  They are arguably our 5 best players!

ICT passed it about quite well (certainly better than us) but never really looked like scoring, McKay was coming back too deep into an already crowded midfield and you never had much threat in our penalty box as a result.  Imagine Dunc will be signing at least one new attacker this window.  They won’t get relegated but think making the play offs will be beyond them this season.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Four clean sheets in the last five, three wins in four, missing half the first choice team and still managed to somehow grind out a result.  

Watt’s drop of the shoulder to lose the defender and set up Meekison for the shot in the second half was the best bit of skill all night, and then he popped up with winner at the death.  Wish he was in my pub team!

I think it's been forgotten because Raith Rovers seem to score last minute winners every week, but we must have won a lot of points this season due to goals in the last five minutes of games. Says something about the team, anyway.

If ICT had got the point that their play most probably deserved, I'm sure they would have been satisfied with their evening's work. While it's true that other than the first half effort headed off the line, they failed to convert their possession into clear cut chances, it's worth remembering that the Dundee United defence is in very good form, and the four clean sheets out of the last five is a stat that emphasises that.

Obvious frustration at losing the game so late on contributed to the over the top protests at not being awarded a dubious at best penalty claim, but Cally put in a decent if not particularly exciting shift on the night.