Best Championship XI So Far

Shamelessly stolen idea from the transfers boy on Twitter - what is everyone’s best XI they have seen so far this season?

Here’s mine: 

Dabrowski

Megwa - Gallagher - Holt - Milne 

Byrne - Docherty 

Fotheringham - Stanton - Easton 

Moult 

Could have made cases for a few, tough one was Moult over Paton up top but went for the United man given some crucial goals he has notched. 

Edited by RaithRyan

• RaithRyan changed the title to Best Championship XI So Far

Walton 

McMillan Gallagher Holt Milne

Fotheringham Brown Docherty Easton

Moult Paton

Honorable mentions: Dabrowski, Stanton, Vaughan, Graham, Fitzpatrick, Lawless, Wotherspoon, Chalmers

Im only there half the time now and I've stopped watching other team's highlights.  Just Ayr games and what's on BBC Scotland now so some of mine may be wild.  

Ridgers

McMillan Neilson Holt Strapp*

Lawless Docherty Crawford Cudjoe

Vaughan Muirhead 

Spoiler

* I can't remember any left backs having good or bad games that I've witnessed, he played in the most dominant display a team had over us so gets in. 

It’s always hard to do an 11 based on the overall performances of the season as you have limited viewing of other sides so end up picking based on reports or fan views elsewhere rather than what you’ve actually seen.

My 11 based on actual performances against the Rovers, in full knowledge many of these would not actually be in the running for the ‘team of the season’ (looking at you Francis Amartey) would be:

McKenna (QP)

Megwa (Airdrie)     
Fordyce (Airdrie)    
Gallagher (Dundee United)  
McMann (Dundee United)

Spong (QP)    
McInroy (Partick Thistle)

Chalmers (Ayr)  
Crawford (Morton)    
Amartey (Ayr)

Moult (Dundee United)

There definitely seems a shortage of decent left backs in this league, Strapp appears the standout but hasn’t played against us yet this season. Honourable mentions to Anton Dowds, Billy McKay, Ewan Otoo, Craig Sibbald and Ruari Paton who have all impressed me.

From the Rovers, I would say Easton, Stanton, Vaughan and Byrne would all be in with a shout. Euan Murray started very well but his form has dropped off a bit recently due to him managing various knocks.

I'm not going to list my own personal 'dream team' simply because other contributors to the thread are already 100% nailing virtually all of the players I'd also put on my wishlist. I'd really like to see @RaithRyan tot up everyone's picks and generate a votes-based result at the end of the thread. A team which would slaughter either of the ugly sisters, thereby definitively proving why the Championship is the #1 competitive league in the UK. Or Europe. Or quite probably - The World.

All the best from Greenock, everyone.

Edited to add - when compiling your dream teams, don't forget our two back-to-back perfect hat-trick scorers last week. Hint = you'll find Robbie Muirhead right up there in the top 4 of the Championship's top scorers list. You'll all need someone in your teams who can pull the rabbits our of your hats with a moment of inspired genius - often consisting of a 30-yard 'screamer out of nowhere'. I'd strongly recommend the laddie to all of yous.

Edited by Chippyminton

Purely from Pars games I've seen and the occasional BBC Scotland game. 

Adams - Goalscoring threat throughout the team. 

Truth be told Dunfermline haven't put any team under much pressure that a keeper has had the chance to stand out, but even in the BBC Scotland games I've seen the standard of goalkeepers throughout the league just looks utterly shite tbh. Utds keeper might be decent but I've never had to see him do much. 

McMillan - Chucked him in because everyone else has tbh, no one sticks in the mind. 

O'Reilly - Scored a double against us, looked good. 

Holt - It was always going to be one of the Utd centre backs, Gallagher didn't have a great game at EEP though so in ye come. 

Edwards - Class pler, him and Strapp are the two best left backs in the league imo. 

Stanton - Some would say Raiths season has started to falter since Ali Adams scored a thunderb*****d from the prom in Kirkcaldy, realistically this guy holds it all together, baller. 

McInroy - Partick have been very decent against us this season and I've really liked McInroy. 

Easton - Been a big fan of his sinse his Kelty days. 

L Chalmers - We got scudded 1-0 by Ayr earlier in the season and he looked a class above, lord know why United have loaned him out. 

Cudjoe - Looked fantastic against us at Tannadice earlier in the season and I'm sure he set up the winner at EEP. 

Paton - 10 goals in that rancid QP team is some going. 

I'm going purely off the league games so didn't include the Challenge Cup, League Cup or Scottish Cup where we played United and Raith. 

Going to be quite bitter here and say we have arguably 2 if not 3 of the best fullbacks in this league albeit 1 injured longer term. 

Purely based on what I’ve saw though.

Dabrowski for his performance in the 1-1 draw.

Full backs I’d genuinely take ours

Centre Halves Holt, and Gallagher as in two games we couldn’t lay a glove on them.

Wide players Fotheringham, L.Chalmers and Hylton all stand out. 

Centre mids I found tougher but I would say Sibbald and Stanton 

Strikers are a bit more obscure but the 30 mins Jakubiak played against us he looked unreal and pretty much ended Taylor Sinclair’s season that will live with me all season and also very very impressed with Bird at Arbroath  

Dabrowski
Megwa - Gallagher - Holt - Ballantyne
Sibbald - Stanton
Chalmers - Wotherspoon - Fitzpatrick
Moult

Focused on players who've done well when I've seen them, hence not many outfielders for Raith. Kai Fotheringham and Anton Dowds unlucky to miss out and Jermaine Hylton unfortunate that I missed the 4-0 game at Gayfield or he'd likely be in. 

Dabrowski 

McMillan, Gallagher, Holt, Milne

Chalmers, Docherty, Byrne, Easton

Graham, Vaughan 

Honourable mentions to Moult, Sibbald, Wotherspoon, Fitzpatrick and Paton

Edited by JagsCG

Considering Dundee United conceded just seven goals in their first 18 games, I’m amazed that only one person so far has Walton in their team.

I’m sure the defence deserve a lot of credit but seems logical that most Best XIs so far would have to overwhelmingly feature all those involved in building the league’s best defensive record?

United, Rovers and Thistle should make up the bulk of any selection, with the odd honourable mention here and there. Although find it very difficult to make the case for a Dunfermline player; maybe Josh Edwards at LB/LWB just for consistent decent to good performances.

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Considering Dundee United conceded just seven goals in their first 18 games, I’m amazed that only one person so far has Walton in their team.

I’m sure the defence deserve a lot of credit but seems logical that most Best XIs so far would have to overwhelmingly feature all those involved in building the league’s best defensive record?

United, Rovers and Thistle should make up the bulk of any selection, with the odd honourable mention here and there. Although find it very difficult to make the case for a Dunfermline player; maybe Josh Edwards at LB/LWB just for consistent decent to good performances.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but for me it’s just that, whenever I’ve seen United play, Walton hasn’t actually been required to do anything. He probably is a very decent keeper, but I’ve just not seen him have to be one. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not sure about anyone else, but for me it’s just that, whenever I’ve seen United play, Walton hasn’t actually been required to do anything. He probably is a very decent keeper, but I’ve just not seen him have to be one. 

Exactly this we couldn’t get near the goals to test him hence their centre halves being my picks for those positions 

Dabrowski

McMillan Gallagher Holt Harper

Sibbald Easton Fotheringham

Moult Vaughan Paton

Brilliant to see Cammy Harper continues to go under the radar as the best left back in the league. Been our best player by a mile this season

Edited by scottbamby
Forgot about Easton and McMillan!

8 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

Brilliant to see Cammy Harper continues to go under the radar as the best left back in the league. Been our best player by a mile this season

Half the top flight is paying attention...

Edited by RandomGuy.