Airdrie v St Johnstone

Is it Airdrie, Airdrieonians or Airdrie United nowadays? f**k knows.

Anyway, the worst Saints team in a decade versus the best Airdrie(?) side in decades, what could go wrong?

f**k all. 0-3 you dirty Airdrie scumbags.

Feel like a couple of signings will be dropped straight in for this?

Could see...

Mitov

Keltjens - McGowan - Gordon - Robinson - Gallacher

Smith - Phillips - Carey

Kimpioka - Clark

... as the starting line up, but Carey probably pushed high and it being more 3-4-3

Mitov

McGowan  Gordon  K.Smith

Keltjens     Phillips  Gallacher

Smith

Kimpioka     Clark       Carey

Pretty adaptable line up that could change formation several times during the game if needed.

Nice to see a Saints line up full of international caps again. Now just go out there and show that class.

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Have Airdrie had any Livi type issues with the pitch in the cold weather?

-5 with plenty rain to freeze solid forecast for next week. Not sure much can be done to stop it freezing either...

It's meant to thaw a bit come through weekend though... 

I think we had a home game against Dunfermline postponed for that last season but it’s very much a rarity. Forecast looks a bit warmer on Friday and Saturday as you say so fingers crossed it’s fine. 

Strange game this, probably a draw neither team were too excited about. We have a very good home record, particularly  against Premiership teams recently, comfortably beating Motherwell and St. Mirren in the last couple of years with a narrow win over Dundee and an extra-time defeat to Ross County this season too. St. Johnstone have improved under Levein but seem to have had a pretty poor cup record since winning the double.

Hopefully Megwa is back with us for this game. We can get by without him but it does mean McCabe dropping back or ATS coming back in for the first time in about six weeks, neither of which are ideal. Can’t say I’m confident we’ll win but we’re on a good run at the moment so I’m expecting a tough game.

14 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think we had a home game against Dunfermline postponed for that last season but it’s very much a rarity. Forecast looks a bit warmer on Friday and Saturday as you say so fingers crossed it’s fine. 

Strange game this, probably a draw neither team were too excited about. We have a very good home record, particularly  against Premiership teams recently, comfortably beating Motherwell and St. Mirren in the last couple of years with a narrow win over Dundee and an extra-time defeat to Ross County this season too. St. Johnstone have improved under Levein but seem to have had a pretty poor cup record since winning the double.

Hopefully Megwa is back with us for this game. We can get by without him but it does mean McCabe dropping back or ATS coming back in for the first time in about six weeks, neither of which are ideal. Can’t say I’m confident we’ll win but we’re on a good run at the moment so I’m expecting a tough game.

Cheers!

Hope it does go ahead of course. Midweek rearrangements are a pain! We had one years ago against Albion Rovers that I think was postponed 3 times 😣

In terms of draws I think mostly Saints fans were happy with it. As it was a draw against someone we've not played against in years. Change of scenery and all that! 

While I obviously don't follow any other clubs results over closely but since the draw I've noticed you've been in good form 👏

Cup form especially in the Scottish Cup since the double has been rubbish, I don't think we've one a single tie since 🤣.

51 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Midweek rearrangements are a pain! We had one years ago against Albion Rovers that I think was postponed 3 times 😣

Aye.

Funnily im sure i was only able to go thanks it being rearranged so much, any other date i wouldnt have managed.

Game was Ali McCanns debut for us, which looking back was overshadowed at the time due to Kanes hat trick and Kyle McLean scoring.

Funny how Stevies May debut was also a midweek game (v Airdrie, my only ever visit to the ground) and he was overshadowed (before the game) by other youngsters.

As Mr November says we've given a good account of ourselves at home to a few Premiership sides in the last couple of years, the caveat being that the Motherwell, St Mirren and Dundee wins were all in the League Cup group stages (and all in the first 2 group games I think) and I always feel like the Premiership teams aren't really up to speed by that point and shocks are more likely, like Ayr, Stenny and Stirling beating St Johnstone this season I guess. So I don't read too much into those.

That said, the draw and ET defeat with Ross County in the last 16 is probably a better indication of our level when we play well at home, so I'd expect a similar kind of result here. I think we'll lose by the odd goal, but also wouldn't be surprised if we pulled a result out the bag.

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I always feel like the Premiership teams aren't really up to speed by that point and shocks are more likely, like Ayr, Stenny and Stirling beating St Johnstone this season I guess. So I don't read too much into those.

Aye.

Fairly sure we went into those games with about 10 fit players.

FWIW wouldn't be shocked at all if we lose, and was surprised this wasn't picked by TV as it seems an obvious one for a "shock".

Edited by RandomGuy.

45 minutes ago, The red diamond said:

Celtic woman and Rangers woman are playing at the stadium on Friday night

Old firm wrestling? Whatever next 🤔

50 minutes ago, The red diamond said:

Celtic woman and Rangers woman are playing at the stadium on Friday night in the womans scottish cup semi final, so hopefully the pitch should be OK for Saturday.

Whatever happens on Saturday Levein and all his media mates will be moaning good style about the pitch,  to be fair you could record his interview just now.... 

The sport scene cameras will be there apparently, probably get a 2 minute highlight reel before they gush about the old firm again 

Looking forward to this one as a nice distraction from league business. St Johnstone will come down the road as favourites but as posters above have said we’ve given Prem teams a wee shock at our ground recently and our Cup form this season has been grand.

Hopefully we hang on to Megwa for a week longer to give us the best chance of a Cupset… going to say it’ll be tight and end up 1-0 either way.

I personally don’t think there’s much difference in quality between the top half of the championship and the bottom half of the premiership.

As virtually everyone has pointed out, we have performed very well against premiership teams in recent years so I have absolutely no concerns about playing a Craig Levein St Johnstone side.

0-4 St Johnstone win. 

5 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I personally don’t think there’s much difference in quality between the top half of the championship and the bottom half of the premiership.

As virtually everyone has pointed out, we have performed very well against premiership teams in recent years so I have absolutely no concerns about playing a Craig Levein St Johnstone side.

0-4 St Johnstone win. 

I think while on any given day a top half championship side can and will often beat a bottom half premiership side, I actually think there is quite a gulf to be honest. Sort of depends on the clubs to be fair. Dundee and County were able to throw a relatively decent amount of money at their squads after promotion that I'm not sure an Airdrie or and Ayr would be able to. Not to say if you got promoted you wouldn't stay up, but bar Utd, I'd imagine pretty much every player from the bottom 6 clubs would be a starter for the top 6 championship clubs (Ali Crawford aside).

On this game in particular, it's almost impossible to call for me. Despite all I say above, we have been rotten for most of this season and while doing OK under Levein, are still a team with problems and turning over a few players in this window. Throw that, plus the break, the pitch, weather and a very decent Airdrie side and I'm not sure anyone could be confident of predicting anything here.

For me, Airdrie should never have been anywhere but where they currently are or higher and are getting the consistency that the size of club deserves. Obviously the last 20 years has impacted the standing to an extent and I would assume crowd sizes, but given the history, stadium and rivalries Airdrie would bring, I'd much rather Airdrie in the top flight than a County or a Livi. Airdrie fans will I'm sure have less care for Saints, but for many Saints fans probably late 30's and older, Airdrie have a big significance in the post Muirton era for the club given the 89/90 season and the name alone stirs something extra than probably most other clubs. 

39 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Few people in the Saints thread have been asking how many we've sold. Anyone on the Airdrie side know?

I may be wrong but it seems to be poor sales. Loads of folk I know that would normally go are missing this one.